What Do You Place A Wedding Cake On?

Decorating By chris814 Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 5:18am by bmoser24

chris814 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris814 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing my first wedding cake and I'm not sure what to sit the cake on. I usually wrap my cake board (my husband cut several round boards from plywood) with aluminum foil, but I don't want to do that with a wedding cake. Is there something I can use to cover the board with?

7 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 8

I use freezer paper (you can find it with the foil, etc in the store) shiny side up. It's stronger than any other covering and neutral in color (not that it will be seen).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 8

I use foamcore boards covered with fondant, and a ribbon glued around the edge.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

I've done a variety of things. Silver colored boards, gold colored boards, fondant covered boards, or a wacky cake stand! And a lot of peopel place them on the silver/nickle plateaus.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

Colored florist foil.

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:52am
post #6 of 8

I'm very new to this but I can say I don't like the silver plateaus they look so dated... I think the foamcore is a great idea, much more modern.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:52am
post #7 of 8

designer gift wrap.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:18am
post #8 of 8

I go to Home Depot, or Walmart and buy white contact paper. The home stores have wider rolls. Cheap, clean, and easy. I always place my bottom tier on a cake board then onto the contact paper covered foam core board with ribbon. Depending on size, I double or triple the foam layers. And add finger room "feet" with scraps underneath, or in my pics I used square candle holders, upside down, with petals inside. If you add feet, support edges where cake actually sits, and in the center...after all it is foam board. I can make a board under $10 feet and all. I find the brides like the board clean and neat.
Blessings~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%