Satin Ribbon Question For Wedding Cake?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:26am by fishabel

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:44am
post #1 of 14

Hello, this is my first real 3 tier wedding cake. I need help with the ribbon, my bride wants a purple satin ribbon around each tier, with a tinier ribbon around the base of that purple ribbon. I have heard if you put saitin on buttercream it gets oily?? What is the easiest way to attach a ribbon on a cake, and then a second ribbon over that one?

Since its a satin ribbon I just dont want it to look like oil spots on it once it sits with teh buttercream?? or am i wrong?

13 replies
lillielu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillielu Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 14

Check out the post from 8/29/10 entitled ? Ribbon on buttercream from sandy1, and i think you will find some good answers to your questions.

lillielu

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:22am
post #3 of 14

When it comes to buttercream I always put a layer of stickytape on the back of the ribbon. I always have three different thicknesses of tape in my shop for that reason. Just make sure it's completly covered to stop any oil getting through.

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:30am
post #4 of 14

Thanks for you help! Fishabel, where do i find stickytape??

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 14

You can buy grease-proof ribbon made specifically for cakes.

I have also pre-greased my ribbon. It worked fine, but it does change the origional color of the ribbon. It makes it darker.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 14

the sticky tape idea sounds good but what I do is (sounds and is messy but it works) use shortening and spead a thin layer on each piece of riboon,after you have it measured and cut to fit, smear it completely on the riboon and then wipe it clean with a paper towel. I've done this after I saw the oil spots bleeding through the ribbon. This way all of the ribbon looks the same.

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks! I wonder if the oil/ only shows in satin ribbon? or all?

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 14

I was just re-reading this post for the third time, i think stickytape is just regular tape, when i asked that question i thought is was a specific type of tape, silly me..

KristiBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristiBrooke Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 14

My question...is tape food-safe? Since the tape will be right up against the icing. For that matter...is the ribbon food-safe? So many things to consider!

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 14

My bride does not care about food safe ribbon, she picked it out, and she also wants stick on crystals, which certainly are not food safe and i informed her of that. They will pick them off..lol brides want, what they want, and when is the last time someone got sick off of ribbon honestly, babies have sucked on blanket/ribbons/ect since time..

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 14

I cut a same size strip of freezer paper as the ribbon and iron it on, shiny side next to the ribbon. It adheres perfectly. Food safe, grease-proof barrier. HTH. icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm
post #12 of 14

o wow! That is a wonderful idea!! thanks so much!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:47pm
post #13 of 14

I've heard some people get an acetate ribbon to put under the satin ribbon (the food safe acetate that's used on the side of pastries).

I've also heard of people who cut a very thin ribbon out of fondant and attach the satin ribbon on top of that.

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:26am
post #14 of 14

Sorry. In Australia we just call it sticky tape and yes it is just regular tape that you would wrap a present up in. Not sure what you guys call it! It works really well for me. Quick and easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%