post #1 of 20

Ok, so i have no idea what royal icing is used for icon_sad.gif

who knows?? i know someone out there does (:

PLEASE COMMENT BACK (: icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 20

It's used to decorate cookies, make decorations for a cake, like roses and different flowers, some use it as "glue" for certain things. That's all I can think of right now (=

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 20

Cakes, cookies, flowers, glue, sugar run-outs, you name it...try Googling "royal icing techniques" and see what you get. icon_smile.gif

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 20

Some cakes where a pattern mat has been used on fondant decorators will fill in the design with royal icing to make that part of the pattern a "raised" pattern. I have seen it on several of the pillow cakes covered in fondant.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #5 of 20

and in some countries it's used as the main icing to cover cakes.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #6 of 20

Royal icing is an icing that dries hard to create anything you can squeeze out a pipping bag.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicluvrr101

Ok, so i have no idea what royal icing is used for icon_sad.gif

who knows?? i know someone out there does (:

PLEASE COMMENT BACK (: icon_biggrin.gif

I like to use royal icing as my border icing when I cover a cake in fondant. It helps seal the cake it. It won't get rock hard because of the moisture coming off the cake.

I also use thinned royal icing to decorate cookies and for making cake decorations. Once the icing dries whatever decoration you have made will last forever if kept in a dark, dry place. I LOVE royal icing. icon_smile.gif

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #8 of 20

Ok so I was told that to make 3d animals for a farm cake that the person was to use royal icing. And I was thinking that they should be sculpted out of gumpaste. But she is the "professional" and says royal icing is best so I didn't question it but I don't know... What do you think?

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneaG

Ok so I was told that to make 3d animals for a farm cake that the person was to use royal icing. And I was thinking that they should be sculpted out of gumpaste. But she is the "professional" and says royal icing is best so I didn't question it but I don't know... What do you think?

The only animal I've made out of royal icing (actually I used Color Flow but it is about the same) were some pigs for a bacon cake. They weren't 3D they were flat. I think it depends on the look the person is wanting. If you go to Google image and type in Royal Icing Animals you will see some examples of 3D royal icing animals. They are super cute and don't look too difficult to make.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #10 of 20

yea...I don't think that RI can be used for 3d icon_confused.gif maybe you could ask her to clarify on how this should be done!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:24am
post #11 of 20

The old Wilton yearbooks show how to make animals and such from buttercream. I bet it's the same method.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 20

so if she says royal icing then it sounds like she is good at making 3D animals with a piping bag. For me i'm better with sculpting them, so then gumpaste or fondant works better for me.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's what works best for you and what effect you're going for.

To make them 3D you'd just need a stiff royal icing so it held it's shape. Just like buttercream does when you do the 3D animals/characters with a piping bag.

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 20

Ok thanks I was just a little confused as I had never seen this done before and thought gumpaste would be a lot easier for a beginner. Thanks again for the clarification

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 20

Royal Icing is great for 3-D animals. They won't look like fondant, but they have their own special charm. I made 3-D flamingos for my neice's 30 th birthday cake. It was her mother's idea but I thought they turned out excellent and my SIL said the great-neices thought they were tasty and had several.

musicluvrr101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicluvrr101 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 20

Thank you ALL for your responses (: i appreciate it greatly! so, would you make like drop flowers with royal icing, because i let them harden for a couple of days so i can keep them and use them on cakes etc. or am i still not getting what it's used for? haha, thanks (:

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Thank you ALL for your responses (: i appreciate it greatly! so, would you make like drop flowers with royal icing, because i let them harden for a couple of days so i can keep them and use them on cakes etc. or am i still not getting what it's used for? haha, thanks (:

Absolutely! I have a whole box of royal icing flowers. I always make extras in case I have a last minute cake. Just let them dry completely before you store them. I stack them with waxed paper in between layers.

musicluvrr101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicluvrr101 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo_Bakery

Quote:

Absolutely! I have a whole box of royal icing flowers. I always make extras in case I have a last minute cake. Just let them dry completely before you store them. I stack them with waxed paper in between layers.

oh ok! now what kind of flowers do you make with royal icing then??

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:13am
post #18 of 20

Look here for pictures of some royal icing flowers you can make: http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/3467

Your next question will surely be how to make them. Well, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=royal+icing&aq=f

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:21pm
post #19 of 20

I love RI - I am lucky enought to learn from Eddie Spence, who has decorated Royal Wedding and celebration cakes for the last 60 years. It is a wonderful medium, which creates beautiful cakes. I have created iced butterflies, flowers, gazebo, made collars which make the cake look beautiful.

you can make most things from RI. Eddie says that he can make any type of flower from it; and if you can ice it in buttercream, you can do it much more delicately with RA

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 20

Gosh...royal icing has so many wonderful applications...delicate flowers even...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1792062

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%