Buldging Layer Appearance On Fondant Covered Layered Cake

Decorating By Lisa1959 Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm by grandmomof1

Lisa1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa1959 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone help. I recently made a stacked cake covered in fondant. 10", 8" and 6" rounds. I decorated each layer individually and everything looked great . Nice and smooth all decorations nicely placed. After I stacked all 3 layers(9 dowels in 10" cake to support 8" cake and 7 dowels in 8" cake to support 6" cake) the cake appeared to buckle and now all the layers were no longer smooth. The cake looked like each layer was buldging. I was very disappointed with the appearance after stacking. Does anyone have any suggestions!

Plase help.

5 replies
moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 6

Were the 6" and 8" on cake boards and then you stacked them?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

There are a variety of possible things. Did you let the cake "settle" for a day, or at all, after filling them? That helps avoid a bulge. Do you use a stiff dam when you fill? Are you sure your dowels weren't too short, so that the weight was a little too much?

Lisa1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa1959 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, i did have all the cakes on cake boards. I wasn't aware that i should make a stiff dam around each layer before filling with buttercream frosting. Maybe I can try this the next time along with stiffer frosting. Maybe the frosting was too thin inbetween the layers and with the weight of everything on each layer it caused the softer frosting to buldge. When I view all the cakes on this website they all look so smooth and perfectly shaped. it is so amazing to me.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 6

I use fondant all the time, it sounds as though you over filled the layers

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 6

Sometimes the edges of a cake will poke out a little. Try trimming the sides with a long knife after you have stacked them and before you ice them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%