How Many Days Ahead Do You Bake?

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 1:41am by shannonmarie77

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I have good news! my business is blowing up!
That brings me to a hard spot though. I used to bake the day before delivery and that would leave enough time to decorate a detailed cake....just one!
Now that orders are pouring in, i wonder how many days ahead you guys (that do a lot of cakes per week) bake and decorate them. today I baked for all mine do this weekend. Its thursday now, will they be ok until Sunday? Should I freeze them. its only 3 days. It seems the TV guys are decorating already on Wednesdays in prep for the weekend, so surely 3 days isn't the end of the world, right?

thoughts???

9 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 10

I bake 2-3 days ahead and wrap in press & seal and leave on the counter. Actually I'm baking now for Sunday decorating & Monday delivery @ my job.

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 10

I don't do a ton of cakes, but when i made my daughter's cake for her 1st birthday I was swamped. I baked on Tuesday covered with fondant and stacked on Wednesday and decorated at the end of the week. They were fine. The fondant kept everything perfectly sealed. I don't know if it was a fluke, but that was my 1 experience...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 10

I try to get all my weekend baking on Sunday and Monday, freeze. Freezing makes for better cake. Then prep on Thursday, decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday.

sweetartbakery Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 10

good. so since today is thursday, and one is for saturday and one sunday... I should be good. This will also help me budget in more time so that I can take more orders. I'm slammed! loving it, minus the time away from my babies!

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 10

I just started making cakes and I usually bake and prep on thursday, and decorate on friday and saturday. Btw - your cakes are fabulous! No wonder your business is booming icon_smile.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:16am
post #7 of 10

Thanks kristananshley! Very sweet of you! I'm not happy with most of them! ha ha!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:58am
post #8 of 10

I have no problems baking a week in advance for a big cake. There is something kind of grounding about pulling cake out of the freezer to thaw while I set up my work area. Half the work is done and I can concentrate on decorating.

I am never happy with my cakes either-- and I finally figured out why-- because in my head it is FLAWLESS.. and of course we know- that is just not possible-- so even the tiniest flaw takes away from that perfect vision - so it is what I notice.

sweetartbakery Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 10

I freeze them a lot too, but I don't have a ton of freezer space. my shop isn't huge and the freezer is filled with ingredients for other baking. So I was thinking of moving to just doing all the baking on wednesday or thursday...into the fridge and ready to decorate later. icon_smile.gif I'm not open to the public yet, just doing cakes. I don't know how it will all pan out once my doors open and I have to have a full product list to think about! ah! thats why I'm trying to figure it out now since the cakes are my money maker!

shannonmarie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmarie77 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 10

Question about freezing cakes.....

Do you wrap them in something before you freeze them and how long do they have to sit out before you decorate them?

Also does this work for cupcakes?

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%