Need To Learn To Say No.

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 11:22pm by sweetheart6710

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 8

i got a call at 8 am this morning. From my mother whos friend is panicked because she attempted to make her daughters birthday cake and it flopped big time.

So the distress calls gets landed to me, can i make a giant cupcake cake for tonight? ingredients will be supplied? please please, its daughters 21st, we need cake?

sooo, weak little me gets suckered in. even though i was really wanting a cake break (ive lost my cake mojo and want to give it time to recover in time for my sons bday)

anyway, it gets worse. Daughter is gluten free (thats why ingredients are being supplied). Ive found out im only being supplied two cake mixes. my smallest round tin takes one packet. how on earth am i going to make a giant cupcake with only two rounds? any tips will be very much appreciated!!!!

also out of fondant, so its all going to have to be b/c, and not the crusting variety, (GF remember...) any tips there?

ahhh today is not going to be a good day. any tips would be appreciated.

and i know i need to learn to say no; believe me i do. but i was still asleep when i got the call.. so cut me some slack..lol

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 8

I think you need to supply a list of your needs...number of mixes, fondant, etc...don't assume that your friend's mom will provide everything needed to make the cake without being told what you need.

Chocolate might be a good way to make the wrapper.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

yes ive told mum to tell her friend what i need. but they need it for tonight, did i mention that? lol. so im going to be in a bit of a frazel i think.

yes! i just saw that on a blog! do you have any idea how to do that? is it as simple as melting choc and pouring it on? (sounds to easy... =/)

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 8

print out your post, list all the stress and time it takes you to do this and stick it next to your phone.
your the one saying yes, and trying to work to ridiculous ideals - tell the daft woman that two mixes = a 8 inch cake, end of - and thats what people will expect of you. be tough on your self so you can be straight with people wanting cake.
xx

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 8

Why can't it be crusting and be gluten free? The only thing you need to have BC be crusting is have a greater proportion of sugar to fat.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 8

When I've seen it done, they were pouring the chocolate into the giant cupcake pan and painting it up the sides and then freezing it so it would pop out in one piece. If you had a container that was a good size for the bottom of the cupcake, you could do the same thing, then just bake your rounds, and put them inside the chocolate wrapper.

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 8

I feel the pain I am also bad at saying no but I am learning...I had someone/close family friend call me at 8pm one sunday night and wanted a small fondant cake with 21 on top and a martini glass or something delivered to a lunch location at 11:00 am the next day...
I was out to dinner and dumb me said ok...All nighter...I was not happy...SHE NEVER PAID ME!...but its my fault...learning not to be a pushover....She then told my mom that no one would want to pay more than $30 dollars for a cake. She has sent me some cake business so I felt like I should say yes that night....
Good luck on this...I know your pain!

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 8

This is one of my favs because she has so many great ideas, AND she posts pictures as she goes so that you know what to expect. I think this is exactly what you might be lookig for??

http://iheartcuppycakes.com/2010/03/01/giant-red-velvet-birthday-cupcake/

I'm the same way, I never say no. My SIL called me with a similar problem. Tuesday she called and said her sister tried to make a wedding cake and was failing, so she asked if I could whip one up by Thursday night for the wedding Friday morning. They only wanted a cutting cake, (8in) and the rest styrofoam, so I lucked out, but still very stressful.

Sometimes I look at these experiences as just that, learning experiences. Even though it is such a short time frame, you will get to work Gluten-free, maybe try a chocolate wrapper technique, AND make someones birthday. Best case scenerio, they love the cake, and call you for future orders. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%