How To Get Gold Icing

Decorating By writersblock15 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm by cdgleason

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 4

Can luster dust be added directly to royal icing and have a gold effect?

3 replies
cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 4

I think it depends on how much you need! If you want a really VIBRANT gold... I'm not sure adding the dust directly to the royal icing would give you anything other than a muted yellow/brown ish color!
if you're just doing accents with gold, perhaps you can pipe your royal icing, let it set up, then paint on the gold accents with a mixture of your gold dust and vodka. the combination makes a nice 'paint' which is perfect for adding touches of brilliant gold color. There is also a can of gold, edible, spray paint... usually available in most cake supply stores or on line. I have just added a photo that has some vibrant gold accents on it!

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 4

I have fine detailing to do on a cookie and I'm afraid painting over the RI with the vodka mix will be messy.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 4

If you have a small enough paint brush, and mix... your vodka & dust to a consistency that's thick enough.... with a very steady hand, you should be able to do it!!
I would try to pipe some RI on a piece of paper and do some practicing first!
I looked at your photos... you're very talented! I'm sure you'll have no problems!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%