Handling Layers While Stacking.

Decorating By CakeGoddessCandace Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:23am by dholdenrn

CakeGoddessCandace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGoddessCandace Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have obviously been doing something wrong for a while here, because every time I watch Cake Boss or Ace of Cakes or, well, even YouTube videos, they pick up the layers and just drop them onto the other cakes and the layer still looks perfect. How, how, how is this possible? If I even attempted to pick up a cake like that, the it would be indented with my fingerprints or God knows what else.

Is it like super thick fondant or something? I've also seen it done with buttercreme, and that one thoroughly perplexes me. I use cookie sheets to transfer my layers, which works just fine, but I have to know what they're doing that I'm not.

Any of y'all handle your cakes that way?

6 replies
DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 7

Great question -- I can't wait to find out replies! I've been using flat cookie sheets and/or the extra large Wilton cake lifter, but when it come to that final "push", I gotta dig in my finger under the board, and then DANG IT - there's an indent on my base that I have to cover up with a border.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 7

are you talking about the already decorated tiers? or the cake layers before they're iced.

If you're talking about the cakes, I think Buddy's are frozen or semi-frozen. I could never toss cake around like that.

The fondant once I believe the fondant has set at the point to avoid the finger print problem.

You should get SugarShacks the Stacking DVD. It has great tips on moving and stacking tiers both Buttercream and Fondant to avoid the marks and also how to repair them once they happen. Very good DVD, as all of hers are.

www.sugaredproductions.com

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGoddessCandace

Is it like super thick fondant or something?

I don't watch Cake Boss much but one time I caught a view of the thickness of his fondant. No wonder he can man-handle those cakes! It is so thick - looked like 1/4". Can you imagine the weight of those cakes?

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 7

Have you watched Edna's video on stacking?

Maybe the problem is using the cookie sheets.

I just use a big cookie spatula to get my fingers under the board and then drop it on. It is much easier to move your hands out from under the board than a cookie sheet.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 7

Usually my outer fondant icing is dry so you are able to touch it lightly. I usually slide a long spatula under the thin board the cake is adhered to and place on the cake balancing with a finger to place down onto the cake and quickly pull the spatula out. I also place small strips of baking paper around the top of the base cake so you will get no marks from sugar syrup, buttercream or what ever you have used under the fondant, then you can slide the cake into the correct position. I don't use buttercream but it probably easier to fix any marks.

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 7

I never use a spatula or anything, I just slide it off the table with my one hand onto the other one and then place it it the center of the cake and drop it. I don't have a problem with indentions or fingerprints...maybe you are not letting your layers sit long enough to dry a bit before stacking them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%