Does This Look Weird Or Offensive???

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 2:50am by Zee4040

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 77

Ok...so I'm making a #1 for the top of a cake. I originally was going to make one of those squared looking ones, but thought I would make it more whimsical. So I make this last night and my husband tells me it looks "phallic" LOL!!

Now everytime I look at this thing, that's all I can think of!!! This is for a pastor's baby girl's birthday. I really don't want that thought springing to anyone's mind. Can you tell me what you think???

I have plenty of time to make another one. icon_redface.gif

EDIT..Ok I can't attach it because it's too large, so I put it under my photos here:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1761129

76 replies
frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 77

oh man... lol. Now see, I wouldnt have thought much of it, until you said something... especially BEFORE looking at the pic... its all I see when I look at it because you mentioned it.

ETA: i'd probably want to make a newer one just to be sure. haha.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 77

I probably just taught middle school way toooo long, but I agree with your husband.

Maria925 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 77

Yeah...I guess I'm probably better off just making the squared off one. I'm going to be a nervous wreck when I take it to them otherwise. SIGH...I was hoping it was just my husband's mind going into the gutter! icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 77

Okay from someone who use to do a line of adult novelty cakes I have to say I agree with hubby. I would rethink the "scrolled" bottom of the 1.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 77

Uhh...yep... not so appropriate. I would go through a bunch of fonts and find a whimsical "1" that you like.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 77

Probably only because you pointed it out, but yes, it does look phallic. I think the scroll at the top it fine, but it's the two at the bottom that really give it that look.

Maria925 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 77

Boy I'm glad I asked!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 77

Save it! You might need it for a 'naughty' cake some time! icon_lol.gif

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 77

yes, i would make another....

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 77

I agree with everyone else.
You can still make it cute and whimsical. I made a one almost the same way. Instead of cutting the fondant at the bottom, i rolled it out and curled the ends then attached with a toothpick.
It gives the same cute affect and doesn't look naughty.
Here is mine http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1666761.html

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 77

ROFL!! Oh boy...I laughed on that one...icon_smile.gif Sorry, but yea, change it!!! Too funny! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 77

Maybe if the base scrolls were uncurled a bit so they're not so snug against the um uh body of the 1 and the top curved area was curved a bit more and moved away from the uh body of the 1 a bit it wouldn't look so anatomical...

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 77

Maybe if the bottom scrolls went up instead of down and the point was more pronounced at the top of the 1.. and if it wasn't PINK! ... yea.. I guess my mind is in the gutter but I wouldn't have needed a prompt to see that. I'm glad you can laugh now, but I'd save that and find some reason to use it for my DH! ... like stick it in a stack of pancakes celebrating one day he didn't throw his undies on the floor!! You can't let this go icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 77

Yes....do another one...I'm laughing out loud btw..... icon_lol.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 77

icon_surprised.gif I got a great giggle outloud when I opened the pic!!!

And it's most likely due to your planting that seed in my mind because I'm guessing once you pushed that 1 into the cake, if you added decorations at the base of it, the space between the bottom curly cues would be covered up. Less ball-sy. LOL!!

I liked Tiffany's whimsical 1. Let's see your re-make! icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 77

Agree about the bottom balls...I mean scrolls! LOL....uncurl them a couple turns! LOLOLL .

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:08pm
post #18 of 77

Thank you so much for posting this. It has completely made my day. I really needed a good laugh this morning. I agree with everyone else, just make the base of the 1 go further out and then curl up and you will be fineicon_smile.gif

I just can't stop the giggles. We've all had our daysicon_smile.gif

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 77

I really am LOL right now, mostly because its for the pastors daughter as well as what it looks like! But probably wouldn't have given it much thought until it was pointed out icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 77

LOL wow this is just too funny! I have not been able to wake up all morning and now I am awake and laughing out loud!! I wouldn't have needed a prompt to see that either. I agree with the others, save it you might find a good use as Kansaslaura suggested. Love to see the re-make even though it wont be a funny as your original creation! icon_smile.gif

Maria925 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:19pm
post #21 of 77

I'm laughing completely at this. Your comments have just made me laugh even harder! But I'm too chicken and I'm not going to attempt another "whimsical" one. I think I will just make the squared off version. I really do think the pink color is not helping...LOL!! And of course it HAD to be for the pastor's daughter!!!

I'm glad I could make a few people laugh today, so it wasn't a total waste icon_smile.gif

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 77

Okay, I just showed this to my 79 year old grandmother. I didn't tell her of your concerns only asked her what she thought about this decoration. She said, "Oh my, it's a p****! I haven't seen one in quite some time (she's been widowed for 18 years) but I'm pretty sure that's what it is and what are you doing looking at it!" I laughed and then explained your post to her. I think you should make another topper!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 77

*LOL*.... I would make another one.....thats way too funny though.....now I know im not the only one who does things like that.... icon_lol.gif

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #24 of 77

I can so see myself doing this and having my husband point it out to me!! I'm laughing so hard!! Sorry but you most definitely have to do another # one. Thanks for the giggles!! icon_biggrin.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #25 of 77

You win for most amusing post today! Thank you for the laugh.

And p.s. thank your hubby too. I think he saved you on this one.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #26 of 77

Oh my. Yes, please redo.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #27 of 77

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.giftapedshut.gificon_rolleyes.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #28 of 77

ok ok ok... I really need to step away from the laptop but this has me giggling--Remember Marie's abstract sculpture on "Everybody Loves Raymond" ??? I think we're going to have to start a museum! icon_lol.gif

And, etr--your grandma wins for the best reaction of the day in my book!!

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2002

Okay, I just showed this to my 79 year old grandmother. I didn't tell her of your concerns only asked her what she thought about this decoration. She said, "Oh my, it's a p****! I haven't seen one in quite some time (she's been widowed for 18 years) but I'm pretty sure that's what it is and what are you doing looking at it!" I laughed and then explained your post to her. I think you should make another topper!

Omigosh, I just laughed so hard! Your grandmother is awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2002

Oh, now that is hilarious! icon_lol.gif

P.S. doug- love the new pic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%