Painting On Fondant???

Decorating By jaedei Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 12:27am by sweetheart6710

jaedei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaedei Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering what the best way to paint fondant is? I've heard of the gel food coloring or mixing powdered food coloring with vodka? Or can I use luster dust? What do they use on the cake shows? I have a cake coming up that requires me to paint on it.
Any answers would be very appreciated!! Thank you!

7 replies
sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

I use gel food coloring (Wilton or Americolor) deluted with vanilla flavoring. Some say to use vodka, but I don't have vodka sitting around the house, so I use extracts. Once someone told me lemon worked the best because it had the highest amount of alcohol, but I found it dried too quickly for me to do what I was doing. Even in the bowl it dried up really fast and I wasted a whole bottle trying to keep the color moist. So vanilla is my choice for now until i find something better icon_wink.gif I usually roll out a small peice of fondant and keep it near by so while I'm mixing my colors I can test the shades to make sure they are just right. HTH

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 8

I use Edible Paint by The Sweet Palette...email at [email protected] or contact at 602-703-0112.

I purchase my paint at Susan Carberry's shop, The Cake Cottage, in Murrieta, CA...www.thecakecottage.net

Good luck

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

I use gel, usually Wilton because I can just run to Michaels or Walmart and get it, and Vodka(I buy the tiny bottles at the liquor store) and it works great. You should test the colors before painting with them like sweatheart6710 said, they do take a while to dry and smudge easily, especially the the darker, more color/less vodka you use.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 8

I also use the gel paste food coloring and vanilla. I have always had great results, and have them on hand, so it's more convenient than using the vodka or having to buy special products.

jaedei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaedei Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

Thank you SO much!!! The only concern I had with the gel and vodka/vanilla is that it would be streaky.. But I guess not if that is what the majority of you guys use. You guys are great!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #7 of 8

I actually use my airbrush paints to paint on fondant. no streaks, no mixing, just pour a little in a cup and paint away.

but I can add a tiny bit of everclear of vodka if need to bring down the color.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

Ooooooo airbrush paints.. I never thought of that. What a great idea. I know at my cake supply store they sell an americolor student set of 12 colors. I might need to buy it and use that from now on. Thanks tesso

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%