Seriously Dc Cupcakes !!!

Lounge By Redsoxbaker Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 5:43am by thatslifeca

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 39

This has to be the worse show on tv. This is the most fake show I have ever seen. Give me a break, when they showed them under the table sleeping! The wedding cupcakes weren't level and $300 for the flowers for 60 cupcakes! There is nothing you can take from this show either.

38 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 39

I beg to differ. So far I have learned how not to run a business. I have learned how they make ganache, what ovens they use, a little bit on how they work, how they have their back kitchen structured, how they make large batches of cake batter and then divide it and add flavoring to get many different cake flavors from one batch. They piped a flower design on the cupcakes that was different from what I have been doing. In the background I can see the names of many of the products they use.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. They may not hit you over the head with tips, but if you watch with an open mind you can pick up a lot.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 39

I wish someone would stand in line for my cupcakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 39

I agree with LindaF144....Although I have watched the first 2 episodes now and not really impressed with much and out of lack of anything better to do on a friday night....I do think if you look around in the backgrounds etc..you will see things that can help and teach you.

As for their decorating and acting skills etc...Not impressed...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 39

I caught a bit of it at about 3:00 a.m. today .... the one where they did the firetruck cupcake thing.

Oh sure. I'll commit to 250 cupcakes by tomorrow AND volunteer to put it in a firetruck form AND just "happen" to have a friend who can whip me up a firetruck form overnight.

The set up for the "bake off" was so obviously a set up you could see it coming 4 miles away. Could the network at least spring for some acting lesson for these people if they're going to have them follow a script?

Geesh, if any show ever made my a$$ tired, this is the one! icon_eek.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I beg to differ. So far I have learned how not to run a business.

Since there isn't an applause smiley, I offer you:
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I beg to differ. So far I have learned how not to run a business.

Since there isn't an applause smiley, I offer you:
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thank you. You can learn a lot about what not to do as well as what to do. In fact I would love to see more stories of what people did wrong, so that you can learn to do right.

Case in point - my own Mother. Having her as a Mom taught me how to be the right kind of Mother. If you keep an open mind you can learn from adversity, or other's mistakes just as well as others shining examples. If you want to feel like a real good Mom, watch Toddlers and Tiaras for just one show. That show is a great example on how not to be a Mom living through your child. Not all Moms on that show are like that, just the ones the producers want to exploit.

I get kind of tired of reading those business books and other kinds that showcase people and their examples.

I think we have too much "perfection" in stuff we read and see on TV. I get tired of the "Mary Poppins" view of the world that TV and books try to protray - that only those in business do are smart enough to do everything the "right" way. There are those who stumble through it and still come out. I believe one of the sisters themselves said the same thing. That they are surprised with all the mistakes they make that they are still in business. Doing it "right" or "wrong" has nothing to do with the fact that they are have the time of their lives and love what what they are doing.

Then when we do see something that is done by somebody that has not had years of training to hit the mark or have perfect timing in speech and comback, it doesn't look real and scripted. I for one am glad that I am not seeing that kind of perfection in this show. It means my brain will stop being programmed to only appreciate that kind of example and I will have to search for what I am looking for.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 39

I have learned one thing from this show. I have evidentally been copying their "Signature Swirl" for many, many years. icon_razz.gif Ooops! My Bad!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 39

I've only seen 2 episodes and I was not impressed. Their cupcakes are so plain and in the 2 episodes I saw all they did was make a picture out of cupcakes. Not that that is so easy. Just boring seeing it twice in a row. What I really found annoying is them calling their mother "mommy". How many adult women call their mother "mommy"?

hoopb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoopb2 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 39

SO FUNNY and SO TRUE!!!! SCRIPTED!!!!! I think this show is ment for comedy not as an actual decorating show!!!!! I like watching it just to see what they will say next!!!

LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

I've only seen 2 episodes and I was not impressed. Their cupcakes are so plain and in the 2 episodes I saw all they did was make a picture out of cupcakes. Not that that is so easy. Just boring seeing it twice in a row. What I really found annoying is them calling their mother "mommy". How many adult women call their mother "mommy"?

This is the one thing everybody keeps saying that totally irritates me the most. Who are we to judge what nicknames we give our family members? I still call my children by the names I have them when they were babies. I call my oldest son - who is 30 - Pumpkin. And if I was on a reality show I would still call him that. None of my children look at me and say Mom stop. They know it comes from deep love and affection.

If this woman prefers to be called Mommy as a nickname then it is not our position to judge from a societal point of view. I noticed the head baker called her that, but it rolled off his tongue in such a way as if he was calling her Jane. And shock of all shocks what if that was her real name? There is no law that says we have to have socially correct names or nicknames. I recall a famous actress naming her child Apple and the uproar that caused.

Layoff the nickname thing - that is their right to call her whatever she wants.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I wish someone would stand in line for my cupcakes.

Thank you....my thoughts exactly!

Ok, so their acting skills aren't the best and I hate how scripted the show is, but I have learned some things, as LindaF144 stated!

Also, a college buddy of my daughter's lives in DC and went to get cupcakes yesterday. She and a friend waited 45 minutes (even took a picture of the people standing in line, just like on the show)! She texted later to say they were hands-down the most delicious cupcakes she and her mother had ever eaten! She purchased their red velvet, vanilla and lemon flavors!

Hey, at least their product tastes good! I think that's kinda cool!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 39

I have been a fan of them on FB long before the show. I admit the show protrays them, shall we say not so smart. For once i'd like it if they were shown to be smart,in charge and really know what they're doing. Because we all really know that they are smart women to have a sucessful business.

I love the way their shop looks. Anyone know what type of cupcake pans they use?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 39

What I hate about this show...and I really hate it...is the idea that, someone can come in and order 300 cupcakes for a special event that takes place in 24 hours and they get it done. OR meeting with a bride and groom about their WEDDING cupcakes 2 days before the wedding? And they bake all the cupcakes the day before (after experimenting with flavors) and then they spend the night on the floor?

WE all know this is fake, but the public at large sees this and thinks that it's no big deal to ask for the same deal! 'So you want a life-size birthday cake in the shape of Hogwarts by tomorrow? Hey no problem!'

We already know how people think about 'simple' cakes and how they don't understand why cakes cost so much. It's stupid, vapid shows like these and Cake Boss that give the impression that it's no big deal to make a huge order at the last minute.
And I've never seen anyone pay for their cakes...or cupcakes.
Just ONCE I'd give anything to have one of them say, 'Our cakes are not cheap...here's why.'

Or better yet, have someone come in and want some 3-D Taj Mahal and say they only have a budget of $150. THEN I'd like Buddy or someone say, well, sorry we can't do that for less than $2,000....or whatever the price would be. Just once.

But no, chances are if someone did that, they'd say they were with the Society for the Prevention of Excess Nasal Hair and because it's such a 'good cause', they'd do it 'for the kids'.
Please.

ambermbauman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermbauman Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 39

I love watching all of the cake shows. I usually learn something new because I'm just a self-taught decorator, but even if I don't learn something, they're still interesting to watch. I agree that DC Cupcakes is a little ridiculous but I sincerely believe that Cake Boss is just as scripted, especially after seeing the episode with the jousting tournament and then Buddy won? Yeah right! But at least their cakes look professional. The wedding cupcakes that Georgetown Cupcakes made on last night's episode looked like a beginner had made them. I'm not the best decorator, but I'm not blind and if I had paid a ton of money for those I would have been very disappointed and if I had made them, I would've been embarrassed.

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 39

I watched that one last night too and thought the first wedding 'cupcake' was just a demo so they knew what they were doing, then when you saw them finishing at the venue, the dragees weren't even on straight and they weren't even level...I thought...REALLY? It's definitely scripted, and they're not the best actors by a long shot but as others have said, no one stands in line for my cupcakes...
and, we'll probably all continue to watch the show...sad but true..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbrownrigg

...and, we'll probably all continue to watch the show...sad but true..

'coz we all like to watch a train wreck! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But you're right .... if poeple are lined up for what they make, then they must be good at what they do.

Too bad TV feels the need to make everyone look like a boob for the "entertainment" value. icon_sad.gif

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 39

So can anyone tell which decorating tip they use to do their "signature swirl"?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 39

Yep....I'll probably continue to watch it, and get irritated....and tune-in the next week too! icon_biggrin.gif

Just a note about the quick turn-around: In my earlier post I mentioned a friend of my daughter's that visited Georgetown Cupcakes yesterday....when she took the cupcakes home to try with her friend and mother, a friend of her mother's was also there and stated that her business places orders there all the time for "hundreds" of cupcakes, THE NIGHT BEFORE. This lady said they have quite the reputation for accepting orders like that....wow!

chilicat57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilicat57 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #20 of 39

I have to agree with everyone ... learning a lot about business and how not to do things, who not to hire (come on a pot with melting sugar and then you walk away to text) and getting ideas on how to do things but better.

The girls on this show are very scripted, so fake as far as actresses and as are all the cooking shows & competitions (welcome to the world of creative editing) but in the end if I pick up a new flavor profile, technique or supply tip, then I feel my time was not wasted.

Now if they would PUHLEESE stop asking "Mommy" to help!!!

I had a friend who did FN Cupcake Wars and it is shot over 3 days, so the reality of competition is not real at all! Gotta love TV thumbs_up.gif

hoopb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoopb2 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #21 of 39

I do think they (DC CUPCAKE GIRLS) deserve props for all they can do.... I just think the show is funny. WOuld love to visit the shop and taste the cupcakes!!!

artsycakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsycakes14 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #22 of 39

I am so glad you posted this! THIS SHOW BUGS!!!! I can't stand the "Mommy" thing. Seriously, they are so fake it is ridiculous! This is the first decorating show that I stopped recording because it is that painful to watch. Hope this show doesn't stay on another season.

On the other hand, I LOVE Fabulous Cakes!!! They are amazingly talented. They show how much they really charge for cakes, and they show you how they make these amazing creations. I LOVE IT!!!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #23 of 39

I completely agree with everything carmijok said!!!!! I too wish that they would post the amount of money this people pay for such cakes and cupcakes 1. out of curiosity and 2 so that people will know how much to expect to pay for labor extensive cakes and cupcakes

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #24 of 39

How many times we have been working all night long to finish a wedding cake or any order or because something was wrong. I have been there, and I work in a commercial kitchen, sometimes I have to sleep a cpouple hours to recover a little bit instead drive all the way home and come back. Also edible flowers are expensive depends of the kind, but for 60 minicakes the use a list 300 mini flowers, plus you have to buy a little extra for waste. Close to $200, I searched in google. http://culinarygardens.com/edibleflowersandmicro-blossoms.aspx and this site is the cheapest one. Well, remember the shows have to have drama somehow. I learned always on each show. I think they are great even if they are fake.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey71

So can anyone tell which decorating tip they use to do their "signature swirl"?

I don't believe Georgetown Cupcakes said they have a signature swirl, but made reference to their Signature Icing which is a vanilla cream cheese. I must also say they are darn reasonable with their pricing...$2.75 per cupcake or $29.00 a doz. The tip used in icing is a large round,... Wilton it is a 2A.

I just hope that the sisters or their employees are not CC Members, some of the comments are a little harsh. Reality TV is not reality...should have a disclaimer.....made for entertainment purposes only.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #26 of 39

On the episode I saw the sisters were having their employees trying to do their Signature swirl. They have gotten so busy that their could can't do all the icing themselves and they want all the cupcakes to look consistent.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I caught a bit of it at about 3:00 a.m. today .... the one where they did the firetruck cupcake thing.

Oh sure. I'll commit to 250 cupcakes by tomorrow AND volunteer to put it in a firetruck form AND just "happen" to have a friend who can whip me up a firetruck form overnight.

The set up for the "bake off" was so obviously a set up you could see it coming 4 miles away. Could the network at least spring for some acting lesson for these people if they're going to have them follow a script?

Geesh, if any show ever made my a$$ tired, this is the one! icon_eek.gif

Ok, I also saw this and was my first time seeing them. Please, someone tell me that double sided tape really holds cupcakes in all that moving around...

I also felt much of the dialogue was rehersed..re-rehersed... "Oh, I am a much better baker than my sister.."

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #28 of 39

DC Cupcakes--not my bowl of buttercream! icon_lol.gif

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #29 of 39

I agree with a lot of you, you can learn a lot by keeping an open mind. I don't really care for the show or how scripted it is, but can't seem to stop watching it. In fact, I laugh.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #30 of 39

I saw an episode this afternoon. I am going to say this in the nicest voice I have - "I'm sorry, but this show is really bad!!!!" Don't think I will be watching anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%