Buttercream Icing - Do I Have To Refrigerate?

Baking By EvoksDecorating Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 12:45am by kakeladi

EvoksDecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvoksDecorating Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 4

I was once told that if my buttercream icing uses water and crisco it doesn't have to be refrigerated (the other ingredients are: meringue powder, confectioner sugar, salt, vanilla)
If i use milk instead of water i need to refrigerate the icing, but what if i use regular butter instead of crisco and use water, do i have to refrigerate the icing? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Im trying to make some delicious cupcakes for a friends bday but she has a 2 hour drive home afterward!

Thanks!

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4

NO. Neither requires refrigeration. Even if you used milk in your bc instead of water it wouldn't have to be refrigerated. The sugar prevents the milk from spoiling. If you haven't tried Indydebi's bc recipe I would like to suggest it to you. It is an all shortening based buttercream but it is 'hands down' the best crusting buttercream I've ever tasted. The caterer that I bake for actually ask me IF I used shortening in my bc ...
I use milk in the recipe but it still doesn't require refrigeration and leftovers will keep for 2 weeks or better at room temperature.

If you'd like to try her recipe you can find it on this site in the 'most saved' recipes. thumbs_up.gif

boke0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boke0402 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

NO. Neither requires refrigeration. Even if you used milk in your bc instead of water it wouldn't have to be refrigerated. The sugar prevents the milk from spoiling. If you haven't tried Indydebi's bc recipe I would like to suggest it to you. It is an all shortening based buttercream but it is 'hands down' the best crusting buttercream I've ever tasted. The caterer that I bake for actually ask me IF I used shortening in my bc ...
I use milk in the recipe but it still doesn't require refrigeration and leftovers will keep for 2 weeks or better at room temperature.

If you'd like to try her recipe you can find it on this site in the 'most saved' recipes. thumbs_up.gif

Where do i find the bc recipe??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:45am
post #4 of 4

Here is a good one that can be kept at room temp for 2 weeks. I usually refrigerate if I know it might be longer (don't have any orders coming u p).
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/2-icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%