Making Cake Board Look Like Wood

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm by erichazann

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 12

I've been reading different forums about covering a board in fondant AND how to make fondant look like wood. I'm doing a teacher's desk, and was wondering if it would be best to do the board way ahead of time so it can dry. The forums I was reading about covering the board was talking about doing it after the cake is place on it, so I am not sure about the best way to go....any advice?

11 replies
momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 12

I have a cake in my pictures that has a "wood" fondant covered board under it. It is the haybale and boots cake.

I covered the board in light brown fondant (before adding the cake to it). Then I scored the fondant to look like wood, mixed food coloring and alcohol and applied this to the board with a paper towel in the same manner you would stain wood. Get the paper towel wet and rub. The scored marks absorbed more "stain" therefore giving it a better wooden look.

It dried quickly.
HTH

Bskinne Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 12

Cool, that's the way I was planning on going...thank you!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 12

I did my board for my toybox way ahead of time. I basically did it the same way as momtofourmonkeys, except I used a brush instead of the paper towel. Before brushing on the color I used a veining tool and drew lines and knots to look like woodgrain.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 12

I did mine the same as the others, except I actually cut out strips for the boards. I use a toothpick for the veins. And I think I did mine a day or two in advance. I would never try to do it after the cake is on. Mine is the teapot cake in my pics. I think it is on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Bskinne Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 12

I use MMF, how long do you think that would take to dry?

snocilla Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 12

A few days, but I wouldn't wory about it being completely dry.

TickeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickeyT Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 12

Is that brown coloring or a mixture of colors?

snocilla Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:30am
post #9 of 12

I color the fondant with a small bit of brown, and then paint with the same brown. I use CK Chocolate brown.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 12

I did the same as snocilla only with Wilton's brown.

Bskinne Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I've got a week and a half until this cake is due, so I guess I will be starting on the board soon! icon_smile.gif

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 12

Perhaps the suggestion to do it after the cake was on was so that you don't waste time working on areas that are covered by the cake? Otherwise, it does not make sense to do it after the cake is on.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the wood to show as the cake is being cut, but if you have a plain cake board (cut to size) directly under your cake like most people would, then it doesn't matter, it wont show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%