Why Does My Purple Cake Photograph Blue?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone else have a problem with taking pictures of purple cakes? Even when I look at the cake through my camera it's completely blue! I just made this wedding cake and it's a beautiful shade of purple. I also dusted and steamed the flowers to intensify the purple but I'm very disappointed that I can't get a true picture of the colour. Is there anything that can be done?
LL

11 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 12

On my screen, it looks purple. And it's a beautiful cake.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 12

Looks purple on my screen. It's a lovely cake.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 12

I see purple too.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 12

I'm no help...I'm color blind icon_sad.gif it's a beautiful cake though... thumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone! It does look purple but just not the right shade - the real purple is more along the lines of the darkest purple of the Cake Central page.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 12

I know exactly what you mean, my purple cakes either photograph purply blue or black!! Urgh! I tend to fix this on my computer. If you change the colour saturation and colour temperature you can make it a better shade.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 12

That happens to me too! Everything that's purple always turns out blue in the picture. I have no idea why!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 12

Same here. It just has to do with the color I guess. I'm sure there's a tech wizard out there who could maybe advise on how to adjust color but I tried adjusting and the butterflies still look blue.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 12

Yikesss, and all this time I've been thinking--my eyes are getting worst!! icon_cry.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 12

it's a LONG explanation that has to do with color temperature, method of display (CRT/LED/OLED/plasma/etc.), calibration of display, calibration of camera, original lighting used and host of other factors.

in short -- the kinds of monitors, calibration systems and software that will get you true reproduction on screen will set you back several thousand dollars.

cherrycakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 12

Well I took NatalieMarie's advice and played around with the hue and saturation on my Photoshop Elements program. I was happy to discover that I can tweak the colour so it's more like the actual shade. Guess I'll have to do that with all my purple cakes. I would still like to know why this colour changes so much!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%