Stenciling On Sides Of Cake

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 4:16am by lolobell

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 10

hello, cc friends! I am doing a cake with a stencil on sides. Buttercream base and buttercream for stencil. the question is, how do I do this on sides? do I need someone to hold the stencil? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 10

Hi icon_smile.gif Ive only done one stencilled cake on the sides and it lifted off the sides icon_sad.gif had my sister hold it for me . Anyway its in the disaster forum lol . but alot of rips in that post icon_smile.gif Im afraid of it now lol! Post titled CRYING in disaster topics.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 10

i have only attempted one stenciled cake myself, i tried wrapping the stencil around the cake and using regular paper cut to size to completely go around the cake (so that stencil then paper wrap completely around cake together and meet up) then i taped it. it worked fine for the larger stencil, but i found that having an extra set of hands worked for more intricate detail. HTH

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 10

I hear it is a good idea to freeze or refrigerate your bc covered cake and stencil while it is hard. I plan on trying this out next week. Good Luck to us both!

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 10

I "tried" the stencil one time, myself. I used Royal Icing and a cheap stencil. I held it in place myself. Not such a good idea. I was wondering if the pricier stencils would help..or maybe it was just operator error. Good luck to you!!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 10

I saw an episode of Cake Boss where Buddy used a scraper and royal icing to do stencils on the side of a cake. He put some RI on the scraper (it was in a HUGE bowl) and ran it across the stencil. I *think* somebody held the stencil on the side of the cake while he did the scraping. It is on my long list of things to try. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 10

If you are doing this on buttercream and have chilled your cake first, I would think you would have to work lightning-fast to prevent the stencil from sticking to the sweaty buttercream.

I've stenciled RI on fondant which is very, very easy. I used a cheapie stencil from Hobby Lobby.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 10

It does help to have someone else hold the stencil in place. I chill the cake first and smooth the bc on and go back over it and scrape off the excess. Just becareful pulling the stencil off.
I use cheapie stencils too.
Good luck with it.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 10

You can purchase food safe tape to hold the stencil in place. I have it, but I have not used it yet. If I remember correctly, it is made by Culinary Stencils.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:16am
post #10 of 10

hello everyone..
i am trying a stencil design this weekend for the first time. stenciling on marshmallow fondant. would you recommend using royal icing as opposed to BC (i use indydebis)? also, do you have a source where you get stencils from? I am having a friend of mine make one for me off of her circuit scrapbooking machine...using stencil paper...i hope it works!

thanks!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%