Constructive Criticism/ Thoughts And Opinions

Decorating By Paige_Pittman86 Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 3:48am by Paige_Pittman86

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #61 of 83

can i use the food coloring mixed with vanilla or does it have to be vodka?

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #62 of 83

HAHAHAH i just sent my husband a text asking him if he could get a small shot of vodka from his sisters house... Not 5 secs later my phone is ringing with a very excited voice telling me he was going to pick me up a bottle of vodka on his way home. I was like thanks i need it to mix with food coloring so i can paint that cake board he was ohhhh i thought you wanted to get your drink on.. I'm like uhh i asked you for just a shot how am i gonna get my drink on with just a shot. He ain't right at all.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige_Pittman86

No..you can use vanilla as long as it pure extract...it just dries faster using vodka. I bought a 1/2 pint of vodka last year and I've only used about 1/4 of it and I've used it a LOT icon_lol.gif I'm not a drinker so my kids find a lot of humor in the fact that I have vodka in my pantry AND that it's MINE. icon_lol.gif
Before I bought the vodka I used lemon extract because it had a higher alcohol content. The higher the alcohol content the faster it dries.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #64 of 83

lol icon_biggrin.gif The vodka (which has a high alcohol content) makes it dry very fast! icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

No..you can use vanilla as long as it pure extract...it just dries faster using vodka. I bought a 1/2 pint of vodka last year and I've only used about 1/4 of it and I've used it a LOT icon_lol.gif I'm not a drinker so my kids find a lot of humor in the fact that I have vodka in my pantry AND that it's MINE. icon_lol.gif
Before I bought the vodka I used lemon extract because it had a higher alcohol content. The higher the alcohol content the faster it dries.

I'm not either and when it's sitting on the counter, my kids really make fun of me icon_lol.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #66 of 83

I drink beer or wine every once in a blue moon i never drink liquore unless it's in a mixed drink so the chances of me ever drinking straight vodka or any other liquore is very slim. Same with my husband he is about 9 years older than me so his drinking days were long gone when we met. If he brings home a 6 pack of beer you would find that same pack of beer 6 months later with just one missing out of it.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Second, using a laser level, project a level line at the top edge of the cake.

Laser level?? This sounds so intriguing! Did I miss this discussion somewhere else? I'd love to hear more about how to do this and maybe see a picture of what the product is. Going google it now.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Second, using a laser level, project a level line at the top edge of the cake.

Laser level?? This sounds so intriguing! Did I miss this discussion somewhere else? I'd love to hear more about how to do this and maybe see a picture of what the product is. Going google it now.

You can buy the laser level at hardware stores and some wal-marts. I've had mine for awhile. I actually bought it for hanging photos on the wall and other 'jobs' around the house. Got mine at Lowe's I think. Mine is made by Black & Decker. I don't have a photo...I'll look to see if I can find one.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #69 of 83

Okay I finished the monster stuck cake I really liked it. I don't know if it's a pros idea of professional but I'll put it this way my husband wouldn't stop begging for some and he never eats cake and my friend Heather was 1000000% happy with it so that's all that counts. Anyways pics coming soon if I can't get one to post on my iPhone. I dis have some issues with the icing BUT once I figured it out I was good. That icing crust really really fast I kept it going in my mixer the whole time to keep it soft. As I would try and ice the cake it just kept pulling off and was crusting so fast it was hard to spread. But then a light bulb came on.. I said maybe this was the recipe for thick! I was so worried about adding anything more than what it called for I did add any extra milk. So I scrapped it all off the cake which was very easy because it was thick and put it all back and mixer and added more milk lots and lots of milk and then I was good to go. But after getting my icing smoother than it's ever been I had to pour melted chocolate and crushed Oreos on top for the dirt and mud the monster trucks were in. But all in all I loved it I wanted it to look muddy and messy with out looking dirty and messy!! Oh and I have another cake due next Saturday which is fine except I got a phone call this morning from a friend asking if I could do a cake for Saturday!!!! Her mom beat breast cancer and they are having a party for her so I really wanna do it but I'm scared I won't be done in time with both due Saturday. I figured out with this cake I just did you cant fit cakes in a freezer on a side by side fridge.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #70 of 83

Glad to hear that your cake turned out well! Yes...you just add milk to the icing to get the consistency that you need. I just add a little at a time after the first cup to get it to what I need.

It does crust really fast. I keep my bowl of icing covered with plastic wrap so that it doesn't crust.

Can wait to see your pictures. thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #71 of 83

Holy crap.. I just got another person wanting a cake for Saturday icon_sad.gif / icon_smile.gif which they are offering to pay but I just don't feel right about takeing money. Maybe if I just get enough for supplies. But forget the money how can I produce 3 cakes by Saturday?? Should I just do the one or should I do all 3 how can I start early enough that they will all be fresh.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #72 of 83

Well I was trying to frost with the icing with just the first cup of milk or half a cup and I was like something ain't right what did I do wrong I was so scared of messing it up I couldn't figure out how in the heck anybody frosted with it lol but once I had my DUHHH Paige moment things got a lot better.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #73 of 83
Quote:

Well I was trying to frost with the icing with just the first cup of milk or half a cup and I was like something ain't right what did I do wrong I was so scared of messing it up I couldn't figure out how in the heck anybody frosted with it lol but once I had my DUHHH Paige moment things got a lot better.

The amount of milk required will vary. I usually only add about 1 cup for a double batch but I have had to add more on occasion. "Til it looks right" is something Indydebi's recipe says. thumbs_up.gif You just have to add until it's the consistency that YOU need or want.

Good luck with your cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #74 of 83

I'm still amazed on how easy that was to smooth though usually with buttercream by wilton my viva will get stuck in the icing because it doesn't crust that well.. I bet fondant will be easy to put on a cake with that buttercream under it because it's not as mushy

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #75 of 83
Quote:

I'm still amazed on how easy that was to smooth though usually with buttercream by wilton my viva will get stuck in the icing because it doesn't crust that well.. I bet fondant will be easy to put on a cake with that buttercream under it because it's not as mushy

Told you thumbs_up.gif I was never able to get my cakes smooth until I started using her recipe. It is easy to use under fondant because it crust so firm.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #76 of 83

I am trying to figure out how to post a pic in the forum right now. If yall do not see it soon then just check my pics to see the monster truck cake.
LL
LL

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #77 of 83
Quote:

I am trying to figure out how to post a pic in the forum right now. If yall do not see it soon then just check my pics to see the monster truck cake.

Okay i posted 2 sorry so large but i don't know how to chance size the rest will be added to my photos

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #78 of 83

Good job on your cake thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #79 of 83

Really? Thank you!! I know the mud part looks messy but i figured it was okay because it was suppose to be dirt and mud.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #80 of 83

Nice presentation board and your writing is very nice! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #81 of 83

It came out really great!

When you're making several cakes for the same day, or a tiered cake, unless your filling has something that will spoil, you don't need to keep the cake in the fridge. The buttercream has milk but the sugar in it keeps the milk from spoiling. If you use pudding or mousse or some fruit fillings then it needs to go in the fridge, but otherwise it's fine to sit out.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:33am
post #82 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Nice presentation board and your writing is very nice! thumbs_up.gif

THANK YOU. But i must say i didn't write the happy birthday..... My husband did. He has a very steady hand when it comes to writing or painting so i figured he could do it with out messing it up. Me on the other hand.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:48am
post #83 of 83

Also i have done 2 more cakes that i am very proud of but did have a lot of trouble with that frosting on these 2 cakes and by trouble i mean worked hours and hours on them and still could not get them how i wanted them. I worked on these cakes for 3 days and not one night did i get in bed before 4 in the morning after working all day to get the icing to smooth. On the third night i was doing the Alice in wonderland cake (pics coming soon) keep in mind i have not slept more than 3 hours a night for the past 2 nights so at this point im beyond tired and its 4:45 am and i am at hour 6 trying to frost this cake AFTER having to re bake the whole thing that morning, Any who by 4:45 i am having a full on panic attack cause all i could think at that point was i promised this cake and i am not going to be able to do it. So my husband who has slept threw the loud mixers me destroying my kitchen and whatever else, hears me having my panic attack and is up in like 2 secs. Once all is calmed down it seems like everything just starts going right. Well as right as we could get it so by 8 that morning we have finished the cake and he has cleaned the entire kitchen. I am very proud of both him and the cake.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%