Constructive Criticism/ Thoughts And Opinions

Decorating By Paige_Pittman86 Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 3:48am by Paige_Pittman86

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #31 of 83

I have one of those but it wad the one that came with my kit i mainly use a knife but I'll try it also I already bought the foam roller and tried it I like although I think it would work better now that I know not to add so much water to my buttercream I can't wait to give that a try and see if less water makes it better

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #32 of 83

Which buttercream recipe do you use? I use Indydebi's and it crusts really well. I was really excited when I tried the foam roller...that was the first time I let a buttercream cake leave the house icon_biggrin.gif I used to always pipe vines on my buttercream cakes to hide the spatula marks.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige_Pittman86

. I am the kind of person I need detail lots of detail explain things in the most simple form and show me what you are talking about. You can tell me how to frost a cake all day long but untill I see it done I won't get it right. Hope that makes since to you.

Paige..that's my daughter's name icon_biggrin.gif I know exactly what you're talking about...I am also a visual learner. I have to SEE something done before I get it. That's why I suggested video tutorials. Youtube has some great ones (and not so great ones as well) icon_lol.gif These are the ones that helped me the most: Planet Cake's "how to cover a cake with fondant" Edna's "how to stack a cake"...actually Planet Cake and Edna both have several very good video tutorials for just about anything you want to know. I can't read instructions and know how to do something...but if you show me how to do it then I usually can. Edna has a great one on "how to ice a cake" and she also uses the Viva paper towel.

I agree with Texas_Rose, invest in a leveler for your cakes. I use a very long bread knife to level mine. I bake my cake layers over the top of my pan and cut straight across to level my cakes. I don't own a leveler and this method works well for me.

Good luck with your cake..and be sure to post pictures. thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #34 of 83

I use Wilton I just keep adding water till it's thin And watching that video she only added 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 tbls of water where I just keep dumping it in there so my mixer will hurry up and mix it..

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:04am
post #35 of 83

Oh, if you've been using Wilton, you really should try Indy's recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing It's so much easier to work with. I used the Wilton recipe for years and then I tried Indy's once to see what all the fuss was about, and my whole family said I wasn't allowed to go back to the Wilton recipe.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #36 of 83

Mamawrobin your daughter has a great name lol my sisters name is Robin. Anyways ednas videos were very great I watched those yesterday that's how I figured out I was adding too much water to my buttercream also watching her video is who I bought the bench scrapper. I do have a leveler but I never use it I also use the long bread knife. And about Indys buttercream I was going to try it the other day but I couldn't find whatever dream whip is. Has anybody ever bought it in
A kroger?

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #37 of 83

I'm a little sad.. I had a picture of my lingerie cake under my photos it was my favorite cake and it was my very first cake and it's not there anymore icon_sad.gif granted yall would t like the cake board but it was only a practice cake not ment for anybody.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #38 of 83

It's still there. There's a glitch that keeps you from seeing your own cakes in the naughty gallery but when someone else clicks on your photos they can see it. Here's the link to it: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1667681 and there's your other lingerie cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1686287

About finding the Dream Whip in the grocery store, it's either with the jello stuff, usually next to the jello cheesecake mixes, or it's with the cake mixes depending on the store. You might even get lucky and find a generic of it. It's a blue and white, kind of old-timey looking box. It costs about $4 for the big box with four packets.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #39 of 83

Thank you!! I'll be looking today. And thanks I was wondering where those pics went. I'm not fond of the 2nd one but the first one I had lots of fun doing. She just looks like she over did her tanning bed visits lol that copper came out really dark. And thank you I plan on going to kroger today I wish I had s walmart closer but the only one that is close enough for me just to make a quick trip is in the part of town I might risk getting shot just to get dream whip so here's hoping kroger has it. Dream whip was the only odd ball thing I needed right. I'll double check.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #40 of 83

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

This part Is just explaining what dream whip is or am I now looking for a powder whipped topping mix also? Also do I not need Any meringue powder for this?

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #41 of 83
Quote:

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

This part Is just explaining what dream whip is or am I now looking for a powder whipped topping mix also? Also do I not need Any meringue powder for this?

No Paige...you don't need meringue powder...I promise...I hate meringue powder it leaves an aftertaste to me...LOL...

Kroger has a powdered whipped topping (their brand) that works just as well as the Dream Whip. You might save a dollar or two with that.

Hey...your sister has a great name...LOL Of course I agree with you on my daughter's name..after all I named her that thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #42 of 83

Awesome good deal I'll be making me some tonight to see how it goes. I've heard people say that a lot about the meringue powder leaving an after taste but I've never noticed although I've tried it with out it. I searched kroger high and low the other day for their dream whip but I had no clue what I was looking for so I might have been looking straight at it and never would have really known it unless it hit me in the face. Has anybody ever used the crisco butter flavor? I bought some not knowing it would be yellow. Does that taste good or should I use regular crisco

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #43 of 83
Quote:

Awesome good deal I'll be making me some tonight to see how it goes. I've heard people say that a lot about the meringue powder leaving an after taste but I've never noticed although I've tried it with out it. I searched kroger high and low the other day for their dream whip but I had no clue what I was looking for so I might have been looking straight at it and never would have really known it unless it hit me in the face. Has anybody ever used the crisco butter flavor? I bought some not knowing it would be yellow. Does that taste good or should I use regular crisco

NO..DON'T use butter crisco...use regular crisco. I also beat the crisco for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. It looks like sour cream by the time I'm finished beating the heck out of it. I think it makes the icing creamier. Also SIFT your powdered sugar for the best results. I also warm (like baby bottle warm) the milk before adding. Not really necessary to do these things but I get the best results with this icing when I do. I love this icing because it crust extremely well and is so easy to smooth using the viva. Just don't ice a frozen or partially frozen cake. I did that once and it took just short of forever to crust...LOL....
Good luck....hope everything goes well....

Like Texas said the DW will be near the jello and pudding.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

NO..DON'T use butter crisco...use regular crisco. I also beat the crisco for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. It looks like sour cream by the time I'm finished beating the heck out of it. I think it makes the icing creamier. Also SIFT your powdered sugar for the best results. I also warm (like baby bottle warm) the milk before adding. Not really necessary to do these things but I get the best results with this icing when I do. I love this icing because it crust extremely well and is so easy to smooth using the viva. Just don't ice a frozen or partially frozen cake. I did that once and it took just short of forever to crust...LOL....
Good luck....hope everything goes well....

I'm such a slacker compared to you icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif I just throw it all in the bowl, put a towel over the head of the mixer and mix for about three minutes.

I wish we still had Krogers here, or even Albertsons. All we have is HEB or Walmart and neither one has generic dream whip.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:02pm
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I'm such a slacker compared to you icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif I just throw it all in the bowl, put a towel over the head of the mixer and mix for about three minutes.

I just like to complicate things...LOL...I just prefer the results I get by doing all that extra beating. Hey..that icing is good no matter how you mix it up.

I wish we still had Krogers here, or even Albertsons. All we have is HEB or Walmart and neither one has generic dream whip.

The least expensive place that I've found to get Dream Whip is Brookshires grocery store. I can get 4 envelopes for $3.87 there and it's $2.67 for 2 envelopes at Wal-Mart icon_eek.gif I don't have a Kroger locally but I buy their brand when I visit my sister. It works just as good. There isn't anywhere around here that has the generic either. I've thought about checking online to see if I could find it any cheaper.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #46 of 83

I FOUND DREAM WHIP!! i bough 2 boxes of kroger brand! it comes with like 6 little packs for the powder whip so i add an entire pack or just some of the pack.. i also went ahead and bought regular crisco. i usually use Kroger brand because it has 4 grams of trans fat in it..

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #47 of 83
Quote:

I FOUND DREAM WHIP!! i bough 2 boxes of kroger brand! it comes with like 6 little packs for the powder whip so i add an entire pack or just some of the pack.. i also went ahead and bought regular crisco. i usually use Kroger brand because it has 4 grams of trans fat in it..

Measure the Dream Whip...you use 3 Tablespoons for each batch. I always make a double batch and have to open 2 envelopes. It doesn't take all of the two pks. but I have to open two to have 6 tablespoons.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #48 of 83

So what makes this so much better than the Wilton? I haven't made it yet so I still don't no. Is there a taste difference

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #49 of 83
Quote:

So what makes this so much better than the Wilton? I haven't made it yet so I still don't no. Is there a taste difference

Yes. Probably the Dream Whip but it does taste much better. The caterer that I bake for actually ask be IF I used shortening in my icing. I personally don't like the Wilton but I do like Indydebi's as do countless others on cc.
There are numerous threads on the subject of Indydebi's buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #50 of 83

Really I'm now excited to try it but I did notice it calls for more shortening than Wilton. Is that correct 1 and 1/3 cups

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #51 of 83
Quote:

Really I'm now excited to try it but I did notice it calls for more shortening than Wilton. Is that correct 1 and 1/3 cups

Yes but her recipe has no butter and also twice as much sugar as the Wilton recipe so actually it is less fat to sugar ratio than the Wilton recipe.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm
post #52 of 83

Well I about to get started on everything it's due Sunday but I'd like to deliver it Saturday night when it's not soo warm out so here's hoping I get done.. I'm a little scared because I never freeze my cakes but I was a post about it and everybody said to freeze your cakes for a couple of hours so I guess I'll give it a go I just do not want it to become stale. I saw the cutest monster truck / monster jam cake on here the other day it was a smaller topsy turvy cake but everybody catch your breath and put your eyes back in your head before they pop out lol I'm not even gonna attempt it I just thought it was much cuter than doing a sheet cake it's a double birthday party so I have to have something big enough for both kids. Does the chocolate icing on the hersheys can crust?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #53 of 83
Quote:

Well I about to get started on everything it's due Sunday but I'd like to deliver it Saturday night when it's not soo warm out so here's hoping I get done.. I'm a little scared because I never freeze my cakes but I was a post about it and everybody said to freeze your cakes for a couple of hours so I guess I'll give it a go I just do not want it to become stale. I saw the cutest monster truck / monster jam cake on here the other day it was a smaller topsy turvy cake but everybody catch your breath and put your eyes back in your head before they pop out lol I'm not even gonna attempt it I just thought it was much cuter than doing a sheet cake it's a double birthday party so I have to have something big enough for both kids. Does the chocolate icing on the hersheys can crust?

I saw that cake...VERY cute!
I always freeze my cakes. When you take them from the freezer leave them wrapped until they're completely thawed!! The condensation will form on the plastic wrap and not your cake. You don't want the cake to be wet and gummy from condensation. thumbs_up.gif
Yes...the icing on the Hershey's can does crust. I make chocolate icing using Indydebi's buttercream. I just add 6 to 8 ounces of UNsweetened Baker's chocolate..melted and cooled...but still pourable...you have to add extra milk when adding chocolate but I add only a teaspoon at a time until I have the consistency right. I like using her recipe because it is easier for me to get her icing smooth than any other buttercream. I can't smooth any other icing like I can hers. The chocolate smooths as well as her original recipe.

good luck with your cake....and post pictures. thumbs_up.gif

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #54 of 83

HOLY CRAP! THAT BUTTERCREAM IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN WILTON. I REALLY THOUGHT I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN IT BUT I WAS WRONG. AND I ALSO LET IT MIX FOREVER LIKE ONE OF YOU SAID. ITS DOES NOT HAVE THAT CRISCO TASTE AT ALL ITS NOT GREASY ON YOUR FINGER WHEN YOU WIPE IT OFF. I ALWAYS SAY WHY DOES MY BUTTERCREAM STILL TASTE LIKE SHORTENING OR PURE POWDER SUGAR I EVEN WOULD HAD A TON OF VANILLA AND STILL WASN'T A HUGE FAN. I GAVE MY STEP SON A TASTE AND HE LOVES IT ALSO.. I JUST HOPE IT CRUST WITH OUT PUTTING IT IN THE FRIDGE AND ILL BE SOLD 100% ALSO I BOUGHT SOME DUFF FONDANT BECAUSE I HAD A 40% OFF COUPON AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE MAKING MMF ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO USE IT THE SMELL AND TASTE ALONE WAS WONDERFUL. WHEN I OPENED IT I DIDN'T EVEN GET THE BAG OPEN AND I WAS OH THAT SMELLS WONDERFUL. AND IT TASTE JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MMF. HAS ANYBODY ELSE USED IT?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #55 of 83
Quote:

HOLY CRAP! THAT BUTTERCREAM IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN WILTON. I REALLY THOUGHT I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN IT BUT I WAS WRONG. AND I ALSO LET IT MIX FOREVER LIKE ONE OF YOU SAID. ITS DOES NOT HAVE THAT CRISCO TASTE AT ALL ITS NOT GREASY ON YOUR FINGER WHEN YOU WIPE IT OFF. I ALWAYS SAY WHY DOES MY BUTTERCREAM STILL TASTE LIKE SHORTENING OR PURE POWDER SUGAR I EVEN WOULD HAD A TON OF VANILLA AND STILL WASN'T A HUGE FAN. I GAVE MY STEP SON A TASTE AND HE LOVES IT ALSO.. I JUST HOPE IT CRUST WITH OUT PUTTING IT IN THE FRIDGE AND ILL BE SOLD 100% ALSO I BOUGHT SOME DUFF FONDANT BECAUSE I HAD A 40% OFF COUPON AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE MAKING MMF ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO USE IT THE SMELL AND TASTE ALONE WAS WONDERFUL. WHEN I OPENED IT I DIDN'T EVEN GET THE BAG OPEN AND I WAS OH THAT SMELLS WONDERFUL. AND IT TASTE JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MMF. HAS ANYBODY ELSE USED IT?

I'm..LOL..after reading your post. thumbs_up.gif Told you it was better. You're going to LOVE the way it crust. JUST DON'T PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE and it will crust within 5-10 minutes...I promise...This icing crust faster than any other I've ever used. But if you put it in the fridge it takes much longer to crust. Putting it in the fridge firms icing but it will not cause it to crust...crusting is caused by air drying the icing and this cannot happen if you refrigerate your cake. That said..........So glad that you like the icing.
Duff's fondant is Fondarific...and yes it IS good.
Good luck with your cake thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #56 of 83

I love Indydebi's recipe, and I make it the way Mamawrobin suggests! I also love Fondarfic, it is my favorite. Just be careful in the summer heat, it has a tendency to want to melt.

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #57 of 83

well i bought the fondant when i thought i was gonna make monster trucks out of RKT then just cover in fondant. But my husband stopped by the store to get him something to drink and she saw these 2 monster trucks that light up and make the noise and he picked em so i am gonna use those instead because this 2 boys will get to keep em when its over and and they are way cooler than what i would have come up with. also i do have another question i noticed on all the monster jam cakes they have the black and white checker board flags i thought it would be cool to do the cake board checker board but what can i use i have craft paint and stuff but i don't think i could use craft paint. what is food safe that is easy to use

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #58 of 83

oh i also cant wait to try Duffs cake tattoos i thought those looked really neat which they are probably the same thing as edible image but i liked the style of the ones i saw in the store. though i wish he more options with those i can think of 100 different ones i would want

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:11pm
post #59 of 83

You can use some kind of gel food coloring, like Wilton, or Americolor Soft Gel Paste, mixed with vodka. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:11pm
post #60 of 83

You could make the checkerboard with squares of fondant. You could also cover the board with fondant and then score lines into it with your bench scraper or a knife, and paint the fondant squares with icing color mixed with vodka. The only downside is that if you use Wilton's black and mix it with vodka, sometimes it turns green and purple when it dries, but if you use straight icing color it takes a week to dry.

I'm glad you like Indydebi's recipe. When I make it chocolate, I add a cup of cocoa powder and some bourbon, but you can sub a little extra milk for the bourbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%