Newbie Here- Please Help

Decorating By njnectarine Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm by Karen421

njnectarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njnectarine Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

I will be attempting to make a cake for my son's 1st bday. We're invited a lot of people and I would like to make a 2 tier cake...the question is: how to I stock them up...do I just put the smaller cake directly on top of the bigger cake or do I use some sort of reinforcement? I have no idea what to do and buy..please help me!

9 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC!

How many people are you going to feed? Is this your first cake?

If you stack, yes you must, MUST, use dowels or straws in the bottom tier for support!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 10

No you need support in the bottom tie to hold the top tier. If the party is in your home I would stack it where the cake will be displayed at the party.

You need wooden or plastic dowels cut to height of the bottom tier. Here's a tip don't stick your supports all the way down in the bottom tier; leave about 1/2" out. When you place the top tier on the supports the weight of the cake will push the supports down the rest of the way. Check out how to stack cakes tutorials on youtube. I know that the very talented Tonedna has one that's great.

You cake also use the sps, it's a support system for tiered cakes. There's a sticky with all you kneed to know in the cake decorating forum.

What theme is your sons party going to be; do you already have a cake idea?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #4 of 10

If you go on You Tube and search on "stacking cake" several videos will come up. Here is Edna's she is really wonderful!!! HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #5 of 10

I use cardboard circles and straws to support my tiered cakes. Karen is right, youtube has several great videos on "how to stack a cake".

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 10

There are TONS of tutorials here on Cake Central! Look in the forums under the "How Do I" thread, it will tell you in great detail all the how and why you need to know.

njnectarine Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 10

wow! Thank God I asked, otherwise my cake would probably colapse! The theme of the party is Jungle since we call our son Little Tiger. I bake pretty good cakes (taste wise) but I never ever decorate/ stack them before since they are usually gone right after I take them out of the oven. I saw so many beautiful animal cakes here in the galery but I am kind of scared I will mess it up... I guess I will have to practice at least once before...if it doens't work, I just order the cake from the bakery!

njnectarine Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

btw- what kind of filling would you recommend for vanilla and chocalate cake ..I am thining Oreo (recipe from this site) or caramel (same)...any other ideas? opinions? Thanks so much!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 10

Oreo is always good for kiddy parties! You cab just mash up a bunch and add them to your buttercream, makes a great, stable filling.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 10

That would be my vote too!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%