Ganache Under Fondant?

Decorating By rosey422 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 5:50am by rosey422

rosey422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosey422 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 15

Can you use chocolate ganache under fondant instead of buttercream, have a new mother that doesn't like fondant wants chocolate in the cake but her design pics that she sent me are with fondant. I thought if i could use ganache under the fondant she could pull it off and still have the chocolate any thoughts.... icon_rolleyes.gif

14 replies
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 15

Yes you can! I just got the book Planet Cake and they use ganache under fondant for their cakes...gives it a smoother appearance and sharper lines when covering with fondant. They suggest using a syrup to get the fondant to stick though. HTH icon_smile.gif

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 15

Yes you can. I made a cake just this weekend that way. It needs to be the spreadable ganache not the pourable type. 2:1 chocolate to cream for dark chocolate and 3:1 for white chocolate.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 15

Absolutely! There are people who will only use ganache. I actually prefer it. This cake has ganache under the fondant and it came out great!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1734515

snocilla Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by meharding

Yes you can. I made a cake just this weekend that way. It needs to be the spreadable ganache not the pourable type. 2:1 chocolate to cream for dark chocolate and 3:1 for white chocolate.

Yes I use a 2:1 ratio. Less than that will run off and will not work!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 15

I agree with the 2:1 ratio and Planet Cake has a great tutorial on youtube "how to cover a cake with fondant". This is the method that I use even when covering a buttercream cake. I use simple syrup and a pastry brush to apply it to my cake.

rosey422 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 15

thank you so much that just solved my problem she can have her chocolate and just peel the fondant off. thanks again

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 15

I have to say that 99% of all my cakes are covered in either chocolate, caramel or white chocolate ganache and then fondant - have never had a problem, I love it and so do my customers.

Good luck,

Kim icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

I have to say that 99% of all my cakes are covered in either chocolate, caramel or white chocolate ganache and then fondant - have never had a problem, I love it and so do my customers.

Good luck,

Kim icon_smile.gif

Ok..I've never heard of caramel ganache but it sounds absolutely wonderful.

crism5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crism5 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #10 of 15

So I am new at "cakeing" and have gotten pretty ok at the homemade cakes, and MMF is giving me fits for the first time, my buttercream is pretty good (so I've been told) SO I have also been wondering about ganache under fondant. Stupid question I'm sure but would you also replace it between the layers?

snocilla Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crism5

So I am new at "cakeing" and have gotten pretty ok at the homemade cakes, and MMF is giving me fits for the first time, my buttercream is pretty good (so I've been told) SO I have also been wondering about ganache under fondant. Stupid question I'm sure but would you also replace it between the layers?

I do!

crism5 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #12 of 15

snocilla : Thanks!! I cannot wait to make for my next cake!!

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

Good luck,

Kim icon_smile.gif

Ok..I've never heard of caramel ganache but it sounds absolutely wonderful.

Neither have I but sounds delicious would love the recipe!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

crism5 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 15

OMG so I have officially converted to ganash under fondant! Soooo yummy and easy!! This cake was dry though. I baked it on Mon was gonna put fondant on Tues so I put it in the fridge. Got home Tues and AC was out so I had to put fondant on Wed. Maybe this is why it's dry?!?!

rosey422 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #15 of 15

I think it is like putting bread in the fridge it drys out better off to freeze it and unthaw completley before putting fondant on

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%