Help First Time With Cake Making

Decorating By shanas Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm by katibeth88

shanas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanas Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 8

icon_redface.gif I am new to the fancy fondant cake making. I am more a dinner and supper cook. I can tell you how to make anything from seafood to meat. Of course the easy things like parlines and fudge but nothing like this. I need help my daughter's 16 birthday is coming up and I want to make something nice and she wants a tier cake of course made from fondant with the little designs etc. I don't even know what kind of cake pans to buy or even what I need can someone help me please so I can start practicing. I am looking at flowers and maybe a bow on top. I have found some pre made but then I read somewhere that I need something to smooth it out etc I have no earthly idea what to buy. Thanks everyone
Shana

7 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 8

Check out some tutorials on youtube on smoothing fondant. There is also something on Cake Central showing how to make a fondant bow, just do a search. The marshmallow fondant recipe on here is pretty easy and cheap to use. There are some fondant smoother tools that are about $4 and way worth it. I got some of my pans from Country Kitchen SweetArt (online). Magic line and Fat Daddios are pretty good pans. The main thing is to have fun! Good luck.

shanas Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 8

I am so overwhelmed with everything you need I read one thing on another site then I read something else somewhere else. oh am I so confused!!

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 8

I use the regular Wilton pans..usually round ones but mainly because I've never used anything else. You'll need a good buttercream recipe to crumb coat the layers with before frosting and then covering in fondant. Everyone on here has her favorite buttercream recipe. I've always used Wilton's but only because I've never gotten around to trying anything new.

You will want to invest in a fondant cutter of some kind. I got mine from Walmart and it came with like 3 cutter thingies (looks like a tiny pizza cutter). You can choose from a straight cut, a zigzag cut, etc. You'll also need a fondant smoother which looks kind of like an iron (also available at Walmart). and a good rolling pin, flat surface on which you can slather lots of Crisco on while rolling out the fondant.

I hope you legit bakers will not criticize me too badly for suggesting things you can buy at Walmart. icon_razz.gif I've just started making cakes for selling but haven't received a complaint yet. If this is just a one time thing, there's no need to order tons of fancy professional tools.

If you're buying your fondant, you may want to steer clear of Wilton. The last time I tried it, it was super chemically and just not appetizing at all. I hear girls on here using Satin Ice and Fondx but I personally have never used them. Fondarific is supposed to be one of the bests. Like awatterson said, marshmallow fondant is the cheapest way to go, plus it's tasty.

You can go to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or even Walmart to see if they have any cuttouts you're interested in.

so............ is that kinda what you're askin?

shanas Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much yes thats what I am asking do you have to roll it out? thanks

katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, you will have to roll it out. Fondant is kind of like play doh. If you buy it, it will probably come in a tub. You'll need to knead it until it is the consistancy that will allow you to roll it out. If you make it yourself, you'll need to add sugar or crisco as you're kneading in order to get it to the right consistancy. After greasing my countertop, I'll try to roll it out. In the tutorials I've seen, people roll out the fondant, then roll it onto the rolling pin and then slowly unrolling it onto the cake. This is where the fondant smoother comes in handy.

I've recently learned that having the cake elevated during this process will make a huge difference and keep you from having wrinkles. Someone suggested setting the cake on top of a tall turntable or pan whose circumference is smaller than the cake, this way, the fondant can kind of sag into place. you'll still need to go around the sides smoothing it down onto the cake, but this will help prevent folds or wrinkles. I would definitely suggest watching video tutorials.

shanas Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8

Ok so I am going to watch everything today and start on Saturday hopefully I can find some good cake pans at wal mart. I went to one site last night and they had the daddos hope thats right pans kinda cheap but will compare it to wal mart. I did not even think about a cake stand.Will check it out.
thanks again for everything
Shana

katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8

No problem! let me know how it goes! Oh and don't forget dowel rods and cake boards if you're stacking tiers. I'm sure there are tutorials for that as well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%