Pvc Pipe

Decorating By uniquecreations Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:47am by linda2530

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 20

I notice that a lot of people use PVC pipe for the structure of theie cakes and they put the cakes directly on the pipes is the pipe food safe or are they wrapping it with something?

19 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 20

I think I read in an old thread that PVC pipe that is designed to carry water is food-safe; pipe that is designed for sewer use is not food-safe. I could be remembering this incorrectly, as I am prone to extreme forgetfulness.
Now, what was the question?

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I think I read in an old thread that PVC pipe that is designed to carry water is food-safe; pipe that is designed for sewer use is not food-safe. I could be remembering this incorrectly, as I am prone to extreme forgetfulness.
Now, what was the question?

You are too Funnyicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I think you answered it, and that would make since if it's safe four water should be safe for cakes, thanks for your reply

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 20

Yep, food safe if you get it from like home depot. Just like cutthecake said, since it carries our water, we can eat it.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 20

This is good to know! I have wondered about this! Now, that I know the answer, I can go forward with using the correct pvc pipe in the future!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 20

Yes it's "food safe" but I soak in a sanitizer and run thru the dishwasher before using on cakes. PVC pipe makes a great rolling pin for fondant as well thumbs_up.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 20

PVC pipe makes a great rolling pin for fondant as well thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

Cool idea! Never thought about that. I'll have to try it! icon_smile.gif

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Yes it's "food safe" but I soak in a sanitizer and run thru the dishwasher before using on cakes. PVC pipe makes a great rolling pin for fondant as well thumbs_up.gif

Good idea and cheaper thanks, thanks, thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif You just gotta love the people here on CC

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 20

Definitely wash it well in hot soapy water or the dishwasher - you don't know what hands have been handling it!

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel30014

PVC pipe makes a great rolling pin for fondant as well thumbs_up.gif

Cool idea! Never thought about that. I'll have to try it! icon_smile.gif[/quote]

I have one that's about 26" long. icon_lol.gif You can get them to cut it any length that you need and it's so lightweight....and so inexpensive. thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 20

Isn't everything at Home Depot sanitary?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:

no. different types for different uses.

water type is usually white.

and re rolling pin:

see this thread.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652560&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

great discussion with additional tips.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel30014

PVC pipe makes a great rolling pin for fondant as well thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Cool idea! Never thought about that. I'll have to try it! icon_smile.gif

I have one that's about 26" long. icon_lol.gif You can get them to cut it any length that you need and it's so lightweight....and so inexpensive. thumbs_up.gif

The best $2.50 I've ever spent!!!!

cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 20

I was kidding! It's filthy in there! I usually come home and take a shower after shopping there.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

I was kidding! It's filthy in there! I usually come home and take a shower after shopping there.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

and it just goes to show how guys think differently than gals.

I parsed that original question to mean:

isn't everything (all the types of PVC) at Home Depot sanitary (meaning food grade)?

where as it seems the intended meaning was:

isn't everything at Home Depot, including the floors, so clean you could eat your dinner off it?

Home Depot sort of guys just don't see "dirt" in that way.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #17 of 20

Yep...Doug you're absolutely right. I am the mother of six boys...believe me I know. icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #18 of 20

Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't translate to the written word. Sorry about that, Doug!
My favorite job EVER was in a family-owned (not my family), small-town hardware store, back in the 1960's. It had creaky, uneven wooden floors, and shelves and bins and alcoves filled with all sorts of interesting things, and a trap door behind the counter. I sure miss that place.
I guess I'm a "hardware store sort of girl"!

Doug Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't translate to the written word. Sorry about that, Doug!
My favorite job EVER was in a family-owned (not my family), small-town hardware store, back in the 1960's. It had creaky, uneven wooden floors, and shelves and bins and alcoves filled with all sorts of interesting things, and a trap door behind the counter. I sure miss that place.
I guess I'm a "hardware store sort of girl"!

YES! the one in my hometown was Black's Hardware. LOVED that place.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #20 of 20

Potable water PVC is a must have in my kitchen. But the other item is a PVC cutter, if I remember correctly they cost between $10 and $15 and I can cut my tubes any length I want and the cuts are clean and usually perfectly smooth. It makes it so easy to have the tubes as long or short as needed! And I also always wash them in hot soapy water or the dishwasher before use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%