Cheesecake Wedding Cake??? Help

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 15

My cousin asked me to make her wedding cake, but they want a cheesecake. How do I stack and decorate a cheesecake? How long do I cook the 12 inch? the 6 inch? I am used to making my 10 inch round cheesecake and thats it..LOL I dont want to lose the cheesecake flavor with sweet buttercream or fondant, is that even possible? I am new to this so, this is a challenge. Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am very nervous about doing this cake Thank you!

14 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 15

i would say just do the cheesecakes as is with some fruit on it! I've seen a brownie cake that was just stacked with the brownies themselves and then decorated in chocolate...they used the plastic columns and tiers to show off the natural beauty of the brownies....I think this would be pretty IMHO

as far as the baking time I would assume you would either subtract or minus time from the original that you normally do. Good luck!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 15

What about frosting it with ganache instead of a buttercream? Cheesecake and chocolate go great together! Hmmm...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it icon_wink.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 15

I have made a couple cheesecake wedding cakes. I use the 3" deep round cake pans. The recipe I used is in The Cake Bible and everybody loves it. There is a frosting recipe for it as well and it pipes a pretty nice border. I used the floating cake stand to hold the cakes so they were not stacked directly on each other.
I did make one that I used pillars between the tiers, the kind that go all the way through the cake layer to the baseplate.
I also made a 12 in square cheesecake and topped it with a Scrabble scrapbook page that was laminated for a bridal shower. That picture is attached. I couldn't locate a digital one of the wedding cakes, yet.
You will need a lot of refrigerator space to keep them cold. (That's how I got my current fridge, my old one was only 10 cubic feet, waay too small for the three tiers of the cheescake wedding cake I had to do at the time)
LL

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 6:47am
post #5 of 15

This is what I would frost the cakes in if I had to make a cheesecake wedding cake. The lady that created this recipe uses it to cover cheesecakes. This is my favorite cream cheese recipe. Works beautifully for decorating. The baptism cake with the angels is frosted in this recipe.
1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-comicon_surprised.gifffice:smarttags" />Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar.

sechrestloans Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 15

thank you all for your help!! im going to make a trial run next week. I will let you all know how it goes! Thank you all for your tips!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 15

Please make sure the venue also has refrigerator space to hold this prior to serving. That's only one of the reasons I refuse these types of orders.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 15

I found pictures of 3 of my wedding cheesecakes.
LL
LL
LL

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #9 of 15

Don't know if this helps or not, but a bakery here in town is known for their 'cheesecake' cakes. Only they're not really cheesecakes per se. They use a vanilla cake with a massive amount of cream cheese filling between layers. I'm talking 2 inches at least. They frost with a cream cheese icing. Very popular...but they deliver them FROZEN and it takes forever for them to thaw. Don't know if they have to do that or if they do it for convenience sake. Anyway thought I'd pass that along. Also, I've seen actual crustless cheesecakes used between layers as well. Not everyone likes cheesecake and something like this could offer the best of both worlds. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #10 of 15

If you have a good support system like SPS, then staking shouldn't be an issue, the weight rests on the support not the cakes but I'd be more concerned with how long it'd be displayed for. Not only is it a potential hazard, but warm cheesecake tastes gross.

sechrestloans Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 15

thank you for the pics!the cakes are beautiful! I am going to attempt this with a floating stand. I made sure there is a fridge for the cake before serving also. This should be interesting. The wedding is not until OCtober 2nd so I have some time to practice. My husband is going to be sick of eating cheesecake..LOL

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #12 of 15

How could anyone ever get sick of eating cheesecake! lol!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #13 of 15

A couple of years ago I made a 4 tier cheesecake wedding cake. I baked the cheesecakes in regular cake pans lined with foil for the 12" one and parchment paper for the smaller sizes. After they were baked I froze them and mounted them on foam board. I cut the size of the foam board to 1/4 inch larger than the cheesecake itself and I had 2 cheesecakes to a tier. I stacked 3 tiers up and then put pillars between the top layer to set the final tier higher. I left them frozen and assembled them at the reception and iced them in Bettercreme that I whipped at the venue. They had the cake cutting about 3 or 4 hours later and the cheesecakes were still cold.
evelyn

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 15

I did a cheesecake wedding using floating cake stands...frosted in buttercream and decorated...it was wonderful, unique and tasty! I did ask the hall waiters to put cakes in fridged after photos but they never got around to it after repeated requested. It tasted fine but would have been better cold. Bride/groom took photos at cake as soon as they entered hall so it would have been a great idea had they complied.

sechrestloans Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 15

bettercreme sounds good to frost with... not too sweet. thank you all again for all the differnt tips. This is actually starting to sound like fun to me.... im still a newbie though so I am looking forward to the challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%