Can I Make Fondant A Day In Advance

Decorating By MizzMinor Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm by tmelrose

MizzMinor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MizzMinor Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to the cake decorating and am making my first big cake for my god-daughters birthday. I work full time and am wondering with my time constraints if it is ok to make the fondant on one night and then cover the cake with it on the following night?

6 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 7

You should always make your fondant a day ahead and let it rest before you use it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 7

actually that's best. While you can use it fresh made (done that), it is better to let it "take a nap" (rest) overnight

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 7

that is the way I do it and sometimes make it the weekend before I need it. It is better when you you give it time to rest.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 7

Like the others have said...you SHOULD make it at least a day in advance. You can't use fondant right after it's been made. I make several batches twice a week so that I always have it on hand. I use Michele Foster's Fondant exclusively. I don't use MMF....hate the stuff...and I don't care for most premade fondants.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

If we are using fondant, how far in advance can we make it? If we cover it and let it sit at room temperature, how long will it keep?

My son is getting married July 17th, and I was wondering how far in advance I can make and keep some fondant decorations.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
TY

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7

MFF is good for a month (sealed tight) at room temp and frozen for up to 3 months.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%