Red Fondant

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm by Jamielc

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake due Saturday, an 8" square cake, to be covered in RED fondant. Should I go ahead and make it or should I pay the price and buy a bucket of red? The problem is I don't have time to order, so I'd have to buy either wilton(yuck) or the duff brand fondant ($$)

I've make red before but never had to cover a cake in it so wonder if the fondant is going to break down with all that colouring? I wonder if it would be better to make pink fondant then tint that red?

Thanks!

10 replies
sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 11

There are many opinions on this probably, but I found it painful coloring my own fondant red. I would just buy it this time, use a coupon, and it shouldn't be too expensive. The cake is small enough you will only need to buy one bucket, and will probably save a lot of time and effort for you!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 11

print off a michaels coupon and go get Duffs. It is pricey but the the texture if great.

thesweetconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetconfection Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 11

If you make your own MMF; color the marshmallows once you melt them; before adding powdered sugar. Get it nice and dark and you won't have to spend an hour kneading red color in.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 11

Buy it - less mess, trouble and the color won't fade.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 11

Someone on here said that the Wilton stuff doesn't taste that bad anymore. I haven't personally tried it though.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 11

I made an entire batch of black MMF by adding the color to the melted marshmallows and it didn't even stain my hands. Not everyone is a fan of MMF but the only option for buying fondant in my area is wilton so it's MMF for me.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 11

I added 1/2 bag of red candy melts to my marshmallows and microwaved them together. after kneading I added a few smears of red gel but the color still wasn't the red I wanted BUT I wrapped it up and put it away. Now, 2 days later when I need to use it, it is the deep dark red I want. I always heard the colors would darken after 24-48 hrs and now I know it's true.

WelshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WelshCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 11

As a matter of fact I just made some red Marshmallow fondant last night. Add a ton of red to your marshmallows before you melt then mix. I didn't add enough red so I had to knead in more but finally got close enough to the color I was going for. Pay more work less, or pay less and work more??? That is the question.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 11

I always buy red and black fondant ready-made. It's too time-consuming in general terms to make it at home and too hard to get these colors with gel. (I always buy white fondant ready-made, too, and color it for everything else I need.) But I'm glad to have the information on how to get a really deep red with home-made fondant, too, 'cause you never know when you're going to run out in the middle of a project! Thanks, guys!

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 11

In my stores, Wilton doesn't offer big enough quantities of colored fondant. I've not yet purchased Duff's as I don't have the money even WITH coupons. Personally, I make my own MMF. If my whole batch is going to be one color, I just add my gel coloring right to the melted marshmallows. If I'm making black fondant, I start with making chocolate fondant, uses less black that way. Saves me tons of time, effort and aggravation. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%