A Customer Inquired About Boiling Icing. What?!!!

Decorating By Dolledupcakes Updated 8 Jun 2014 , 4:30pm by lisabrienne

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 32

I have never heard of "boiling Icing" icon_confused.gif and the customer wants it for her sons wedding cake... detective.gif

Someone give me some insight please.

Thank you!!!!

31 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 32

It's called "boiled icing" and it's a very old fashioned way to make icing. I think, but am not sure, 7 minute icing is the same thing. So do a google search on boiled icing recipe and you are bound to find it.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 32

It is boiled icing, or 7 minute icing. I don't know if it's regional or not but I've grown up with this icing in the south. It's fantastic! It's a poured icing, chocolate but maybe could be other flavors I've only had chocolate. I can see if I can find my moms recipe if you'd like.

Edited to add: yes it is very old fashioned. I remember my Grandmother making it.

Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of 32

NO WAY?! The recipe would be great. Thank you so much!!!

Would I pour it like chocolate ganache?

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 32

Oh yeah, my husband is from the south. Boiled icing is generally a vanilla icing. My mother in law sent me a ton of southern cookbooks about a year ago. They are hilarious and great! Here is their Seven Minute Double Boiler Frosting Recipe:

1 1/2 c. sugar
2 egg whites
1 TBLSP. light corn syrup
Dash of salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, and salt in top of a large double boiler. add cold water and beat on low speed of electric mixer for 30 sec. Place over boiling water.beat constantly on high speed about 7 min. or until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat 2 additional minutes or until thick enoughh to spread. makes enough for one 3 layer cake

This actually was in the cookbook caled The Southern Heritage Cakes cookbook with a cake called Mount Vernon Cake!

good Luck.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #6 of 32

I love boiled icing. it was one of my aunts favorite icings to make (aka torment me with). I had to brow beat her for almost 19 years to get it from her. icon_biggrin.gif Hers is ssssoooooo good. She finally gave it to me for Christmas LAST year!!

tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

Oh yeah, my husband is from the south. Boiled icing is generally a vanilla icing. My mother in law sent me a ton of southern cookbooks about a year ago. They are hilarious and great! Here is their Seven Minute Double Boiler Frosting Recipe:

1 1/2 c. sugar
2 egg whites
1 TBLSP. light corn syrup
Dash of salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, and salt in top of a large double boiler. add cold water and beat on low speed of electric mixer for 30 sec. Place over boiling water.beat constantly on high speed about 7 min. or until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat 2 additional minutes or until thick enoughh to spread. makes enough for one 3 layer cake

This actually was in the cookbook caled The Southern Heritage Cakes cookbook with a cake called Mount Vernon Cake!

good Luck.

wow.. my recipe is really different. I'm gonna have to try yours too. icon_biggrin.gif she would fall over if I made an icing that could beat hers in taste..heheh.. friendly competion. she is my fav aunt.

cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #8 of 32

Tesso, your aunt's recipe may be better than the one I have. I generally find the boiled frosting to be pretty tasteless. But it's all over these cookbooks and generally the same ingredients as the recipe I listed.

Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #9 of 32

powder sugar? or regular?

Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #10 of 32

Thank you to all who have replied.

cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #11 of 32

definitely granulated sugar

tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #12 of 32

okay here is aunts recipe:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp of cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup hot water
4 egg whites (room temp)
1 tsp of almond extract

combine: sugar, salt, water, tartar cook over medium heat, stir until it is clear. Then without stiring cook to 240 degrees (soft ball stage)

beat (room temp) egg whites until soft peaks form. keep beating and slowly add hot mixture. (oops forgot..add extract) Beat until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick (spreading consistancy)

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:00am
post #13 of 32

Warning, in my experience with this icing (which is delicious) it crusts pretty fast and it crusts HARD, kind of like baked meringues.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:09am
post #14 of 32

yumm...ermine icing, also called butter roux. traditionally what red velvet is made with. The recipe I used does not crust hard like a meringue..no clue...and tastes like melted ice cream....yummmmmmmmm

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Ermine-Frosting-%28Butter-Roux-or-Boiled-milk-Frosting%29/13589/

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:11am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

yumm...ermine icing, also called butter roux. traditionally what red velvet is made with. The recipe I used does not crust hard like a meringue..no clue...and tastes like melted ice cream....yummmmmmmmm

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Ermine-Frosting-%28Butter-Roux-or-Boiled-milk-Frosting%29/13589/

wait, I'm reading the posts...maybe boiled icing and boiled milk icing are different......u really need to ask..maybe find out what it tastes like to her? Or go with the consensus...which is that 7 min stuff.......

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:19am
post #16 of 32

My mom made 7 minute icing a lot when I was little and she was from Minnesota. From what I know of my family nobody on either side is from the south so maybe it's more of a generational thing? I've never made it, yet, but it's always been one I've wanted to try.

noni12601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noni12601 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:09am
post #17 of 32

This recipe is from the Wilton site it is so easy and it tastes awesome.I Iced this cake with it.

Ingredients: FLUFFY BOILED ICING

* 3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
* 1/2 cup cold water
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup corn syrup
* 1/2 cup water

Makes: About 8 cups of icing.

instructions

Beat meringue powder and 1/2 cup cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes. In microwave safe bowl combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water. Heat on high bringing syrup mixture to a boil (approx. 5 minutes). Remove from microwave and let mixture cool slightly (1-2 minutes). Slowly add syrup to meringue mixture. Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes until stiff and glossy.

For top of range: Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to boil; cool slightly and follow directions above.
LL

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 32

Just looked up my mom's recipe. I was wrong about it being chocolate obviously. LOL. I might have been thinking about boiled cookies with the chocolate. But 7 minute icing is like these ladies have talked about. It does set up really fast and I can remember my mom fussing a lot about not getting it on good before it sets. It's super super yummy!!!!!! Mom say's it's actually divinity (sp?) and is very tricky to work with. Her advice would be to practice it first. Good luck!!

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #19 of 32

My Grandmother always made this type of icing every year and would dye it pink and put it on my Angle Food birthday cake. I remember it being very "sticky" for lack of a better term... but awwww memories.... I miss my Grandma!!! icon_smile.gificon_cry.gif

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 32

I remember having boiled icing only once...I can't remember the details too vividly but I remember that I liked it. I have been meaning to make it just to try to add something more to my skills list icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 32

Oh yah, boiled icing is delish!! It's almost marshmallow-y. A little sticky, and a lot scrumptious!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 32

When I think of boiled icing, I think of the kind we put on red velvet. It uses flour. There is also a choc. boiled icing. It is delicious. Almost like a choc. pudding, fudgy kind of icing if I remember. It's been awhile since I've had it. I have the recipe somewhere, but would take time to find it.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #23 of 32

You need to ask your customer which icing she is referring to. Boiled or cooked frosting is a lot different than egg white 7minute frosting. I'm taking a wild guess, but I bet she's meaning the cooked flour sugar butter mixture that was always used for red velvet cake when I was a kid.

If you like Pioneer woman's website she's got a cooked frosting recipe posted you might want to check out. Theres a lot of positive comments on the frosting too. Thats always a good sign.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

When I think of boiled icing, I think of the kind we put on red velvet. It uses flour. There is also a choc. boiled icing. It is delicious. Almost like a choc. pudding, fudgy kind of icing if I remember. It's been awhile since I've had it. I have the recipe somewhere, but would take time to find it.

I know the chocolate one you're talking about. My mom has put it on her brownies since the dawn of time! It's right on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can! That's good stuff, too! thumbs_up.gif

ETA: Holy crud, it's NOT on the can, I just checked. It's been replaced with two different hto cocoa recipes instead of one hot cocoa and the boiled icing. Weird. It's not on their website that I can find either. icon_confused.gif

Price Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #25 of 32

Melvira, it's a different one, but I use the one on the Hershey can too and love it. I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I can find it.

Price Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #26 of 32

OK, I can't believe I found it. icon_surprised.gif Now I'm hungry for a cake with this icing! This is a very old recipe!

Boiled Chocolate Icing

1 c. water
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. cocoa
dash of salt
lump of butter
vanilla

Put in pan. Cook until boils.
Stir with potato masher. Take off stove.
Beat with a spoon a little until ready to spread.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #27 of 32

My family has always liked the 7 minute frosting! It comes from an OLD Betty Crocker Cook Book. They also call it sticky frosting (like many of you). Their favorite is angel food cake with sticky icing! I do know there is also a boiled one with flour (as others have suggested). You may want to check with the customer.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #28 of 32

Hmmm - interesting. I tried one with the cooked milk and flour before and wasn't a fan but maybe it is time to try one of these. The chocolate one sounds fabulous!

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 32

My mum made two kinds of boiled icings growing up. One was a rich, creamy, flour-based icing that, I believe, is used in the US on red velvet cake. The other was the seven minute icing, which, as I commented before, is like meringue and crusts quite quickly. Both are fairly difficult to work with decoration-wise.

The former is very soft and melts extremely easily. The latter sets up very quickly and is quite hard once set. You have to work fast!

As the pps have said, find out the recipe that your client is talking about and practice!

cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #30 of 32

the red velvet cake vanilla frosting with flour is on the Swan's Down box - or it is where I am. It's also in the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%