It Should Be Legal To Shoot The Mob After 10 No's!!

Decorating By tesso Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 11:27am by mamawrobin

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 26

I have this MOB who keeps asking me to do her daughters cake. SHE WANTS ANGEL FOOD...with buttercream icing and fondant and a whole helluva lot of fondant decos!! I keep telling her .. I am sorry but angel food will not hold up under fondant ..etc..etc..

I even told her I asked some other bakers (you guys, different post) if they had any ideas on it they all said.. NO. it wont work.

I offered to do (cringe) angel food cupcakes display, told her to go look at cupcake stands etc... and maybe a traditional cake for the top tier.. no idea suited her, and the one that did I refused to do. (I refuse to do coolwhip icing and strawberries for an outside wedding in august!! dunce.gif it is already in the 90's here!) but NO !! she wants angel food with butter cream and fondant or coolwhip and stawberries. I told her "Sorry, I cant do your cake. I just wont do a cake that i know will collapse and melt. you'll have to find someone else." I was biting my tongue and being polite and professional.

Will she take NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO for an answer? NO. Ten SEPERATE times I have told her I will not do this cake. I dont care how bad her daughter wants a four tier stacked angel food cake. icon_mad.gif I am not going to change my mind on this.

My question is .. If I cant shoot her..can I at least taser her? icon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gif Thanks for letting me vent.

25 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 26

Holy cow! Talk about not getting the message.
icon_eek.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 26

Stick to your guns you are doing the right thing :0)
I vote for tasing!

cakesbycathy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #4 of 26

Maybe if you stop taking her calls or answering her messages she will finally get the hint.

tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Maybe if you stop taking her calls or answering her messages she will finally get the hint.

I wish it was that easy !! I work in the same department as her. (sigh) every few days. "are you sure you cant do the cake?No one else will do it, or they are booked that day. Come on, please, I know you can do it." (insert my growling here)

I so wanted to say.. they probably arent booked, they just wont do it either !!! icon_mad.gif but I am professional even when it HURTS to be. I refuse to lie to her and tell her I am booked. My explaination of why the cake she wants wont work should be enough. (it is now a point of principle, (or my redheaded stubborness icon_razz.gif ) but after a few more weeks of this.. I may just breakdown and lie my arse off to her!)

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 26

Did she already give you the deposit? I would tell her go find someone else who will do it.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #7 of 26

Try.... "I CAN do a white sponge cake(or whatever) under buttercream and fondant OR I CAN do an Angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries." Give her choices on what you can do and maybe the insanity will stop icon_biggrin.gif Perhaps she needs to hear it in another way.
Be sure to be clear about what she is getting ie in writing or it's likely to come back to haunt you.

tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 26

I think some of you misunderstood me. I did not take her cake order. I refused the order from the very first meeting because we couldnt come up with an alternative that suited her.

Because I DID NOT take the order. She keeps asking to change my mind and TAKE her order. Because no one else will do it either. She doesnt seem to get that she is beating a dead horse here. She is deperate for someone to do an angel food wedding cake, and refuses to believe that it cant be done, like she wants.

edited to add: i would like to be a size 6 again, without lipidema but some things just aint possible in reality. (maybe I should tell her that? icon_lol.gif )

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #9 of 26

Phew. I thought that you had taken her order and she was changing her mind. I bet her daughter doesn't even want those flavors.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #10 of 26

Stick to your guns girl! There are jut some MOB's that need tased on general principals, we have all delt with them. Yours is very tenacious though isn't she? Don't be yammered into something you will not be comfortable with. We are with you!!

cakesbycathy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #11 of 26

First - good for you for sticking to your guns! thumbs_up.gif

While I don't usually advocate using the "I'm already booked" line, in this case I think you might need to pull it out and use it now since she clearly doesn't get that you are not going to change your mind.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #12 of 26

The next time she asks about you doing the cake with Angel Food cake like she wants I would tell her the chances of you doing it are "Slim to None and Slim just left" If she persists tell her you refuse to have the conversation with her and do not answer. icon_twisted.gif
evelyn
I forgot to add another saying, tell her the idea is like windshield wipers on a goat's hiney, it just won't work.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #13 of 26

A lot of people I know think WASC tastes like an angel food cake only with more density. maybe that's what she wants. On second thought forget it. She wont' be happy with whatever you do. She has her own idea in her head and I just think she will be hard to satisfy (I can see the email complaint from her already). Never mind....

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #14 of 26

Tell her she is now harrassing you in the workplace. I bet a lot of people feel the same way about her and would back you up about how annoying/persistant/harrassing she can be. Even if she changed her mind, you wouldn't want her as a customer, so no loss if she pitches a fit.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #15 of 26

tell her that there are 2 chances you will do the cake, slim and fat...... ask her if she has noticed that each time she has asked, the answer has been no, and why does she think the answer will change, cuz it won't...

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #16 of 26

Why not take a small angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries to work and show her how it melts. Let it sit out for a few hours in a warm area. Might be more effective than just telling her. icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Why not take a small angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries to work and show her how it melts. Let it sit out for a few hours in a warm area. Might be more effective than just telling her. icon_biggrin.gif

what a brilliant idea !!! but if she asks me to do a regular cake for her.. I AM BOOKED THAT DAY !!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You guys had some good points, she wont be happy with anything. I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT TAKE THIS ORDER!!!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #18 of 26

Ok. What if you made a white cake with strawberries (or any other flavor), let her know about this idea, but make a seperate cake on the side for the bride and her mother to have for themselves.

If she says NO to this than I don't know what else you could offer her.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:39am
post #19 of 26

I'm sorry but some people you DO have to hit with a brick! icon_mad.gif

1) "Did you ask me this before? And what did I say?" (This is a cross-your-arms and look at them just like you look at a 5 year old who keeps asking for cookies over and over!)

2) "Why are you intent on RUINING your daughter's reception? Did she piss you off THAT much over something?"

3) "No, they're not booked. They're just not as polite as me and they WON'T tell you what a pain in the ass you are being."

4) "Ok, fine! I wil do the cake. It will cost you $50,000 because that's what my attorney will charge me when you decide to sue me because the cake collapsed, just like I'm telling you NOW that it will."

5) "Did I ever tell you about the other client who refused to take my advice and my answer of 'no'? She's dead now."

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:04am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

5) "Did I ever tell you about the other client who refused to take my advice and my answer of 'no'? She's dead now."

I vote for this answer.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:07am
post #21 of 26

Indydebi, I really think you lied to me about your sign. Your sarcastic intelligence is so like me the LEO it's crazy.

Tesso, why don't you shove a piece of your most lightest, moistest delicious cake, filling and icing in her mouth, that will shut her the hell up.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:41am
post #22 of 26

Oh my GOODNESS, I can't believe anyone's actually that dense! Also, who would want coolwhip on a wedding cake? The stuff's nasty and tastes like chemicals!. If she's going for a strawberries and cream taste, at least let it be real whipped cream. Not, of course, that either coolwhip or whipped cream would hold up outdoors in the summer on a hot day.

If she's desperate for angel food cake tell her to order a dummy cake (from someone else) and have plates of angel food cake with *shudder* coolwhip and strawberries kept in a cool room until served to the guests.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:44am
post #23 of 26

I thought of something else. Not only would an angel food cake deflate under layers of buttercream, fondant, and accents, but it would taste nasty. Does this woman not realise how sweet angel food cake is? How sweet buttercream is? How sweet fondant is? The thing would just taste like a globby mass of sugar with a few eggs thrown in.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:55am
post #24 of 26

"I dont care how bad her daughter wants a four tier stacked angel food cake... "

So, maybe her daughter is the one who keeps begging and pleading for this cake and, therefore, the co-worker keeps pleading w/ you to try to make her daughter's dream wedding cake (or nightmare cake?). I love carmijok's suggestion of taking a test cake w/ whipped cream and strawberries to work for demonstration of its magnificent melting capabilities. I really think this MOB, and the bride, need an education on why no one is jumping at the opportunity to do this cake. If the business is worth it to you, you could take a second test cake - a flavor and texture combo that would be very near to what the bride has requested, so that they can see how it held up and that it tastes delicious too. You would be doing them both a huge favor with this demonstration and would likely save the bride a whole lot of tears on her wedding day. Again... just depends on whether the business is worth it.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:12am
post #25 of 26

IndyDebi..... YOU CRACK ME UP! icon_smile.gif Love love love you! icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #26 of 26

Just go ahead and shoot her and get it over with thumbs_up.gif Just kidding icon_wink.gif

Tell her ONE LAST TIME that her request isn't possible and that it won't be possible tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, next week, next month or even next year. THEN shoot her icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%