I Have 7 Wedding Cakes In 3 Days! Help!!!

Business By supakiki Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 12:02am by jenmat

supakiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supakiki Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:51am
post #1 of 25

Can I do it? Will I get any sleep??? I'm scared! It's just me, one person cake shop out of my home. I have one wedding cake Thursday, 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. I've baked (with ONE oven!!), filled and frozen all my cakes. Now I need to make all the icing and fondant, even all the colors I need, and I need to make flowers and cake boards. Then I think I'll start to trim cakes and maybe ice them. Will they do okay in the freezer with a layer of buttercream with saran wrap? How far in advance can I fondant cakes? I really don't want to do it too soon. Maybe 2 days before?

Do you have any tips for me? Is this impossible? Who will come help me? icon_smile.gif Just kidding. Thanks so much!!!

24 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 25

okay.. can you stand up straight.. put your arms out to the side, palms facing the floor.. just ignore me.. I am measuring you for your straight jacket. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

are you crazy? Why would you do that to yourself? I only know two or three people on here who could pull that off and I dont think they are crazy enough to even try that many icon_lol.gif

Best of luck to you. I think you are going to need it and ALOT of organizational skills. good luck thumbs_up.gif and post pics when done.

you have some gorgeous cakes!! btw

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:08am
post #3 of 25

Do you have any cake buddies near by you can hire to help out. Or a college culinary school that would be able to send over a pastry student? Craigslist might be a good source to post for someone to help. Even if you just give them easy tasks like making BC, kneading/coloring fondant, hand holding, etc it would probably help a lot.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:21am
post #4 of 25

Get some help! Husband, friend, mother - anyone! As tinygoose says:
Kneading fondant, mixing frosting, geting you coffee and things you need + cheering you up icon_smile.gif

And take out a spread sheet or a paper and make a schedule - list all things you need to do - big and small. Estimate time for each activity and put them in a logical order. Then tick off as you go. And do it now so you know if you are in real trouble or you can pul it off

2 days with fondant should be ok as long as it's non-perishble fillings

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:02am
post #5 of 25

You may be crazy unless you have great stamina and great organizational skills. Do get someone to help with the simple things like washing dishes, kneading, putting stuff away you are done with, etc. Finding a space for all those will be a challenge. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:47am
post #6 of 25

I have done 5 cakes for one weekend and it was hectic but do-able
I baked on the Monday and froze the layers, then I did all the small things that could be done in advance, covering the boards, mixing colours if you need it, making the fillings and BC.
I levelled and filled the cakes on Wednessday and regrigirated them. Started taking them out on Thursday morning and covered them all with fondant. Friday I staked and decorated. Delivered on Saturday.
If you have a clear idea of what order you want to do what and also know what you can do in advance it wont be impossible. Draw up a timetable and stick to it!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 25

Relax, it can be done :0)
Organization & prep is the key. I use to do 14 in a weekend & while it is crazy & there is little to no sleep.. it is doable :0)
I set up an extra table in my dinnig room in order to organize my self & while preping I even organized my tools too so that I had stations (each station had the tools needed there, that way I didn't have to fuss about for them). If you have to, make a list for each cake with all the steps & tools/techniques you'll need for that cake.
A sample schedule for me:
Mon- shop for ingredients & cook meals for family for the week (placing in the freezer if need be).
Tue - prep everything that can be preped to include your "Mise en place".
( I would measure out all I needed for each recipe that could be done ahead of time.. didn't seperate eggs but put in bowl the number needed for that recipe.) Since you have one due on Thurs I'd bake that one here.
Wed- Bake
Thurs- Ice & decorate for Fri
Fri- Ice & decorate for Sat
*** Lastly be sure to set yourself up w/plenty of water & nibbles to sustain yourself. I would cut cheese & fruits up placing them on a plate in the fridge for me to grab & bite :0) I would also schedule breaks so that I could sit w/my feet up for a bit. Take care of yourself & you can do this :0)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 25

Depending on the sizes of the cakes it is doable as has been said.
Lots and lots of organization and prep
Good luck
Let us know as you go along how things are coming this will give you some much needed break time
And of course we must see pix of each as you finish it icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 25

I ONCE did 3 weddings and a grooms cake in 1 weekend. Notice I said ONCE?! =) I won't do more than 2 now.. especially if I want to keep my sanity.. and I do! icon_biggrin.gif Such great tips that were given! Good luck to you!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 25

Start TODAY getting every thing together ingredients & tools the small stuff will slow you down.

Do inventory and make sure you have everything, cover boards.

I'd prep pans wash, dry, and stack them so they were ready.

If you need to freeze cakes start baking today. Thats a lot to do in just a week.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 25

Oh man, no way, no how, I couldn't do it icon_surprised.gif

Good luck and hopefully you have scheduled yourself some down time when your finished so you can rest up. Yeah, I think it can be done, heck, I know it can.

Ditto on keeping nibbles handy to eat and lots of water to drink.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 25

Organize, prep and above all...get off the internet!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 25

Yup...get going now!!! Get your boards covered and icing made and put in the fridge..Get your fondant colored and wrapped and stored...Do all the advance work now...You can start assembling and crumbcoating 3-4 days ahead...It can be done but time management is key!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 25

Honestly, I wouldn't even try that.

But first, BUY the flowers. Order them today www.avalondeco.com. David will have them to you by Thursday at the latest.

Second BUY cake boards. You're making enough on this order.

Third, BUY the fondant. Just go to your local cake shop (hopefully you have one) and buy whatever colors you need.

And get back for kitchen cleaning.

And be prepared to not sleep. Seriously.

cyncamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyncamp Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 25

I can't even imagine! 7 wedding cakes in 3 days? I'd be divorced before it was all said & done! My husband hates when i have more than 2 per weekend - and those are just birthdays and such. Wedding cakes are so stressful. So good luck to you & keep your head! Then when you've finished, promise your family that you'll never do that again!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 25

It's also important to remember that not only should you not overbook for your own sanity's sake. But you shouldn't overbook for the customers' sake as well. Like it or not, those cakes will suffer in some way because you cannot give each the attention it deserves. This will affect the end product you are presenting as your work...and...providing to these folks on their special day.

Killing yourself because you can't say 'no'. or because you don't want to turn down the $$ will only backfire on you in the end, as I suspect you're beginning to see..

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 25

Wow, that sure is a lot of cakes. Post pictures when you're done so we can know how you did it.

BoLeggs79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoLeggs79 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 25

I am sure you are a professional baker and you can DO THIS!!!!! Enlist little help from family and you can make this happen. Just think when you pull this off, you can sit back relax and count your big bucks!!!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 25

Wow better you than me icon_smile.gif I like to do just one, I take two, and have one weekend with three this year but 7???? No sir.

Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #20 of 25

Just a little side question, how many freezers/fridges do you have? I only take 2-3 because that is all I can do with the space I have.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 25

I agree with Leah_S on this one. If you buy your cake boards, flowers, and fondant now, the amount of time and energy you will save will be invaluable to you in the end. That and get a friend to come over. Whenever I have a huge order my friend Dena comes and keeps me company. She doesn't help decorate but she is a master coffee maker, hand holder, hysteria calmer and meal maker. If you don't have to stop to do those things, you just might make it. And if your fillings are temperature stable and do not need to be refrigerated you could crumb coat and fondant the thursday cake on tuesday, the friday cakes on wednesday, and the saturday cakes on thursday, which should give you enough time to get down to decorating. Good luck and get going!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #22 of 25

I've done that before...I have 6 coming up in two days this coming weeekend, actually. It can be done, but the first thing you need to do is turn off the computer and get back into the kitchen.

Sterretje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sterretje Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #23 of 25

Don't worry, just stay calm. I'm sure you'll be fine. I just finished 7 cakes these last couple of days. No wedding cakes, but all with al lot of 3d figurines, and specific designs requested, so quite some work still. I stayed up late a couple of nights and just worried about my cakes, nothing else. I made it with an hour to spare on each cake, so I'm sure so can you.
I never freeze my cakes in advance, so I don't have any experience in that. I found that measuring ingredients and colouring fondants in advance helped. Also I had the idea of each cake in my head. If you cover it well with some foil or something, you can easily prepare flowers and decoration some days ahead. I wouldn't suggest that with things you still need to bend and style around the cake, like lines or so.
To make perfectly thin rolled out pieces or even lines, I found out my pasta machine works a lot faster than say the ribbon cutter.
Flowers I keep on a sponge (just your ordinary bath sponge), covered with foil or like a plastic bag. Fondant coloured, is even nicer a few days later. But keep it well wrapped.
I use one day for baking, cutting, filling and icing (with buttercream) than refrigerate them over night. I try to cover as many of the cakes when I can, so I only need to finish the decoration. than I just work on them one by one from that point on. I keep the decorations and fondant for each cake in a separate area. That way I don't mix up cakes or decorations and it also gives a nice overview of things still need to be done. Find a nice cool and dark place in your house where you can safely store the cakes.
Finally, I feel that thinking in steps rather than the whole alarming picture, helps a lot.
Don't worry, just concentrate. You'll be fine. And don't worry, a little nervs never hurt a cake icon_biggrin.gif

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #24 of 25

I have done 3 with a couple of grooms cake before on a weekend. I use to do it years ago on a regular basis. Not anymore. I was losing my passion for the art. It was time to say NO. I am really enjoying my cakes again and the fine details. You lose some of that, when you do that many cakes.

I guess I am trying to say " Can you say burnout", but good luck with them anyway icon_cry.gif

I love the poster who said I am fitting you for a straight jacket. That was too funny!!!!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #25 of 25

i just finished 4 and about 10 celebrations. It all depends on how complicated the wedding cakes are. If they're simple, or some of them are simple, it is totally do-able. My 4 were super hard, so I just squeaked by. Next week it is 5, but they are altogether less difficult than one of my 4.
To do lists and pre-packing for deliveries will be your only saving grace!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%