Indydebi Icing Not Crusting

Baking By Skidoochic Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm by kimmy37

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 9

I can't get the search feature to work (Error 404????), so has anyone ever had a problem with Indydebi frosting not crusting? It has been one hour so far and it has not crusted. I turned the air down in the house from 74 to 69 (it's freezing)- what am I doing wrong???

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 9

Was your cake frozen?

Skidoochic Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, I assume that is the problem, huh?? icon_sad.gif

If I let it thaw though, I can't handle the cake. I tried using pudding this time to make the cakes denser, but it just made them heavier. My 12" round weighs 23.7 lbs!!! I put it on the scale! That is why I am amazed when people put cakes on a single board. I have to use 4 or more. What am I doing wrong there?

Thanks for the help BTW! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 9

I never freeze but from what I understand when you do, and ice your cake while frozen or when it is extremely cold it can slow the crusting time down. You will have to let your cake come to room time and then it should crust.

Skidoochic Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks TexasSugar. icon_smile.gif

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

As the cake thaws it leaves moisture on the surface so the icing is getting that moisture and that is why it isnt crusting. Once it thaws it should crust.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

As the cake thaws it leaves moisture on the surface so the icing is getting that moisture and that is why it isnt crusting. Once it thaws it should crust.

The moisture is not coming from the cake, getting into the frosting. The moisture is coming from the air. The frosting is actually protecting the cake from getting wet...

Science lesson: (This lesson seems to be my mission in life and I may just have to make this my signature until everyone has seen it. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Cakes do not sweat. The moisture you see is not coming from the cake...or the fridge/freezer or thawing process. It is coming from the humidity in the warm air outside of your fridge, condensing on your cold cake when you take it out.

Water takes different forms depending on its temperature, from steam/humidity at the warm end, liquid in the middle range to solid/ice at the cold end.

When the humidity (warm/gas) in the air in your room hits the cool of your cake/frosting, the temperature changes the gas to a liquid which accumulates on the cool cake surface. Or if you frost a frozen cake, the cake chills the frosting making it the cool surface that turns the air's humidity into water, making it damp on the outer surface, unable to crust.

So, the cure for this problem is to prevent the humid air from getting to your cake/frosting when you take it out of the fridge. If the cake is in a box when you take it out, the humid/warm/gas cannot reach the cool surface of the cake. It will hit the outside of the cool box and condense there, leaving your cake surface perfectly dry. The cake will be safe as it comes to room temp.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 9

Yep the frozen cake is your problem. Since her icing is 2:1 sugar to fat ratio it actually crust really fast. I never refrigerate a cake after icing either. I did that once and it took FOREVER for the icing to crust.

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 9

This happens to me all the time.... the quickest way to get it to crust is to lay paper towel on it and "blot" away the moisture.... you might have to do it a few times, and some of your icing might stick to your towel, but you can smooth it after it crusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%