Gluten Free Cake Mix & Adding Pudding??

Baking By multilayered Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 2:33am by foxymomma521

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a gluten free cake this weekend and I was using the box mix. Usually when I make box mixes I at least add a box of dry pudding for extra moisture and taste and I was intending to do this with my gluten free cake as well. I was just curious since the gluten free mix has extra additives for "thickening" would adding a box pudding mix to the batter cause it to be to dense or gummy?? What do you think?? TIA

14 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 15

Is instant pudding gluten free?!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 15

I was told by someone just this week the instant pudding is fine as long as it is made in the US. One of the components, if made outside the US, contains wheat starches. It must be regulated here in the states.

Info came from a mother of a child with Celiacs.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 15

I'd double check the ingredients on the box of pudding to make sure it's gluten free and I'd do a test with it first to see if it works - gluten free baking is so different in it's chemistry to baking with wheat flours...it's hard to say what it would do to the texture without trying it. Hopefully someone will chime in who has tried it before!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 15
korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 15

Are you using the DH gluten free mix? Have you tried it before?
I've used it (doctored with pudding and GF yogurt) and it turns out weird.
It is very buttery and the bottom of my cupcake liners got very greasy and it was very heavy and corn meal like in texture.

Also, 1 box of mix makes 1 8"/9" layer or 1 dozen cupcakes. I had to buy 2 boxes and got about 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes.

With all that said, the birthday boy and his mom *loved* them! They were just happy to have someone make and decorate cupcakes for his birthday just like everyone else has.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Are you using the DH gluten free mix? Have you tried it before?
I've used it (doctored with pudding and GF yogurt) and it turns out weird.
It is very buttery and the bottom of my cupcake liners got very greasy and it was very heavy and corn meal like in texture.

Also, 1 box of mix makes 1 8"/9" layer or 1 dozen cupcakes. I had to buy 2 boxes and got about 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes.

With all that said, the birthday boy and his mom *loved* them! They were just happy to have someone make and decorate cupcakes for his birthday just like everyone else has.

Yes it's the DH brand, so do you recommend I add the pudding?? And I know I had to buy 3 boxes for a thin 9x13!! And they are expensive!!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 15

Try this - it worked for a friend of mine.

Use the DH GF mix and use the WASC method except use rice flour. Make your cake release with the rice flour also.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 15

multilayered...how did your cake turn out? And did you use the pudding or no? I have a request for a gluten free cake, and I wanted to see how yours did?! icon_wink.gif

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #10 of 15

greengyrl26 i found a recipe on this site that might be worth trying. I am newly dignosed as gluten, dairy, nickel and amine intolerant so I have started searching for recipe ideas.

http://aglutenfreeguide.com/celebrate-love-with-a-gluten-free-cupcake.html

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:48am
post #11 of 15

Jello brand is GF. I use pamela's products gf cake mix with the sour cream variation listed on the side of the packate. I also add pudding and an extra egg and it comes out very dense and moist. It's my mom's favorite cake, and she doesn't have to eat GFree. (Many other members of my family are gluten intolerant)

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:48am
post #12 of 15

thumbsdown.gif
sorry
double post

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #13 of 15

I haven't tried it with pudding, but I can say it's delicious. It does take longer to bake than a regular cake does; it's easy to leave the middle too undercooked. If you try the pudding, please let us know how it tastes and if it affects your baking time.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:04am
post #14 of 15

Thanks foxymomma! Where can I find Pamela's gf cake mix? Would they have it at Kroger, Meijer or Walmart?

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #15 of 15

I get mine on Amazon, and I'm sorry but we don't have the same grocery stores here! (except walmart and I've never seen it there)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZH19K/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%