Pricing Question

Decorating By lorascreationz Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:19am by cylstrial

lorascreationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 18

Hi guys, I am doing a cake here in about a month, it is a 3d half pipe with a guys skating..now when I use the matrix, I put in 2 9x13 cakes and all the stuff i can think of and it came up with a price of 134.75..does that sound about right..here is the thing...I like alot of homebakers started off the wrong way, and I have finally have gotten to the point where it isnt fun breaking even or going in the negative to get business...I would rather not do it them then..so I finally said enough and i want to make sure that I am pricing myself right...what do you all charge for labor per hour?thanks

17 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 18

Are you making the skaters? Is the cake covered in fondant or buttercream? I am with you with the undercharging. I have got to start getting better about sticking to my prices.

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 18

yes i will be making the figures out of gumpaste, and the client doesnt like fondant, so I will be using buttercream and also doing some colorflow..guess I forgot to mention that..

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 18

It sounds like a good price to me, but I always undercharge because I underestimate the time it will take to make. I can't wait to see what other people will say.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorascreationz

when I use the matrix, I put in 2 9x13 cakes and all the stuff i can think of and it came up with a price of 134.75

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the matrix? Is this software you purchased or is there a online tool?

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 18

no ignorance....somewhere in the forum you can download a great pricing matrix...I believe it is under Alice's Matrix...it is a little confusing at first but it is excellent when you figure it out...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 18

I've made skateboarders, they took me a while. Personally I'd up the price myself. icon_smile.gif

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 18

no ignorance....somewhere in the forum you can download a great pricing matrix...I believe it is under Alice's Matrix...it is a little confusing at first but it is excellent when you figure it out...

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 18

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 18

Sounds like carving is involved? Because of the extra time and wasted cake, people usually charge extra for that, as well as extra per figure.
xx

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 18

I am not sure why my posted so many times, so honestly do you think I am cutting myself short? or is the price of 134.00 sound ok? I am charging for both cakes..and I am charging 5 hours of labor at 10.00 hour...is that too cheap I really dont know where to begin with labor charges..

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 18

You are going to bake, cool, crave, ice and make gumpaste people, color flow pieces and all in under 5 hours? How long are you figuring for making the gumpaste people? Have you made them before?

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 18

I know 5 hours isnt enough time, I went and changed to 8 hours..but I have done lots of sculpting I have been working with clay for about 12 yrs so when I began to use fondant and gumpaste it was pretty easy for me, thank goodness...i am pretty sure it will be around hour give or take. what do you think?? with changing the hours to 8 it is now 160ish...that is more like it I think. I dont feel I am shorting myself really and I know it isnt going to take me 8 hours to create this cake, well ok that is if I run into no hiccups...LOL

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 18

$160 sounds alot better to me.

lorascreationz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 18

Thx so much texas sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOTNEYBOO1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BOOTNEYBOO1 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:56pm
post #16 of 18

Can someone tell me where I can find the pricing matrix?

BOOTNEYBOO1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BOOTNEYBOO1 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #17 of 18

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTNEYBOO1

It's in the Business forum at the top of the page. (It's always there because it's a permanent file called a sticky).

Anyway, personally - I think the matric is way too hard to understand and not accurate at all. Check it out and see what you think.

But that's just my two cents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%