Cake Mix Really Made A Difference With Doctored Mix

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm by MariaK38

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #31 of 37

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

The butter recipe dh, didn't turn out good at all, as I said it sunk in the middle, and the shrinking was annoying. So by far, my favorite mix with the doctored mix using a box of pudding, sourcream, is the western family.

If you had used a "butter recipe" WF cake mix the results would have been the same as the "butter recipe" DH cake mix icon_confused.gif

For an accurate comparison you should compare the SAME type of mix. DH white cake mix to WF white cake mix. It's been said in this thread from the beginning, it's the "butter recipe" NOT the brand of mix that caused the problems that you had with your cake.
If you had made a DH white cake mix and compared it to WF "butter recipe" cake mix you'd be saying the "WF cake mix is the one that "didn't turn out good at all" icon_confused.gif

Believe me I understand that, I was just saying that I had the chance within the last few days to compare 3 different mixes with the same doctored recipe. I know that I wasn't comparing the butter recipe in all mixes, just letting everyone know that the butter recipe didn't work for me. The betty crocker (non butter) recipe turned out good, but the western family (non butter) turned out the best for me, I was just stating what I had done, and I know that I wasn't comparing butter recipe mixes in all cases, and its not an acurate comparrison. I'm sure you are right that if I had used the butter recipe mixes my results would have been different, I don't know I only tried the dh butter cake mix.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #32 of 37

mamawrobin, will your doctored mix recipe work well for cupcakes, too? I know the taste and texture will be the same... I always get nervous about the cupcake wrappers coming off with the extra fat in the recipe.

Thanks! Maria

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #33 of 37

Betty. Crocker. Period.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #34 of 37

I don't have a favorite box mix recipe. I use whatever I can get my hands on. icon_smile.gif I'm also not good with directions either, I always seem to want to fiddle with it. I gotta learn to leave it alone sometimes.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

mamawrobin, will your doctored mix recipe work well for cupcakes, too? I know the taste and texture will be the same... I always get nervous about the cupcake wrappers coming off with the extra fat in the recipe.

Thanks! Maria

I make cupcakes with the extra batter whenever I bake. I don't have any issues with the cupcake wrappers coming off of mine. However, I usually use the plain white cupcake liners by Wilton...the other day I baked 12 cupcakes with some left over batter in some decorative liners and I did notice that some of them "pulled away" from the cupcake. Made me wonder it the liner isn't sometimes the problem with this icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #36 of 37

I'm new at baking but what I've noticed with my boxed cakes, it being with DH or BC mixes is that you need to bake them at 325 opposed to 350. this makes a huge difference in the cake. it doesn't separate nor rise in the middle. And it also gives you a very moist cake.icon_smile.gif

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #37 of 37

thanks, mamawrobin! I'm going to experiment this weekend with your recipe and one I found that has an envelope of dream whip in it and see which my family likes better.
I'm doing my first big cupcake order (200) for a wedding in October, and I want to have all of my recipes for what I'm doing in order before then. Lotsa cupcakes for us!
Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%