Cake Mix Really Made A Difference With Doctored Mix

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm by MariaK38

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 37

I used duncan hines cake mix with the durable doctored cake recipe, adding sour cream, pudding to the mix. This what I noticed. The cakes, 4 of them, sunk in the middle, pulled away from the sides of the pan terribly, seemed lighter in weight. I had more cakes to bake today, so I used betty crocker, totally different. The cakes rose nice, did not pull away from the pan, were heavier, and flat across the tops of the cakes.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It drives me crazy when cakes pull away from the pan and sink in the middle, so these are going to trouble when I start stacking cakes, I'll have to trim away so much on the top and sides, because the cakes won't line up on the sides too. I never buy duncan hines, now I wish I hadn't.
The other difference was dh was butter recipe, bc was just a yellow cake with oil, could that have effected the cakes too.

36 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 37

I always use Duncan Hines and never have this problem.
I would imagine that the problem was the butter recipe NOT the Duncan Hines mix.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 37

Heck, I'm pretty much a "straight from the box" mix baker and the butter-recipe mixes always turn out like crap for me!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 37

I love DH mixes and only use that brand, but I absolutely hate the butter one. I could not get mine to ever bake like the other ones. I would stick with their yellow over the butter one.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 37

I too have much better cakes with Betty Crocker mixes as opposed to Duncan Hines. I only use Betty Crocker now since none of the Duncan Hines cakes I did turned out well. I found the same thing, alot of shrinkage and the sinking in the middle and seemed to be more crumbly.

kpry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpry Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 37

I had always used DH, but when I doctor a cake mix I use any other kind - even the store brand. DH always breaks for me.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 37

i've had DH butter cakes sink in the center a couple times. i primarily use DH, but have learned to not use the butter ones. otherwise it's smooth sailing for me straight out of the box.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 37

I mostly use DH, more batter, but no matter what brand mix I use, I do use the same recipe for a doctored mix, 1 mix, 1 sm pudding, 1 c.SC, 1/3 c. oil, 1 c. liquid. The only time it didn't turn out great was when I added wrong amounts...tired.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 37

Somewhere on the DH website its mentioned the butter recipe mixes won't always work if altering the ingredients called for on the box.
I only use DH if making the extended cake but use the regular mixes not butter. I found the regular mixes baked up the best for me.
I use self-rising cake & pastry flour & superfine sugar, not AP flour & regular sugar when making the extended cakes though.
A tip I received from a fellow caker thats done me very well. thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

The other difference was dh was butter recipe, bc was just a yellow cake with oil, could that have effected the cakes too.

Think you found your problem in that one sentence------------....dh was butter recipe..............

You just can't make the butter recipe mixes with oil-- extended, doctored, or otherwise.

I use DH all of the time for WASC. I add a box of instant pudding for each box of mix. I put at least one flower nail in any cake, 8" or larger. As long as I don't open the oven door frequently, or jiggle the batter by pulling on the rack too soon, I don't have any problems. And I agree, I definitely get more batter using DH than BC or Pillsbury.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #11 of 37

For over 30 yrs I have used Betty - especially for my original WASC recipe.
Yes, I have from time to time used DH and Pillsbury - say if a certain flavor wasn't available or the price was much better but I always end up going right back to good ole' Betty L)

cathyscakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #12 of 37

Thanks everyone, I guess it was just the dh butter recipe mix, now I know, thanks again.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 37

I bought the DH butter cake mix and then returned it. The directions say to mix it for 4 minutes. The only other time I beat the mix for 4 minutes on a doctored cake mix recipe I had a completely fallen cake. I got the recipe off a website, not from here. The minute I read 4 minutes, that little voice in my head starting saying no, no. But it was my first time making a doctored mix, so I followed the directions. And sure enough, the cake fell. I knew immediately it was not the fact that I doctored the mix, but that I mixed it too long.

I was going to try the DH butter cake mix and only mix it 2 minutes, but I was crunched for time and couldn't take the time to experiment. I just went and bought one of the non-butter cake mixes and used that instead.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm
post #14 of 37

I've always used betty crocker. Never had an issue, so why try the other brands?

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I've always used betty crocker. Never had an issue, so why try the other brands?

Well, we all use what we like for different reasons, I suppose.

I prefer DH because:

For me, it yields more batter.

I can "customize" the flavor of pudding that I add to it--BC (and I think, Pillsbury) already has pudding in the mix.

I love to make DH White cake w/ white chocolate instant pudding, DH lemon w/ lemon pudding, DH chocolate w/ chocolate turtle pudding--a limited edition Xmas release, DH yellow w/ pumpkin pudding--comes our around Thanksgiving, DH white w/ pistachio pudding, etc.

Variety is the spice of life!
Rae

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Well, we all use what we like for different reasons, I suppose.

I prefer DH because:

For me, it yields more batter.

I can "customize" the flavor of pudding that I add to it--BC (and I think, Pillsbury) already has pudding in the mix.

I love to make DH White cake w/ white chocolate instant pudding, DH lemon w/ lemon pudding, DH chocolate w/ chocolate turtle pudding--a limited edition Xmas release, DH yellow w/ pumpkin pudding--comes our around Thanksgiving, DH white w/ pistachio pudding, etc.

Variety is the spice of life!
Rae

Going to have to try some of these flavor combos. I still add pudding into the ones that say they have pudding. I use DH mostly though.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 37

I have been looking for lemon instant pudding? What brand is it Rae & where did you get it? Thanks.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 37

It's the Jell-O brand instant lemon pudding mix.

I find it routinely at WalMart SuperCenters--sometimes at regular WalMarts, and less frequently at my local grocery store

This buy at Amazon isn't too bad--I pay about .89/box when it's not on sale. I don't know if the free shipping extends to Hawaii--------I hope so!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1BLOO/?tag=cakecentral-20

Rae

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I prefer DH because:

For me, it yields more batter
Rae

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #20 of 37

Have to agree, has nothing to do with it being Duncan Hines. Butter recipes with a mix are crap any way you bake it icon_smile.gif

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 37

I don't have a recipe for a doctored mix is anyone willing to share?? icon_wink.gif

LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIATAMIA

I don't have a recipe for a doctored mix is anyone willing to share?? icon_wink.gif

Mine is a small box of pudding mix, 8 oz of sour cream, 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup water, and 1/3 cup oil just mixed into 1 boxed cake mix.

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #23 of 37

Thank you LisaMarie86...can't wait to try it out thumbs_up.gif

LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:56pm
post #24 of 37

works wonders for me!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

Quote:

Mine is a small box of pudding mix, 8 oz of sour cream, 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup water, and 1/3 cup oil just mixed into 1 boxed cake mix.

I use that one too, usually. Here's the link to it in the recipe section:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

It makes a thick batter, so don't be surprised when you first make it. If I flavor it, I add the flavoring to the water.

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:

1 white cake mix (can use any flavor)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half and half or milk
1/2 cup water
3 eggs or 4 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together set aside. Put sour cream, eggs, milk, water and vanilla in bowl and add half the ingredients. Mix until blended, add remaining dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.

Bake at 325 until done. This is enough batter for four 6" pans, two 8" pans or one 12" pan. I use Duncan Hines mix and it does produce about 1 1/2 cups more batter than BC or PB so the batter amounts will vary if you use don't use Duncan Hines.

This is pretty much kakeladi's WASC recipe but it is the BEST cake ever thumbs_up.gif I've also added 6 ounces of melted Baker's White Chocolate squares to the batter and it's awesome.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #27 of 37

Thank you Rae.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #28 of 37

Here's another version of the recipe that works well for me using Duncan Hines mixes. I use all flavors of cake mix and I vary extracts accordingly. It's pretty much the only recipe that I use. It halves beautifully:

Ingredients:
2 boxes DH cake mix--any flavor
2 boxes instant pudding mix--flavor to compliment cake flavor
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites (for white cake only) or 6 eggs for other flavors
(I use large or exta large eggs)
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
4 teaspoons of the flavoring extract(s) of your choice
OR
For white almond cake:
2 teaspoons of clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract
Instructions
Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees. For cakes 8" and up, place at least 1 flower nail in the center or use the Wilton heating core. For cakes larger than 12" round or square, I place several flower nails, evenly spaced in the batter.

***One recipe makes: one 14 round + one 6 round
or one 16 round
or one 12 round + one 10 round
or one 12~18 sheet cake
or one 12 round + one 8 round + one 6

Half a recipe makes: two 8 rounds
or two 6 rounds + 6 cupcakes

Here's the link to the CC recipe post:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

Rae

cathyscakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:09am
post #29 of 37

I just tried the doctored recipe with a western family cake mix, turned out beautiful. Had extra cake so we ate it tonight. The texture and flavor were really good. I have noticed that each cake mix has a different look to it. I know the bc mix turned out good, haven't tasted it yet, they are in the freezer for an upcoming wedding cake. The western family looked and tasted really good. It had a softer crumb, lighter, my favorite looking cake so far, and its the cheapest mix of them all. The butter recipe dh, didn't turn out good at all, as I said it sunk in the middle, and the shrinking was annoying. So by far, my favorite mix with the doctored mix using a box of pudding, sourcream, is the western family. I wish I had used it from the start, i'm dreading putting the wedding cake together with the other cakes that had issues, will have to do alot of leveling, I hate wasting cake.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:47am
post #30 of 37

[quote="cathyscakes"] The butter recipe dh, didn't turn out good at all, as I said it sunk in the middle, and the shrinking was annoying. So by far, my favorite mix with the doctored mix using a box of pudding, sourcream, is the western family.

If you had used a "butter recipe" WF cake mix the results would have been the same as the "butter recipe" DH cake mix icon_confused.gif

For an accurate comparison you should compare the SAME type of mix. DH white cake mix to WF white cake mix. It's been said in this thread from the beginning, it's the "butter recipe" NOT the brand of mix that caused the problems that you had with your cake.
If you had made a DH white cake mix and compared it to WF "butter recipe" cake mix you'd be saying the "WF cake mix is the one that "didn't turn out good at all" icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%