Cherry Pie Filling As A Cake Filling

Baking By mykidscakemaker Updated 17 Dec 2017 , 7:05pm by JamiJ1225

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 10

My sister has asked me to make her husband a chocolate cake with cherry pie filling as the filling.

I'm concerned about the amount of moisture. No one likes a mushy cake! And my chocolate cake is already pretty moist! So, my question is, should I sandwich the filling in between buttercream?? The cake is being covered in fondant.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

9 replies
windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

I've used cherry pie filling successfully in chocolate cake; I place a very thin layer of bc just to coat the cake layers, so the filling doesn't soak in.

Also, I've found it necessary to use a VERY strong bc damn to keep the filling from oozing and causing bulges in the fondant.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 10

If you're worried about soggy, in the Cake Mix doctor book she actually puts the can of cherry filling directly in the cake and it's one of my favorites. Recipe is 1 devil foods cake mix, 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling 2 large eggs and 1 tsp almond extract.

I LOVE this cake. I've made it with whipping cream for frosting, almond butter cream or even a white chocolate mouse as filling.

I am a HUGE black forest fan and this is my "knock off" version of it. Good luck with your cake.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

If you're worried about soggy, in the Cake Mix doctor book she actually puts the can of cherry filling directly in the cake and it's one of my favorites. Recipe is 1 devil foods cake mix, 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling 2 large eggs and 1 tsp almond extract.

I LOVE this cake. I've made it with whipping cream for frosting, almond butter cream or even a white chocolate mouse as filling.

I am a HUGE black forest fan and this is my "knock off" version of it. Good luck with your cake.

sillywabblitz, that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. I've often just used the filling in between the layers, making sure I had a good dam to keep the filling in. Works really well. thumbs_up.gif

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Is this in addtion to what the recipe calls for? the eggs and extract?
sounds YUMMY

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 10

Nope that is the entire recipe..no water ...no oil ..shocking I know but fabulous.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #7 of 10

Oh my gosh this sounds great!!!!!!! I have to try this!

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 10

In hopes that someone sees this 7 years later, Sillywabbitz, how long do you bake your cake?  I am doing two 9 inch rounds.  Trying tonight!

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 17 Dec 2017 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 10
JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 17 Dec 2017 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks! I made it Friday with white cake mix and it was awesome. Very moist. Nom nom :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%