Cake Boss (The Show) I Hate To Be A Downer But......

Lounge By multilayered Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm by LindaF144a

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 95

is anyone else just not that impressed with his work?? I mean he is OK and has a huge team and thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but do you really find that his aesthetic to be that phenomenal that it merits his own show?? Now "Ultimate Wedding Cakes" has some AMAZING artists that I could only wish one day to be on par with, but as for Buddy I'm just not that impressed...sorry. JMHO......Feel free to flame me nowicon_smile.gif

Also it doesn't help that every time I hear him pronounce "fondant" it makes my skin crawl lol

94 replies
bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 95

Well I disagree. I love his bakery and his cakes. I learn alot from his show. I think his talent is great.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 95

I disagree, too. When he gets away from the drama and you see what he really does, he is an amazing decorator. My personal opinion is that he could be one of the best decorators on TV right now. Lately, they have been doing so many over the top showpiece cakes that it's hard to see his real talent. Have you seen the very first (I think) episode where he did black piping on white cakes? Those cakes were stunning.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 95

I love their cakes too - they have done some amazing cakes!

My only question is how can they use that steamer on the fondant and modelling chocolate - I thought that doing this would make the fondant or MC droop and fall off the cake......

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 95

I disagree as well, although you are certainly entitled to feel as you do. I think that Buddy and his crew are great artists. I have learned a lot and been inspired. I think he is much better than the crew on Ace of Cakes as well. The only downside to those shows is that they give potential customers the illusion that these cakes are quick and effortless. Most of us don't have the same tools and equipment as these guys let alone an entire crew to help with all the different parts. I also wish they would say on the shows how much they actually charge for these elaborate cakes so viewers can understand that this kind of work doesn't come cheap!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 95

While I think his talent and team are amazing I can't stand his temperment. What he thinks is funny is just plain mean. More and more I mute the tv whenever they are not directly working on a cake. All that side business is usually mean spirited tricks or yelling, not interested in either. And yes, the way he says fondant cracks me up...not as much as how he says Disney, but it's still funny!

Addie2580 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addie2580 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 95

I agree that he is very talented, his work is nice and all. But I also have to agree with multilayered, I've seen better work than his, just take a look arround here in CC.

multilayered Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I disagree, too. When he gets away from the drama and you see what he really does, he is an amazing decorator. My personal opinion is that he could be one of the best decorators on TV right now. Lately, they have been doing so many over the top showpiece cakes that it's hard to see his real talent. Have you seen the very first (I think) episode where he did black piping on white cakes? Those cakes were stunning.

True...in the beginning he had done some nice work..it just seems now things they do are just so over the top and seems like half the cakes are a make more of PVC piping then cake.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 95

I think he does great work, and I especially like that it seems most of his cakes are, in fact, CAKE. However, I could do without all the yelling that goes on.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 95

I like his show also. I learn a lot from him. Way more than I ever learned from Ace of Cakes. I've stopped watching Ace of Cakes. It doesn't impress me much anymore.

multilayered Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

While I think his talent and team are amazing I can't stand his temperment. What he thinks is funny is just plain mean. More and more I mute the tv whenever they are not directly working on a cake. All that side business is usually mean spirited tricks or yelling, not interested in either. And yes, the way he says fondant cracks me up...not as much as how he says Disney, but it's still funny!

That's the other thing to..not to sound mean but I want to see cakes, I don't really care about all of his family dynamic. If I wanted to see all the back biting and drama I would watch a soap opera, not a "cake decorating" show.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 95

Agree with catlharper & mulilayered...watched a few episodes then stopped. Too few cakes...too much drama (and staging).

Edited to add: Buddy posted on CC a while back about his experiences on Cake Challenge. He sounded like a very, very nice guy. Real and down-to-earth. I'm just not interested in that kind of cake show.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 95

For what it's worth I think he's a great decorator but the show itself is just too drama filled for me. I want to watch him make cake not argue back & forth with his witches of sisters (Mary to be specific) & play stupid practical jokes on the staff. I refuse to believe he needs to be so mean to get those cakes done. I watch all the other cake shows & they do not act like he does. He's a little jerk but hopefully it's all show for the cameras. If I worked for him he'd find his butt stuff in the nearest Hobart on speed 2 talking the way he does. LOL! That's just my opinion though.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 95

I had to stop watching it because all of the loud talk, yelling and such stressed me out. At the end of a show I'd be upsetand tense.

I enjoy the cakes but not all the battles.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 95

I liked watching the show for techniques but I can't take all the yelling plus it seems so staged. I recently decided I'll never watch again when I saw he had Snooki from the "Jersey Shore" show on an episode.

I agree with the other post too...the show just makes me tense.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat-a-cakes

I disagree as well, although you are certainly entitled to feel as you do. I think that Buddy and his crew are great artists. I have learned a lot and been inspired. I think he is much better than the crew on Ace of Cakes as well. The only downside to those shows is that they give potential customers the illusion that these cakes are quick and effortless. Most of us don't have the same tools and equipment as these guys let alone an entire crew to help with all the different parts. I also wish they would say on the shows how much they actually charge for these elaborate cakes so viewers can understand that this kind of work doesn't come cheap!

concur.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 95

I am blown away by his wonderful wedding cakes - really stunning and his bakery appears filled with treats that I actually want to eat.... if only I weren't 3000 miles away. His 3D stuff is fun, but yes, there are lots of others who do that better but I can't help it I LOVE da guy! Must be the way he talks about his love for his family.... also the flowers he has done on wedding cakes are perfection! As for his "funny" accent - got news for ya folks, we all got one.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 95

I think he and his team produce beautiful, interesting pieces. I think he merits his own show as much as a couple with 8 kids(okay, so 6 of 'em happen to have the same birthday...big deal...my mother raised 8 kids BY HERSELF...worked 2 and 3 jobs to do it too...she needs a show(she'd shoot me for suggesting that!)) or a little couple with a normal size baby(not to put down the show, but big deal...we all have to adapt to things in life), or wait....Martha Stewart (while I do like the show on occasion...I know quite a few people who are way more crafty than she and do all the work by themselves) oh oh...Sandra Lee (again, I like the show but please...the recipes can be found on most of the labels of the stuff she uses...I like the color schemes/themes)

I wonder if others were approached about doing a show but couldn't/wouldn't due to stress/interruptions in work/whatever...

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:33pm
post #19 of 95

Funny, I was just thinking as I watched the premiere the other night how much I liked them! Yes, the drama can be a little excessive, but there are some serious skills going on there. I mean, he decorated a cake BLINDFOLDED! icon_lol.gif And everything in their shop looks so yummy! It looks like they really produce quality product and are proud of it. They are a huge, loud family! If it was me and my family I don't think we would get ANY work done icon_biggrin.gif I do agree that they really should go into how long it takes to create these works of art and how much they REALLY COST...

Has anyone on here been there? I am curious to know if their stuff IS as good as it looks? I wish I could go for a taste test icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #20 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

True...in the beginning he had done some nice work..it just seems now things they do are just so over the top and seems like half the cakes are a make more of PVC piping then cake.

I like a cake to look like a cake. Not to take away from the talent involved, but a cake that looks like a building, or a car or a helicopter or a what-have-you made on PVC and styrofoam doesn't make me think "I can't wait to have cake". I don't care for Ultimate Cake Off for that reason (but I still watch icon_wink.gif ). The cakes are so over the top that they lose their "cakeness".

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #21 of 95

I like the show but he is definitely rough around the edges and tempermental. He's Italian and from New Jersey. No offense fellow CCers. I was from Jersey too and also Italian! Course I wonder how much is put on for the camera.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #22 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Has anyone on here been there? I am curious to know if their stuff IS as good as it looks? I wish I could go for a taste test icon_smile.gif

I have. His pastries are absolutely as good as they look. Seriously good, real old fashioned Italian pastries.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #23 of 95

I think Buddy and his team are amazing cake artists but I have stopped watching due to the drama (way to much!, I hate how he treats his crew sometimes and the yelling...).

But if you think about it drama is what people want - the Bacholar, Simon's mean judging on American Idol, on and on and on. For those of us who love to make cakes and want to watch a show for the techinques - it can rub us wrong, but for those who watch for the drama and love watching a beautiful cake made its perfect and I think that there are a lot of people out there like that.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:00am
post #24 of 95

I agree....not sure why they think we need all the theatrics...just show us some cakes and tips on how to acheive the finished product. I also agree Buddy seems like a really nice guy when he's not on the show yellling icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #25 of 95

I love Cake Boss. Seriously. What I enjoy most is that Buddy cares about both look and taste. It seems that he really prides himself on offering traditional, great tasting pastries, while it seems that Ace of Cakes is more about look than taste. I saw one episode where he baked a cannoli cake that he said that his deceased father created for the bakery that was very touching. I am also impressed that he and his team create such great cakes and he is completely self taught.

Being an East Coast girl, his accent and attitude don't bother me at all. He sounds like a guy from Hobokken and he's from a loud and boisterous family--although I think some of that is for the camera and faux drama is a major ingredient in reality tv.

visa3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visa3 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #26 of 95

To respond to Chelseak- Yes I have been there to his shop, And yes all the things in his shop are yummy! Lobster claws to die for, canolli's too,yummy cupcakes.They are all so very nice there. The MOM and Mary were there when I was, and even though they were very busy{ Line out the door} they were nice enough to sign a shirt for me.Sadly Buddy was not there that day. There was an 8 or 9 inch cake with stripes and pokadot with a bow it was about $45.00 Hope to get back there this summer. Hope this helps
Clarissa

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #27 of 95

I enjoy the show, in spite of all the antics. I always come away with something new - but i totally agree with others have posted here about how I too, wish they would quote at the end of the show what the price for specific cakes are. I have SO MANY customers that call me for some of these over the top cakes and expect to pay $100 for what Duff and Buddy probably charge $1,500 for...or they expect to pay $500 for something they charge $5,000 dollars for. The general public does NOT HAVE A CLUE what really goes into the creation of some of these cakes when it comes to the time and effort involved. OH MY!

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #28 of 95

Yeah the drama is a bit much sometimes but without all that the only ones who would watch the show would be those of us who are cake addicts icon_lol.gif There has to be something to attract the rest of the viewing audience, besides I think a lot is put on for the camera and it's mostly just good fun in a family atmosphere.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #29 of 95

I have to admit I love everything about the show. His buttercream looks likie it is to die for.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #30 of 95

I'm with you, Multilayered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%