Cricut Cake Success

Decorating By mtaylor10099 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 6:37am by Briarview

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 28

Well I finally succeeded in making clean cuts. After numerous attempts and a lot of help from fellow members I got it right.

I used Wilton Fondant the size of a large orange mixed with 3/4 tsp of Tylose. I rolled it out to the thickness of a dime on a cutting mat covered in shortening. Let it sit out about 8 hrs not covered. Made my cuts with no tearing. The only thing I noticed is that you need to apply them soon after you have removed them from the mat as they dry out pretty quickly and you will run the risk of them cracking slightly.

The other thing I tried was homemade gumpaste that had been allowed to sit and cure wrapped in plastic wrap and in a ziplock bag for 24 hrs after making it. Once it had cured, I followed videos on "working with gumpaste" on you tube. It worked! This one seemed to be a little more pliable.

If anyone knows what ingredient makes gumpaste have more give or flexibility let me know, maybe I could tweek my gumpaste recipe so it can have a little more flexibility to it.

27 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 28

I don't have the Cricut Cake, but with my Expression, I've found that Satin Ice premade gum paste works awesome with it and gets very clean cuts and only has to sit about 10-30 minutes before cutting. Glad you found what works for you. Once you master that part of it, then the fun begins!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 28

What you found with the fondant/tylose and the waiting time is just what I found. Works perfectly. Because it take so much time to dry I went out and bought more cake mats so I can roll out several sheets of 12x12 and have it ready in case what I'm doing doesn't cut perfectly! LOVE it!

Cat

masdyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masdyl Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #4 of 28

I have heard that you can use the cricut expressions machine on fondant and gumpaste. Could someone please give me any details/directions that will help me learn how to do this. Do you put the fondant/gumpaste between two pieces of paper, or are there certain ways to do this. I don't want to ruin my machine, but I really want to learn how to do this. Please advise. (mod edited) Thank you so much!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 28

I've been trying and erroring for awhile now and last night I think I'm getting it FINALLY. My fondant was too soft my gumpaste too hard so I did a 50/50 mix and let it sit for 20 min and it's been better than usual, a little ragged edges on some pieces that were thicker I noticed. Yes what a world will be opened up once we get it JUST RIGHT!!!!

masdyl Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 28

Thank you sooo much for answering my question. And for giving me the hints I really appreciate it... (mod edited.)

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 28

what settings did you use when you cut it out?

Im having a heck of a time with jagged edges.

masdyl Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #8 of 28

I too would like to know which settings are best and any other information you can give...THANK YOU

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:57am
post #9 of 28

we just purchased the Cricut Cake Cutter. Haven't used it yet, but with the cake cutter vs. the plain Cricut there is no pressure adjustment.

masdyl Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #10 of 28

Please let me know which one you think is better. I havent gotten the cricut cake yet but I am thinking about it. I have the cricut expressions but I havent tried it yet, was waiting to see if anyone else had used it... so please let me know. Thank you

debster Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #11 of 28

I'm waiting to see what the jagged edges are caused from that's my main problem and sometimes it just slides around on the intricut stuff, I wonder if I'll ever get a damask print out?????

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #12 of 28

debster, I think the jagged edges are caused when the cutter goes over the cut for the second time...the material shifts slightly before the second cut. Mine did that too so I smeared more shortening on the mat. It seemed to hold better.

debster Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 28

Ok I'll try the more shortening ......Thanks

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 28

[quote="debster"]I'm waiting to see what the jagged edges are caused from that's my main problem and sometimes it just slides around on the intricut stuff, I wonder if I'll ever get a damask print out?????[/quote

I'm having this problem too! I've been trying to do the damask pattern for AGES with the CC and it simply will NOT come out. I can always use my stencil but I was hoping I could use this too...does anyone have any advice?

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #15 of 28

What thickness are you rolling your gumpaste to? I used linda's Mcclures gumpaste recipe(its really stiff and you have to zap in the microwave to use it. So not what I was used to at all for gumpaste) and rolled it to a 6 on my pasta machine and it worked great... no waiting and nice clean cuts.. speed was 2 pressure was 2. but the thinner the better and it did hold its shape when I took it off the mat.. for a number that I put on top of a cake I just stacked layers of the cut out number ontop of each other until I got the correct thickness It worked great..

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 28

mataylor - can you explain this part of the your comments:

The only thing I noticed is that you need to apply them soon after you have removed them from the mat as they dry out pretty quickly and you will run the risk of them cracking slightly.

What did you mean when you said youneed to apply them soon after you have removed them???

I have tried a similar method to you and are have issues getting my image removed from the mat due to cracking.

debster Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 28

Sorry your having problems also , but glad it's not just me. This must go hand and hand with the machine because as I watch these threads people are having the same problems all around. I wonder if they got it out too fast before the bugs were out of it.

Then again someone said they are having classes for 300.00 come on now to learn to use a machine you paid that much or more for? ( I hope that rumor is untrue) They don't tell you that you need a class when you buy it. Yeah , it's upsetting. I wanted it to help me for letters and speed and it's not working for what I need it for. Also the damask stuff . If nothing else I needed a large one for scrapbooking. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

masdyl Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 28

Thanks for all of the help! I am definately going to put it all to good use...

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 28

I'm trying to roll it as thin as I can. I was using first straight gumpaste and then a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mixture. I've read that a lot of people are having success cutting regular Wilton fondant, so I may try that.

I don't have a pasta attachment for my Kitchenaid, I'm thinking about getting one though after watching those Linda McClure videos. The only problem with the pasta machine is that you can't roll out a 12 x 12 sheet for larger images.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #20 of 28

I used Wilton fondant with some tylose. I cut some images. No success with intricut designs. When I use this to do a cake I will make the pieces ahead and put them in baggies to keep them somewhat soft so the will still be somewhat pliable. It takes so long to get one that comes out well. The simpler the objest you are cuttin g out the better. I think Cricut should stick to scrapbooking. They do not have enough experience in cakes and sugar art. Paper is a whole lot different to work with than fondant.

debster Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #21 of 28

From what I see on here I thought Linda tried it and Provo wanted the funds? True or not I don't know?????? I do know they didn't wait long after the fact. Jennifer Atwood cuts the fancy damask looking stuff , but I don't know how she does it?

masdyl Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 28

Are you all using the cricut original, or the cricut cake? Please let me know about your successes and your defeats. I really appreciate all of your comments, they are so helpful.. Thanks again

debster Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:26pm
post #23 of 28

I used the regulare cricut and the cake and had the same problems with both of them. I bought the cake since I could cut paper if need be but wanted the stainless steel for the food aspect of it.

debster Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm
post #24 of 28
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #25 of 28

Can those of you who have had cricut success please post photos of the cakes you've made? I'd love to see what the machine does.
Thanks.

debster Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #26 of 28
debster Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #27 of 28

cutthecake ...........it didn't show up right. Go to search and type in cakes made with the cricut and lots show up I don't know why that link doesn't work????

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #28 of 28

I have the Cricut Create that I adapted to use for icing only. I have had success and I use fondant and dyocel. I think it depends the area you are from and the humidity. When I cut out the letters, circles and designs I place in a plastic cover, the one you place documents in and place in the freezer, making sure they are placed flat, and when you want to use them they are still soft and pliable. I have the Expressions just for paper and card craft,i.e. cupcake wrappers and bags and boxes. I have ordered the Cricut Cake and that arrives the end of June in New Zealand. I use a pasta maker to roll out and place Crisco on the mat and let dry for about ½hour and then cut. Checking the blade every so often and making sure it is clean as this can give you unclean cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%