"jenna Bush" Like....icing Marks

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 29 May 2010 , 4:21pm by 3GCakes

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all....

Remember Jenna Bush's wedding cake? I know it got a lot of talk on here but I can't find the posts.

Was wondering....did they use a crusting b/c, and then a cold spoon or do you think a hot spoon? Do they apply the buttercream in sections to prevent crusting....or do they let it crust and then work with the spoon?

Also...when they make a cake with the meringue-like points--do they use a hot or a cold spoon when trying it on buttercream?

Thanks.

6 replies
BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have an answer, but I'm curious about your questions about "cold" spoons. Are you talking about a spoon that has been chilled, or just a regular spoon versus a hot spoon -- as in hot knife?

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 7

According to this blog I found, they used "whipped frosting", so I'm not sure..

http://mixmingleglow.com/blog/?p=367

3GCakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 7

I'm just talking about room temp spoon. As compared to a hot one, like a hot spatula is used to smooth.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 7

I did this about the same time Jenna's cake was done, I did it using a hot spoon on the icing after I put it on thick....

dont know if this is what you mean????
LL

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 7

Just wanted to post a link to the cake, so it might be easier for you to get an answer.

http://cakeitaly.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/bush_wedding_cake.jpg

My 2 cents - if this was whipped frosting, they probably just used a rounded spatula/spreader. With crusting BC, if you can't do the effect with a spatula or spoon before it crusts, then a hot spoon afterwards should work. Have you considered SMBC or IMBC? It would be easier to work with for this effect, as it won't crust, it's nice and smooth, and you could fix any mistakes you make as you go. Good luck!

3GCakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

2TX that's exactly what I'm talking about. I was thinking a hot spoon would be the best way...thank you.

Dawn, thanks for posting the link. Usually I do use IMBC but had a request for regular buttercream, which I am out of practice on anymore! Ha ha...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%