Help !! Has Anyone Tried Adding Flavored Jello To Their Mmf

Baking By tesso Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:29pm by nwnest

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 13

recipe to flavor it? I need strawberry MMF and I forgot to buy the dang flavoring. I have been searching through recipes.. but I can never find anything right when I need it !! GRRRR... icon_mad.gif
I have strawberry flavored gelatin.. just dont have time to experiment !!

Has anyone tried the gelatin? ANy ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 replies
nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 13

I haven't tried it. But I don't think it will work unless you dissolve it first, otherwise it will be grainy. I don't know what adding dissolved gelatin will do to the texture of the MMF....but I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work.

bridgett09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett09 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 13

I think that i read somewhere on here that there is actually a recipe that uses flavored jello. Again, I think.....

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 13

That recipe is SophieBelle's. Go to the recipe tab and search for 'jello fondant' HTH icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

That recipe is SophieBelle's. Go to the recipe tab and search for 'jello fondant' HTH icon_smile.gif

I remember someone started a thread on this recipe a few months back. According to that thread this isn't a good recipe. Maybe someone can find the thread? The op said that it was dry and crumbly. I'm looking for the thread. Sorry I couldn't find the link to it.

Lisa187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa187 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 13

Have you tried using the jet puff brand strawberry flavored marshmallow to make the mmf? Maybe add a little more strawberry extract if you need a stronger flavor.

tesso Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 13

OMG !!! IT WORKED !!! I decided that I just had to give it a try and IT WORKED !!! It made the best fondant ever. It is so pliable and the flavor is intense. I only used half the jello packet. It is now "resting" and the smell is getting even stronger!! It smells like strawberry fields in my house right now !!

I am so psyched. Thanks for you suggestions and help. You guys have got to try the jello !!

edited to add: I added the jello to the hot marshmallow mixture. It was a little grainy at first, but the longer it sets, the less grainy it is becoming. There is no grainy-ness at this time.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #8 of 13

I made the Lime flavored MMF and was not a fan of that flavor. I mixed it 50/50 with plain MMF in order to get a flavor I could stand. It sounds like you did that ratio from the other direction. I really should try some other flavors. Strawberry sounds great.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #9 of 13

I am glad to know that this works. I wanted to try it but that thread I read all of the bad reviews on kept me from trying.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

edited to add: I added the jello to the hot marshmallow mixture. It was a little grainy at first

Glad it worked for you Tesso...did you add the half-packet of jello to hot water first (a la Sophiebelle) or just the dry jello to the marshmallow mix?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #11 of 13

I tried the recipe about a year ago and it was beautiful until after the rest period, then it was very crumbly. I had to mix it with regular MMF to change the texture and be able to use it.

tesso Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #12 of 13

I added the jello packet to the hot marshmallow mixture. I did NOTdissolve it in water first. This thing is so cool. I cant believe how pliable it is !!

I have already decided to make my other nieces birthday cake Tropical fruit flavored !! I am looking forward to August to make it!! If I can wait that long. icon_lol.gif

My Jello flavored MMF recipe is now officially:
1 bag of mini marshmallows 10.5 oz.
3 tbs of water
3 cups of pwd sugar
1/2 pack of jello (any flavor)

1-2 cups of pwd sugar for kneading purposes.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 13

Very cool! I'll have to try this myself sometime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%