Broken Cake

Decorating By babycakes61 Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:08pm by tiggy2

babycakes61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes61 Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 11

HELP! My bottom 14" tier broke, I think I can just put buttercream between the two after I torte and fill them,is that right or is there a better way?
Babycakes61

10 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 11

How many tiers on top of that 14" tier? I would be afraid it would not hold up the weight of another cake.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

I have fixed many a cake by using buttercream, but not stacked ones so I can't comment if it would break under the weight of the other cakes.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 11

Remember....the weight of your tiers will be on your support system, NOT on the cake itself.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:27am
post #5 of 11

If you are going to have weight on it, bake a new tier. It is better safe than sorry!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

Remember....the weight of your tiers will be on your support system, NOT on the cake itself.

yes yes yes!!! if you're support system is a good one then there won't be ANY weight on the bottom tier.

If it already broke, I would suggest torting (but don't seperate the layers yet) Then pop it in the freezer to firm up so you can handle it better.

Then when you go to actually layer the cake spin one layer 90 degrees, so that the broken seam is going the opposite direction of the one below it. This will help keep your icing from moving and cracking if your cake should shift when moving,

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:34am
post #7 of 11

True, the bottom tier shouldn't actually bear weight, BUT, depending on the severity of the crack, you have to be very careful where you place the supports in that cake.

If a dowel goes directly into a crack, then when weight gets put on that dowel from the tier above, it can cause the crack to re-open.

If you decide to use it, make sure that you know exactly where it "was" when you put your dowels !

Rae

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:24am
post #8 of 11

I have done this several times with no problems. As others have said the weight will be on the dowels not the cake. I would make this the bottom cake so it will be supported with the board. Glue together with frosting.

babycakes61 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for your help,this is my first wedding cake and things are not going well. My husband says I should just bake another cake,I still have time I guess I will do that. I baked my 12" cake today and the cake in the heating core broke I'm not doing well.I started my cakes on Mon. just in case I had problems, the wedding is Fri.

babycakes61 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 11

DeeDelightful,
There will be a 12" on top of the 14",I'm thinking instead of stacking the 9" and 6" on top of the 14" and 12" that I should use columns between the 12" and 9".

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes61

DeeDelightful,
There will be a 12" on top of the 14",I'm thinking instead of stacking the 9" and 6" on top of the 14" and 12" that I should use columns between the 12" and 9".

What difference will that make? What kind of support system will you be using? It's probably too late now but I would suggest SPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%