I'm Not Having A Cake Kinda Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 23 May 2010 , 2:35pm by tesso

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 13

Lets start by saying that I"m making a wedding cake for tomorrow. the bottom layer is and 18x18. Baked one last night (froze) and baked the other this afternoon (left in pan). Finished frosting all the other layers (tonight) and started on the bottom. Frozen layer did just fine.

Freshed baked split all to #$%%. It's a big layer anyway. But how in the world do you get the top layer on the bottom without it splitting? I just wanna throw in the towel. I'm so frustrated. Im up baking another layer now. Wedding is tomorrow at 3:00. I guess I just needed to vent. Please pray that this one comes out fine.

Thanks for listening,
Stephanie

12 replies
JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #2 of 13

Oh, so sorry to hear that....here is to late nights caking! Hope it goes well....and you get some rest....

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 13

when I double stack cakes that big, I use a styrofoam posterboard, with a huge sheet of parchement paper or wax paper over it. That way I can flip my cake over onto the paper/board.

then, put the edge of the posterboard against the edge of the bottom tier and pull the cake onto the other layer by the wax paper, hold top cake layer down lightly and slip the wax paper out from between the layers.

I hope that makes sense. It is the only way I can get it to work with out cracking or spliting.

tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 13

Thanks! I thought about doing that on the next layer. I can't figure out any other way to do it without it splitting. I've never make a cake layer this big. I'm gonna get it right if I have to sit up all night.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #5 of 13

If it's square, next time bake 4 9 inch squares. I did this for a 12x12 (using 6 in pans) and it worked great. I didn't have to stress about breaking or the middles cooking. Just a thought for next time.

tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 13

I hope you dont have to sit up all night doing your cake. I have also used a huge glass cutting board in place of the posterboard. It was a little harder to manipulate because of the weight, but just a suggestion, if you dont have posterboard handy.

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 13

Bless all of you who do these super large cakes...I'm not brave enough to tackle more than a 10 inch...did a 12 inch round one time..and only one layer...talk about trouble...had to patch it up like crazy!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 13

When I do a large cake, I line the bottom of my pan with wax paper. The wax paper kind of sticks to the bottom of cake, so when you flip it - it helps it not to crack/split. HTH Good Luck!

tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 13

Well, I made it.Went to sleep about 1:30 and was up at 5:50. Thanks everyone for the help. I did what you said Tesso. It worked great. All 3 cakes are decorated and ready for stacking. Not stacking until I get to the venue. My nerves cannot handle driving down the road with it stacked. Will post pics later. Thanks for all the help.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 13

I do the same as Tesso...Works everytime!!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

when I double stack cakes that big, I use a styrofoam posterboard, with a huge sheet of parchement paper or wax paper over it. That way I can flip my cake over onto the paper/board.

then, put the edge of the posterboard against the edge of the bottom tier and pull the cake onto the other layer by the wax paper, hold top cake layer down lightly and slip the wax paper out from between the layers.

I hope that makes sense. It is the only way I can get it to work with out cracking or spliting.

Is there filling on top of the bottom layer when you slide the top layer on? How do you not pull the filling out while pulling the wax paper out from between the layers?

tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 13

It was iced with butter cream. It didn't pull out (maybe a very small amount). Not sure why, but it didn't.
Please look under my photos. It's simple, but it's what the bride requested. It's the white square with the pink, purple and green daisies.
Thanks for all the help.

tesso Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 13

I am so glad that it worked out for you!! I remember my first one spliting into oblivion and the stress..whew..

I cant wait to see the pics.

I am so sorry...It was late and i forgot to mention a short cut for sticky, gooey fillings.

confectionsofahousewife... by using the wax paper (my preference) I have never had a filling squish out, or pull out. If using a crusting buttercream that paper slides out like nothing. but if using a softer filling. like fruit or something that is sticky, you follow the same instructions for laying the cake on top, BUT you can go ahead and start pulling the wax paper gently out as you are positioning it. It is super easy since the wax paper doesnt stick. HTH's

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%