They Got Me Good. A Funny Story...........

Decorating By kimbm04r Updated 22 May 2010 , 4:16am by chellescountrycakes

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

This cake has turned out to be quite a story. My daughter came to me a week ago and asked me to make a cake for the birthday of a friend she works with. After discussing it with her, (she told me that the friend was getting married and her wedding colors were pink and teal and she was having tulips in the wedding),she somewhat gave me full rein and I came up with this cake. She wants it on Saturday when she gets off work to take to work Sunday. I work really hard on it and don't have it quite done yet when she stops by so I tell her I will take it over when done. I get it done and deliver it around 10:00 PM. She just loves it and tells me how much her friend will love it.

Well, fast forward a week. Today is my birthday and my husband tells me that he has made reservations for us at a restaurant that I really enjoy. We leave and he informs me that my daughter called and was wanting to barrow our hedge trimmer so we are going to drop it off on the way. We turn the corner into their addition and what do I see but the vehicles of my entire family setting in her driveway. She schemed has schemed since March with my husband to plan a surprise birthday party for me. It was great, cookout on the grill with all the works. We were done eating and just setting there enjoying conversation when she comes out of the house and says "Mom, want to see your birthday cake?" Sure, okay. What does she walk out of the house with but this cake. She had put it in the freezer as soon as I left from delivering it. She even went as far as to tell eveybody at work about it right down to a picture so they knew what it looked like and right into what flavor the cake was so if I came in they would be able to play along. The friend she had faked me out with was so afraid that I would come in and she wouldn't be able to keep the secret. I was laughing so hard when I saw the cake that I started crying (they claim I stopped breathing) and turned almost as red as my hair. I have had a surprise birthday party before but this one really takes the cake. No pun intended.
LL

7 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #2 of 8

OMG that is too funny !!!! what a fabulous surprise. At least you know you got one helluva gorgeous birthday cake !!! icon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 8

That was really sweet of your family. You're cake is beautiful. Do you mind if I ask what you use for stems? Happy birthday by the wayicon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 8

Yes, happy birthday. Your surprise was wonderful.Your cake is beautiful. I love happy stories like this.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #5 of 8

Thanks.

The stems are made from floral wire that I wrapped in floral tape. I used the instructions from the Wilton Beautiful Gum Paste Flowers Cutter Kit book.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 8

You did a great job on the cake and they did a great job on surprising you. Happy Birthday!

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #7 of 8

you did a great job-- on the cake, and raising a lovely, thankful, obviously wonderful daughter.
thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #8 of 8

The cake is beautiful!! and I guess I dont have to say Happy Birthday, because its obvious it was a great one and that you are very blessed with such a loving and caring family!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%