What Is The One Thing You Can't Bake Or Cook?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 2:46am by remnant3333

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #31 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But according to my family, I make the best dang chicken-n-dumplins! (yes, there is no "g". If you pronounce it with a 'g', then they don't taste the same!) icon_lol.gif

Me too! But only the kind with the fluffy drop dumplins, not the doughy flat noodles.

I just made a stockpot full of the classic Famous-Barr French Onion Soup... it's another one of my weaknesses!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #32 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by melave

i can not poach an egg!!!! i have tried many times and they fall apart and the white stuff goes all through the pot, it doesn't hold together!!!

I didn't know it could be done without using an egg-poaching pan! (I inherited one from my grandma.)

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #33 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

I didn't know it could be done without using an egg-poaching pan! (I inherited one from my grandma.)

my mum can do them in a frying pan like this
http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/articles/603/poach+an+egg+stovetop

i fail miserably at this icon_sad.gif i think i may have to invest in one of those egg poaching pan thingies icon_smile.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #34 of 102

I tried the waffles again and it actually worked! Miracles really do happen in the kitchen! LOL
Jen...

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #35 of 102
Quote:

i can make cakes and bikkies but i can't poach an egg icon_smile.gif

What's a "bikkie"? Is it a cookie?[/b]

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #36 of 102

I can bake up a nice pie itself....just not the shell....tastes like rubber! icon_lol.gif Soooo, like indydeb, I just get the Pillsbury Roll-out kind from the refrigerator section of the grocery store!!!

GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #37 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

I think its like a biscuit or a flat cookie..... icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #38 of 102

Cheesecake. It's underdone, or I overbake it and it cracks and weeps. I can't get it right!!! icon_mad.gif

GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #39 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

Rice - I burn it, overcook it or there is loads of water left in the pot when it should be done.
Boil eggs - they turn out runny or green inside
BUT - any pastries, cakes, cupcakes, macarons, danish and so on I always get right so why teh heck can't I cook simple things like rice and eggs ??

Try this:

Rice: In 2 Qt saucepan, Place 1 Cup white rice in 2 Cups cold water. Cover with tight lid. Place on stove on high heat and WATCH it. When it just JUST to a boil, turn it down between Off and Lo, you know....the stove is just b-a-r-e-l-y on. Time it for 20 minutes. Keep the lid ON always, DON'T stir. If it boils over the side of the pan for a bit, then turn down the stove just a hair more....after 20 minutes, nice soft, fluffy yummy rice. icon_biggrin.gif The key is don't stir at all, keep the lid on, cold water and just 20 minutes.

Boil Eggs: Cold water to fill a sauce pan, Place your cold eggs in your COLD water. Turn stove on to high heat and WATCH it. Bring JUST to a boil, not a hard boil. COVER THE PAN AND TURN OFF THE STOVE and time it for 20 minutes. Leave the plan on the burner, but do NOT leave the burner on. AFter 20 min., drain the hot water out, turn on the cold water faucet and get the cold water over those eggs FAST and get them to cool down as fast as possible. (DON'T use ice!) You can also place your hot eggs in another container and fill with cold, cold water and time it for 20 minutes if you are busy....Me? I just let the cold water go. They will cool down quickly this way. Then put them in the fridge! icon_biggrin.gif Should be able to peel them really easy this way, too.

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #40 of 102

I cannot make potato salad. It always comes out flavorless. Not sure what I'm doing, I've tried recipes and added extra seasonings, but it always tastes bland.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #41 of 102

My Grandma said that you need to add pickle juice. She always added quite a bit to hers.
Jen...

GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #42 of 102

Dill pickle juice! Yum! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #43 of 102

Pickle juice in potato salad? icon_eek.gif Ewww! That will make me back out of the room while making the sign of the cross! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Our potato salad (that is an old family recipe and I used in the catering biz and was a very popular item) is on the sweet side. I use sweet relish (no DILL juice at all!) and I NEVER use plain 'ole tasteless mayo. Yuck! I use a salad dressing called Henri's Tastee Salad Dressing (there is no flavor, like "italian" or "ranch" .... it's just called "Tastee") and it's really hard to find. WHen I can't find that, I use Marzetti's Cole Slaw dressing.

I use this same dressing to make deviled eggs. Hubby's brother, who refuses to eat deviled eggs, ate 5 or 6 of mine in one sitting!

Mayo is tasteless and I just refuse to use it.

GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #44 of 102

I's from the South! Dill Pickle juice in Potatoe Salad is the Bomb! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif And I guess it comes from my southern roots, just like sweet tea icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #45 of 102

GI, that must be the diff! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #46 of 102

I'm a dill pickle potato salad girl myself. I pretty much only eat my mom's. We use new/red potatos, chopped onion, chopped pickle (and yes with some extra juice added), chopped boiled egg, pilmentos, mircle whip, a tiny bit of mustard and salt/pepper.

I don't like sweet pickles in my potato salad (or deviled eggs) nor do I like mustardy potato salad.

GI Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #47 of 102

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Its just GOTTA be! icon_wink.gif

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #48 of 102

Can not make gravy to save my life. Have a younger brother who is the master.Oh and cookies of any kind.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #49 of 102

I'm not satisfied with my bread-baking skills yet, but everyone just tells me I'm being picky. Other than that, I have yet to find something I can't make. It might not come out perfect the first time, but figuring out how to perfect stuff is part of the fun!

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:04am
post #50 of 102

dumplings, either too dry, slimy or heavy.

melave Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:58am
post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

sorry for the late reply... been working icon_sad.gif

Yeh a bikkie is slang for a biscuit which is a cookie icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #52 of 102

Butterscotch pudding. I have tried all kinds of recipes, (and they do turn out delicious), but the flavor I crave is that found in a box: Jello brand. I just cannot duplicate that flavor.
Oh, Melave, when you next try to poach an egg, put a little bit of vinegar in the water in a skillet, bring it to a simmer, then gently slide the eggs, (cracked and in a small bowl) into the water. If you've used just a little vinegar you won't taste it and it helps the whites to congeal almost instantly. You won't have any whites strung out in the water. Remove them with a slotted spoon and enjoy. (I like to put them on hot buttered home made toast.)

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:41am
post #53 of 102

I have been told I was blessed with the illusive cooking gene that no-one in my family has.... I can pretty much cook anything , EXCEPT ......... RICE!!!!...... It either ends up mushy or the grains are still hard, No matter what I do. I have tried ever trick in the book. Rice is my nemisis, and I love rice! My solution was to get an electric rice steamer, It turns out perfect every time in that thing! Which makes me even madder, Its like why cant't I do that! Oh well at least I can have nice fluffy rice now... ahhahahahaha

melave Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:03am
post #54 of 102

thanks milkmaid. I have tried vinegar, still didn't work for me.

I think it's funny. its like you hear people say "so-n-so is so useless, he can't even boil an egg" well i can't poach one icon_smile.gif

I will have to give it a go again next weekend icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #55 of 102

I can bake just about anything, except bread LOL. my husband said that if our homes foundation needed to be repaired he would ask me to bake some bread LOL...

No matter the recipe, or anything I try, my bread always comes out like a brick, heavy, solid and indestructible icon_wink.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #56 of 102

One more suggestion for you, Melave. It doesn't sound like where you live anyone raises chickens, (although you do have an occasional stray cow crossing the road!), but if you have access to really fresh eggs from someone who raises them, you will find that the whites and yolks are so tight they practically stand up and salute! A really fresh egg just doesn't spread out. Poaching problem solved.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Cakes

I can bake just about anything, except bread LOL. my husband said that if our homes foundation needed to be repaired he would ask me to bake some bread LOL...

LOL

My husband would only live to say that ONCE!!! Even if it was true!!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I have been told I was blessed with the illusive cooking gene that no-one in my family has.... I can pretty much cook anything , EXCEPT ......... RICE!!!!...... It either ends up mushy or the grains are still hard, No matter what I do. I have tried ever trick in the book. Rice is my nemisis, and I love rice! My solution was to get an electric rice steamer, It turns out perfect every time in that thing! Which makes me even madder, Its like why cant't I do that! Oh well at least I can have nice fluffy rice now... ahhahahahaha

Ditto. One of my favorite foods that goes with just about everything but I can't make it to save my life. Made a big ol' pot of sticky jasmine rice last night.

ripo2nd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ripo2nd Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 8:17pm
post #59 of 102

Potato dumplings, i'm useless of making it. I guess i cheated, i bought it from https://www.juzlova.cz :P

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 3:00am
post #60 of 102

I don't do anything using yeast :(   Won't even try any more. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%