What Is The One Thing You Can't Bake Or Cook?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 2:46am by remnant3333

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:37am
post #91 of 102

@MBalaska I sold my shop, but I still bake, bake, bake. So put your order in, it's never too late to visit and eat.   

ruellesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruellesmith Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 12:16am
post #92 of 102

Cheesecake is a favorite of mine. Yet, it's the one thing that I can't seem to make. There are always faults whenever I'm making it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 12:51am
post #93 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

@MBalaska I sold my shop, but I still bake, bake, bake. So put your order in, it's never too late to visit and eat.   

Thank You for the invitation ! :)

MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 12:53am
post #94 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruellesmith 

Cheesecake is a favorite of mine. Yet, it's the one thing that I can't seem to make. There are always faults whenever I'm making it.

give the old Betty Crocker a try:

9” pan with your crust

3 pkg. CREAM CHEESE   (24 oz)

1 ¼ cup SUGAR gran.

2 Tbsp. FLOUR   all purp.

Cream together till blended.

In a Big Pouring cup or bowl put:

3 whole EGGS

1 tsp. VANILLA ext.

½ tsp. LEMON ext.

¼ cup HEAVY CREAM

½ tsp Lemon or orange powder or 1 Tpsb. Grated peel

Mix these liquids together gently.  Then turn on the mixer and add the egg mix a little at  at time, this only takes a half a minute.

Pour into the crust.

Bake in a 350 f. oven for 20 minutes.  Without opening the oven door........

Turn down the heat to  250 f.  for another 45 minutes.

Then open the door and tap the side of the pan.  Check the center of the cake for jiggle.  2/3 of the outer cake should be set and the center may still jiggle.  Good.

if it's really jiggly all over bake a few minutes more until you get the 1/3 jiggle.

Now turn off the oven, leave cake in for 15 mins.

Then open door, leave in for 15 mins.

Remove from oven, cool on rack.

{this is time consuming, but it's not hard work. No water bath needed, tastes delicious, This New York Cheesecake recipe has never cracked for me.  only If I add chocolate it sometimes cracks.}   ps: I didn't invent this, It's from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 1:00am
post #95 of 102

hard candy lolly pops gave me fits.  I can make a hard caramel ( from scratch butter, cream, sugar, vanilla ext.) and pour into lolly molds and they are spectacular. However no matter what I tried, homemade recipes by the dozen, commercial lolly mixes by different companies, no matter - no way - no how.

They would be just not as good as commercially made candy lolly pops.  I had metal molds, hard candy sheet molds, the little plastic rings, and have used silicone molds, as well as freehand poured.  There is just something missing in both the flavor and the texture.   The best I could do was to use Loran flavorings like cotton candy, marshmallow, red licorice, & bubble gum.  but it just never got good enough for me to continue.  They did look so adorable, hearts & teddy bears,  so cute.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 2:09am
post #96 of 102

Packet mixes , I bake from scratch and if I get lazy and cheat , I am always sorry. They are always a disaster. 

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 10:51pm
post #97 of 102

Cream cheese frosting. Every time I make it, comes out a sloppy mess. 

I will get the hang of it, one day :)

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 12:12am
post #98 of 102

I wish I could make a good Italian Gravy.  :-(

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 3:35pm
post #99 of 102

Bluebelles - All Italian girls think they make the best gravy (thanks for using the right word - not sauce!)  My two sisters and I who learned from our Mom make completely different gravies.  Each of us think ours is the best - except my sisters' kids also prefer mine lol! Hint -  I do NOT cook mine all day.  PM me if you'd like a recipe!

Theresa

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 2:46am
post #100 of 102

I tried making fudge several times and always had to throw it out. After about the fifth time I finally gave up and did not make any fudge for the next 40 years.

Recently though,  I made icing with butter,milk,sugar,vanilla and choc. chips. I had some left over and froze it. When I took it out of freezer it tasted like fudge. I was shocked because for all these years fudge would never work for me. It thickens up nicely in freezer. When it thawed it was fudge. My husband even agreed that it was pretty good.

post #101 of 102

I tried making fudge several times and always had to throw it out. After about the fifth time I finally gave up and did not make any fudge for the next 40 years.

Recently though,  I made icing with butter,milk,sugar,vanilla and choc. chips. I had some left over and froze it. When I took it out of freezer it tasted like fudge. I was shocked because for all these years fudge would never work for me. It thickens up nicely in freezer. When it thawed it was fudge. My husband even agreed that it was pretty good.

post #102 of 102

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%