Make A Mirror?

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 13 May 2010 , 10:09pm by krm52200

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a purse cake this weekend and thought it would be fun to make a little lipstick and mirror to decorate the board. But I'm not sure how to go about making a mirror. I was thinking of modeling chocolate and painting it with silver luster dust but I don't think that will give me the look I'm after.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. If anyone has made a lipstick, I'd love to hear about that as well. I have an idea but my ideas don't always work out icon_smile.gif

Thanks -

KRM

6 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 7

Well a mirror is basically silver paint on the back of a pane of glass. So I would try making a disc out of poured clear isomalt. Then once it was set I would either paint the back with silver highlight dust mixed with vodka, or I'd paint the inset part of the gumpaste compact that the disc would be set into.

krm52200 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

i love this idea but i've never worked with isomalt and wouldn't know where to start!

artscallion Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 7

I haven't worked much with it either. But I imagine it would be simple for an application like this. You just have to melt it and heat it to the directed temperature, then slowly pour a little out onto a silicone mat or maybe even a sheet of parchment. It will naturally spread to a circle. Let it cool and you're done.

I have made sugar glass windows in gingerbread houses by cutting window holes out of the gingerbread walls, filling the holes with crushed hard candy, placing it on a parchment lined sheet and baking just until it melts. I imagine you could do the same with a lightly greased biscuit cutter and some of those clear mint hard candies.

krm52200 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

artscallion you are brilliant! I've done that with gingerbread houses as well! I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

thank you so much!

KRM

artscallion Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

I'll be interested to know how it turns out. Keep us posted!

krm52200 Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

can you believe I went to 4 stores today and could not find clear hard candies anywhere!?!

I'm going to try to make my own hard candy mixture tomorrow. Iam determined to make this work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%