I Forgot The Meringue Powder!

Decorating By jazzimat Updated 6 May 2010 , 5:25pm by TexasSugar

jazzimat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzimat Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:17am
post #1 of 11

Hi,

I made my first buttercream icing, using the Wilton recipe. I frosted the cake, it's as smooth as can be. It took me a couple of hours to do it. It now looks really nice. Then, I'm re-reading the recipe, OH MY GOSH!!! I forgot the meringue powder!!! I was hoping to do my first fondant cake, whats going to happen to it? Is it totally ruined now? BTW, it does taste pretty good though) .

Thanks,
jazzi

10 replies
dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 11

the meringue powder is just a stabelizer... so my advise: eat it - fast!

No, it's not ruined... you should keep it in the refridgerator if you think it's going to be around for a while though.

Have fun - and keep at it! thumbs_up.gif
diem

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:32am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzimat

Hi,

I made my first buttercream icing, using the Wilton recipe. I frosted the cake, it's as smooth as can be. It took me a couple of hours to do it. It now looks really nice. Then, I'm re-reading the recipe, OH MY GOSH!!! I forgot the meringue powder!!! I was hoping to do my first fondant cake, whats going to happen to it? Is it totally ruined now? BTW, it does taste pretty good though) .

Thanks,
jazzi

I don't use meringue powder,So it should be fine.

jazzimat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzimat Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:42am
post #4 of 11

Oh, thank you for the replies. At first, I was so proud of myself. My first cake. It took me literally all day to to this., but a week to plan out. I was so prepared, I even went to JoAnns to buy the meringue powder today! My heart kinda sank when I realized what I had done. So, it's okay to add the fondant tomorrow?

jazzi

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzimat

Oh, thank you for the replies. At first, I was so proud of myself. My first cake. It took me literally all day to to this., but a week to plan out. I was so prepared, I even went to JoAnns to buy the meringue powder today! My heart kinda sank when I realized what I had done. So, it's okay to add the fondant tomorrow?

jazzi

go for it! and make sure to show us a picture!

diem

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:17am
post #6 of 11

Assuming that you're using an American BC (powdered sugar and butter/shortening) it'll be more than fine! Meringue powder is actually a substitute for beaten egg whites. It's just there to add "body" to your icings. Some feel that it helps to cause some icing recipes to crust better, but I can't say for sure.

If you're using a crusting BC recipe, it will still crust without it. Refrigerating your icing depends on the recipe, not the addition of meringue - if yours doesn't normally need to go in the fridge, it still won't need to. Good luck with your cake!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 11

I really don't get what meringue powder is even for. icon_confused.gif You don't need it. icon_biggrin.gif

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 11

It should be fine--especially if you are covering it w/ fondant. Besides being a stailizer, it helps keep colors from running/bleeding after you have decorated the cake. (For instance dark colors used on a white iced cake.) Since you are covering it w/ fondant--no worries about colors running. thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 11

I haven,t used meringue powder in american b/c in 15 yrs. I use butter and shortening and whipping cream. Mine crust very nicely to smooth. In my opinion, it makes it harder to smooth. When i stopped using shortening , only, and use butter and shortening and the whipping cream, it ices more smoothly . Then i use the viva paper towel to smooth more. I,m usually pleased .hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I really don't get what meringue powder is even for. icon_confused.gif You don't need it. icon_biggrin.gif

Same here. Never used it in icing in 30 years. As hinted at in the above post, it has nothing to do with whether the icing crusts or not. Don't spend the extra money.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 11

I stopped using it and went back to it. For me it helps in the heat and humidity here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%