Air Bubbles In Fondant

Decorating By DEEsserts Updated 6 May 2010 , 8:00am by sweettreat101

DEEsserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEEsserts Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 9

Hey bakers!

When I first started making cakes I would just use the store bought cake box and store bought frosting and make my own MMF. I didn't have problems with my fondant at this point--it was always came out to be a nice smooth canvas. Now, I started making my own frosting, for example, cream cheese icing and it seems the past two cakes I've made with this the cake has looked messy. Messy meaning there was air bubbles and it wasn't smooth at all. Anyone have any tips? Do I need to put my homemade icing in the fridge for a certain amount of time? When you frost your cake do you put it in the fridge to harden? It seems like the icing is too soft or something. I hope someone can help! I'm self taught and was doing pretty good, but now it seems as though I'm taking steps backwards....help! Not sure if it's the icing or the fondant!

I have attached a picture of the bottom of the cake so you can see what
I'm talking about--see how it has air bubbles? It's just a mess!
LL

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 9

Cream cheese icing. That's probably your problem. There is a receipe for crusting cream cheese icing in the receipe section. I'm not for certain but I think maybe you could use that under fondant. I've never tried cream cheese icing under fondant because I've read so many post from those that have and they ended up with a mess thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:09am
post #3 of 9

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. This is the best cream cheese frosting for decorating cakes that I have found. Love the stuff. It is a crusting frosting so it's easy to smooth or imprint with the paper towel method. I fill and frost my cakes and place them in the fridge overnight to let any air escape the frosting before covering with fondant. I used to have the same problem until someone told me to let them rest.

DEEsserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEEsserts Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 9

Thank y'all so much for the suggestions! I figured it was the cream cheese icing that was too soft but everyone loves cream cheese icing! Thank you so much for the new recipe, I will definitely try that one out! If I wanted to make it chocolate cream cheese icing, how much coco powder do you suggest I use?

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

Cream cheese icing is way too soft to work on a cake, as me how I know. Now I use the crusting cream sheese icing and then place infridge to stiffen up some resmooth and then apply my fondant. Also if you use this for filling your cakes you need to make sure you have a nice stiff damn because for some reason it like to ooze out making your cakes buldge.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 9

I would start with 1/2 cups cocoa and add more if needed. You will have to add a little water or cream to compensate just don't add to much.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 9

Forgot to add if you can use Hi Ratio shortening. I don't use Crisco anymore to greasy. Hi Ratio is awesome.

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:38am
post #8 of 9

I am new to cake decorating.. My biggest worry is what is the best filling and frosting to use under the fondant, since my understanding is you should not refrigerate the cake once the fondant has been applied.
I have been using buttercream under my fondant, the one made with shortening, no butter. I have also used Ganache, as it can sit out at room temperature also, without worry of spoiling.

So I guess my question is can this creamcheese recipe above be left out, or does it need to be refrigerated.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

sweettreat101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:00am
post #9 of 9

The butter cream recipe I use is 2 lbs powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/3 cup water, 1 stick salted butter and 2 tablespoons clear vanilla. I leave my cakes out all the time even the cream cheese recipe I posted above. My mother leaves her butter on the counter and she has never gotten sick. There is another well known cake decorator that doesn't refrigerate her cream cheese butter cream she says that the sugar content keeps it from spoiling. I use water not milk in my frosting. I usually decorate the day before and deliver the following day. As for the fondant I refrigerate all the time and I have never had a problem. I generally use marshmallow fondant so maybe that has something to do with it. I usually try to chill my cakes for several hours before delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%