Need Some Serious Creative Thoughts Re: Republican Cake

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 3:57am by Adevag

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 31

I am making a grooms cake for a wedding coming up in June. The bride wants to surprise her husband with the cake (dark chocolate, of course) and wants it to relate to his favorite thing: being a republican. I have googled and googled and googled republican cakes and any variation/synonyms thereof and have really only seen elephant shaped cakes. I would like to do something a little bit more creative and unique without being terribly offensive to any non-republican wedding goers. Really thought my husband would be some help here because he is a die hard conservative also but his ideas were a little too offensive! Does anyone have some creative ideas? Thanks so much!

30 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 31

How about a collage of some sort that incorporates edible images of famous Republicans of the past...ones that are more neutral to today's folks and thus less likely to offend...Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt...Susan B Anthony

I'm a dyed in the wool liberal and none of those folks would bother me on a cake. But they will mean something to the groom.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 31

Depending on how comical/stately you want it. I would research old policital cartoons. Do you want 3D or 2D?

signs sticking up with TAXES and a circle through them and other signs with various replublican candidates that have ran for office locally and nationaly. Add an oil derrick, something like that.
Maybe an elephant kicking a donkey. in a cartoonish way.

I doubt there will be many wedding guests there that dont share his views and if they do come, they must have a relationship with the groom that either ignores all political talk, or they are willing to discuss matters but still disagree.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 31

cake that looks like a book.

title The Republic

author Plato

caption on board --- the original Republican!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 31

you must incorporate Ronald Reagan somehow. Please don't worry about "offending" any liberals that attend the wedding, that is just silly, this is the bride & groom's day and they should get just what they want.

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 31

You can put an Republican elephant on iticon_smile.gif I'd love to see the cake when you're done!

simplehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplehappy Posted 2 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 31

I agree, don't worry about offending a guest. The groom is a republican and its a cake for him! I think Ronald Reagan should be on it, and perhaps some quotes from famous republicans? I've never done anything like this cake but it seems like a good challenge! Make sure to post pictures when you finish!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 31

I would also research any 'old' republicans that you choose to put on it. The party platform has changed quite a bit in the last 75 years. if you look back at the platform of what was and what is, and put them side by side, the present day democratic platform matches the old guard republican platform more than the current republican does. And most 'uptodate' republicans know this. icon_smile.gif

Reagan is a good one.

and I do agree, I had a very western theme for my wedding. right down to the cowboy boots and tails, cowboyish topper and wore white leather 'old fashioned' (1800's) style boots. City slickers just had to deal with it. icon_wink.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

title The Republic

author Plato

Doug,

I wish I had even 1% of the creativity you have.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 31

Don't forget the American flag - very important!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #11 of 31

an add just popped on the side to sign up for an email newsletter from Newt Gingrich...

which of course set my mind to wandering (creativity is both blessing & curse)

so.....

a newt (the salamander kind) which is green and has some gingham on him and holding a huge fan of $100 bills. Newt Greenrich or Newt Ging(ham)rich.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #12 of 31

What about the Republican symbol, something like this?

http://worddreams.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/republican-elephant.jpg

confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

title The Republic

author Plato

Doug,

I wish I had even 1% of the creativity you have.

Seriously! Doug that's a great idea. I appreciate all the ideas. Now that I've had time to mull over her idea, I am going to contact the bride today to see if she can give me any more specifics on particular conservative issues that her husband feels strongly about and/or particular republican historical figures that he admires. I'll get back to you guys when she responds! Thanks so much for your input so far.

LisaCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaCarter Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 31

maybe you could do an elephant standing on a platform. Dress up the platform like you would see in a political setting with the red white and blue draping and have the elephant dressed in red white and blue also.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 31

i'm loving lisacarter's idea! i know it has the elephant on it, but i think it's adult way of doing it! to take it one step further, the elephant could be wearing a "Re-elect Reagan" shirt! my husband owns a shirt like this and wears it every chace he gets. he's a die hard conservative and would love a cake like this icon_smile.gif

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 31

Another conservative Republican here. icon_biggrin.gif Really we're all about being patriotic and loving our country. (Not saying that liberals don't!) Red, white and blue must be incorporated on the cake. I also like the idea of the elephant on the platform.

Don't worry about offending anyone.....it's THEIR day, they can have what they want!

LisaCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaCarter Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 31

and don't forget the little buttons they wear on their shirts and such...that would be a cute added touch.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 31

I love all your ideas! I still haven't heard back from the bride but talked to another friend of hers and she told me that the groom works at our state's capitol which I didn't know. So now I am thinking about doing the capitol building (which is really scary as it has so many details) with some signage in the "yard" regarding republican things and maybe an elephant on the front lawn wearing red white and blue? Yikes, its getting complicated! Is that too much?

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 31

there's no such thing as "too much" if you're get paid what you should be for your time, ingredients, utilities, etc.! a heavily detailed cake like that should come with a price tag that reflects it!

sounds like it will be an awesome cake and i can't wait to make my hubby a "republican" cake for his birthday...you guys have gotten the ideas flowing icon_smile.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 31

I like Eisskweens picture. Very classy for a wedding without being offensive

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 31

Elephant shaped bushes...LOL Subtle but 'there" And a crowd pleaser.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:03pm
post #22 of 31

From a Republican Politicians wife (me!)...definitely an Elephant with an American flag. Totally non offensive and 100% Republican.
And regardless of your political affiliation...it would be impressive to look at!
Have fun and be sure to post the finished cake!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #23 of 31

Alright, I spoke with the bride and she says her husband is really into Ronald Reagan. So my plan is for a cake for 50ish with a Ronald Reagan theme. Anyone have any ideas?!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #24 of 31

How about edible images of him in piped "frames" and then research what his bumper stickers and campaign buttons looked like, and use some of those designs (maybe actually in the shapes of bumper stickers and buttons) on the cake...?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Alright, I spoke with the bride and she says her husband is really into Ronald Reagan. So my plan is for a cake for 50ish with a Ronald Reagan theme. Anyone have any ideas?!

Jelly beans on the cake!! Reagan was well known for his passion for jelly beans.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #26 of 31

Oh just put Ronald Reagan on it and some cash and it's good to go. I like the idea someone gave about making it shaped like a book and tying that in somehow.

Probably avoid writing HOPE anywhere on the cake icon_smile.gif

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #27 of 31

PLEASE post a photo when you're done lol. I'd love to do something like that for my father in law for father's day!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:

Hahaha! Thats awesome. You have a lot more confidence in my cake sculpting abilities than I do! I wish I could do that!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #30 of 31

I realize its been a month or so since I posted this topic but I finished the Republican groom's cake today. Ended up with a Ronald Reagan theme. Here's the link. Thanks again everyone for your input!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1706093

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%