Cake Snob?

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 11 May 2010 , 2:14pm by costumeczar

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 15

I have heard the term cake snob here on cc and thought "I'm not a cake snob" But today I freaked myself out...I went to 2 parties today, one of which the cake looked ...well....not very good...at all. The cake was done by an unlicensed baker and she charged the party mom an okay price considering the cake wasn't super yummy and looked sloppy, however it just rubbed me the wrong way. The party mom didn't seem too mind, I don't think she noticed all that was wrong with the cake.

I am a hobby baker who is working on getting licensed, I am slowly learning and trying to improve my skills and for those reasons don't do cakes for other people yet. It just irritates me that someone will throw together a piece of crap and charge some unknowing person for it.....

anyways I just needed to vent....I feel better now! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 15

LOL....I know, the more you work on your own cakes, the easier it is to see more unprofessional mistakes!

I'm sure the mom was totally fine with it though....I've had people send me messy cake pictures and they wanted to order it...of course I say yes and then I clean up the design a bit for them when I fill the order.

Some people just don't notice.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 15

good to know someone else sees these things not just me. I feel like a freak...lol. I think,eat,sleep and live CAKE! When i get licensed I want the cakes I send out to be AS CLOSE to perfect as possible, but it's like some people just don't cake what they put their name on....

LOL I even have hubby using the "Professional Goggles" ...every time I'm making a cake he's like "are you gonna fix this, what about that part...it needs to be better" icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

good to know someone else sees these things not just me. I feel like a freak...lol. I think,eat,sleep and live CAKE! When i get licensed I want the cakes I send out to be AS CLOSE to perfect as possible, but it's like some people just don't cake what they put their name on....

LOL I even have hubby using the "Professional Goggles" ...every time I'm making a cake he's like "are you gonna fix this, what about that part...it needs to be better" icon_smile.gif

This made me laugh! My hubby is a convert too! He always gives my cakes the once over and gives his two cents, usually whether I want it or not! lol! Just kidding I'm really happy that he's so supportive and takes an interest in my hobbies. thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 15

My name is Funcakes, and I am a cake snob...

the first step in the 12 step program!

My daughter pointed this out to me, yes I was in denial, but on closer inspection I came to admit:
I am a cake snob, a food snob and a coffee snob.
I am not critical of other peoples decorating, but the taste,OMG. I have to even admit I have been the reason others have become cake snobs too. It seems if you do not eat any store/frozen cakes for awhile, when you go back to eating them they just have an artificial/chemical aftertaste.
I just can't eat fast food or frozen dinners/entrees either.
I can not drink instant coffee.

Bet some of you are like that too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 15

I'm a cake snob, but if it was any other kind of food it would be called being a gourmet. Don't know why it has to be a pejorative term to describe someone who knows the difference between a good cake and a piece of dreck. icon_rolleyes.gif Be proud of your "cake snob" title, it means that you can tell what's worth eating and what you shouldn't waste your calories on.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 15

costume, that was a good one! thumbs_up.gif

At my hubby's job, they buy birthday cakes for the employees and they get them at Kroger. Even tho' his birthday is after christmas, he has already told them "don't get me a cake". He tells me he used to love Kroger cakes .... before he married me! icon_biggrin.gif He will take a bite of one of these cakes once in awhile ...... and he always throws out the piece of cake after one bite, wondering "How do people EAT this stuff!"

There are certain foods that I will only eat certain brands. In the "Coke or Pepsi?" debate, I'm a Coke-girl only. I actually have pulled into a fast food drive thru and when I realized they only sold Pepsi products, I've ordered my food, then gone to ANOTHER fast food place to get my Coke! icon_lol.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm a Coke-girl only. I actually have pulled into a fast food drive thru and when I realized they only sold Pepsi products, I've ordered my food, then gone to ANOTHER fast food place to get my Coke! icon_lol.gif

Oh my gosh, we do this all the time!!! My Hubby will go to Taco Bell to get his food then across the street to McDonald's to get me a Coke, lol!! I think Pepsi tastes like cleaning fluid, can't drink it. I used to LOVE cakes from Costco, they were the "GOOD" cakes, not so much anymore, I like mine better icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:18am
post #9 of 15

I too am a cake snob.. and hubby is too. so is MIL now that she helps me out.

we should have t-shirts made that read: cake snob and proud of it.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 15

Cake snobs UNITE!

Where I work they also used to buy sheet cakes for special events, like Debi's husband's work place does. They stopped doing this because: no one eats cake, no one likes cake, and no one wants cake, there is soooo much cake left over.
There are special occasions where I just think we need a cake, so I will bake and bring in the cake(s) always providing more than they used to purchase, and yes, suddenly coworkers will find me to whine, "I didn't get cake! There wasn't enough! We love cake." Yeah-secret cake snobs all!

BTW-I work at a very friendly place and the whining reflects the trusting, close relationship we have with each other, the kind of "you can say anything" not a inconsiderate criticism.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 15

funcakes, one place I worked they paid me to bring in the monthly birthday cake. At one point, they are reviewing their expenses and the office called me with questions about the cake pricing. I reminded them that my cakes included delivery (walmart didn't deliver) and when they brought in a walmart cake, there was always leftover cake at 2:00 in the afternoon, but my cakes were gone by 10:30 a.m., which I knew to be true because co-workers complained that I needed to bring in bigger cakes!

"So I understand that you need to watch expenses, but if you're doing this for the employees, then you should measure if you're willing to spend less on something no one wants to eat and that you're going to throw in the trash .... or if you're going to spend a little more for the employees on something they like and enjoy and doesn't go to waste."

When all was said and done, they continued to pay me to make those cakes! thumbs_up.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 15

What Indydebi said is so true. This has happened to me numerous times. Bringing in or sending a cake to a workplace, where it is gone the moment it gets cut, people wandering halls looking for that wayward piece! And then there's the people who didn't get to come to the initial cake cutting, raising holy madness and crying "but I didnt' get any!" Now....THAT....gives ME....the warm fuzzies! icon_lol.gif

Then when they "cheap'n up" and go all Costco or Safeway for their cakes, they dump out most of the leftover cake a few days later! Yuck! tapedshut.gif

So does that mean I am the cake snob....or *them*! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #13 of 15

I'm not a complete snob yet. I doubt I ever will be. icon_sad.gif I still love Costo's carrot cake (they lace the cream cheese filling with crack, I'm convinced of this) and Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes will forever be a nostalgic childhood guilty pleasure.

BUT, I can't even look at grocery store cakes (unless it's to find submissions for Cake Wrecks icon_lol.gif ) and I've spoiled everyone I know!

A couple weeks back I was given a cupcake from the local Fry's(Kroger) and I could not finish it. It felt like I had a mouthful of grease. >_< Life's too short to waste it on yucky food!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #14 of 15

I'm mommicakes and I too am a cake snob. icon_surprised.gif

Indy: We do the drive thru food order thing too.

What gets me is when the kids have a thing at school, and they tell me about it at dinnertime, and say:

"mom, I will understand if you are mad at me, but we had a party at school today, and I had some of that other kind of cake.".

Or sometimes they say, "we are having something at school and do you think it will be okay if I have some of the cake?"

I have to laugh my butt off, they are so cute. I don't do many sweets, breathing the ps gets into me enough.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

What gets me is when the kids have a thing at school, and they tell me about it at dinnertime, and say:

"mom, I will understand if you are mad at me, but we had a party at school today, and I had some of that other kind of cake.".

Haha, I tell my daughter that she SHOULD eat some of the crappy birthday cake at parties, if only to be polite! She comes home and says "I looked at the cake and it was from (enter name of grocery store here), so I didn't have any. It looked nasty." At least she just says "no thank you" she doesn't comment on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%