Covering Carrot Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Charmed Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm by dchockeyguy

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 8

I was planning to make a carrot cake and iced it in traditional cream cheese icing and cover it in fondant and then I read that people had problems with oil oozing beneath the fondant and some other stuff. now I don't know what to do...Help!!

7 replies
jjaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjaj Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 8

I recently covered a carrot cake in fondant, but i used buttercream. I didn't have any problems with it, but i don't know anything about using cream cheese icing. sorry =(

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

I have used cream cheese buttercream (added cream cheese to basic butter/shortening icing) on carrot cake and covered it in fondant without oozing stuffs. I'll be doing another tomorrow night for a Saturday wedding as well. I wonder why the oil oozing issue with a carrot cake but not with other cakes that call for oil (some chocolate cakes...)...

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 8

I would do it with a white chocolate ganache and chill it well. I'm in love with ganache under fondant and don't want to go back to buttercream, ever!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

what I read was that there is an enzyme in cream cheese that reacts with fondant and causes the oozing. I will have to do more search about it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

I've used cream cheese icing under fondant a few times with no problems. I have used the recipe from designmeacake. I used the cream cheese buttercream.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 8

I have only made one carrot cake an covered it in fondant. I iced it with a cream cheese buttercream and had no problems.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

I LOVE carrot cake and often make it for myself (I dont' ever seem to get requests for it). I've never had a problem using cream cheese icing and fondant. I've never heard about the emzyne thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%