Mmf Problems

Decorating By millux Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm by APieceofCake75

millux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millux Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:39am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone! C: I decided to try & make some MMF yesterday for the first time. I'm a complete newbie to cakes/decorating/everything! But, I made the MMF & I kneaded it into a nice pliable dough-type structure, but when I rolled it out & tried to pick it up it to put on my cake it just fell apart! It was as if it was like.. hmm.. I don't know what was wrong with it really. It was just not right, you know? I had watched soo many videos & the texture was just wrong. I tried adding more sugar to see if I could make it less sticky & a little firmer but it made no difference whatsoever, even after multiple cups! I'm going to try making it again but I'm not sure what I can do to stop it from getting so fragile & ripping? Any tips? Thanks! C:

Oh & I used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe! C:

11 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 12

I usually make MFF. But am trying MMF for the first time today myself. So I'll be interested to hear the responses. Did you maybe use jet puffed marshmallows by accident?

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 12

Did you let the MMF set for a day before you used it? Generally if it is too sticky you add more sugar. What recipe did you use? How did you pick it up? I don't think it matters if you used jet puffed, I use whatever is on sale.

millux Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 12

Good luck with it! C: Yup, I definitely didn't use jet-puffed ones.. I wonder what the problem was..

millux Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yums

Did you let the MMF set for a day before you used it? Generally if it is too sticky you add more sugar. What recipe did you use? How did you pick it up? I don't think it matters if you used jet puffed, I use whatever is on sale.

I let it set for a few hours, do you think that could have been the problem? I did add more sugar & it made no difference to the overall texture to it. ): I used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe & I picked it up with a little bit of crisco on my hands. C:

artscallion Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yums

... I don't think it matters if you used jet puffed, I use whatever is on sale.

I ask that because all the recipes I've seen listed here specifically warn not to use jet puffed, including the recipe the OP mentions using. Anyone have any insight into that?

artscallion Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 12

Well, I just made a batch. It was a breeze to make and came out perfectly...the same feel as MFF. Tasted great. now will have to see how it performs once rested. If it covers a cake well and passes a few other tests, I'll probably switch to it. It just comparably way too easy to make.

Question: All the recipes I see call for 16oz of marshmallow. I can only find 10.5oz bags. Is this a regional thing? I guess I could double the recipe as 3 bags would come very close to being right for that. Or I could just figure out a one bag recipe and go from there.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 12

I would let it rest longer, I usually let it sit for a couple days. But I also don't use Rhonda's recipe. I just use marshmallow,water and sugar. I couldn't find 16 oz bags of marsh. either so I use recipe as is other than less marshmallows. I read Rhonda's and didn't see anything about jet puffed or heard anything about not using them before this. The recipe I use says to use "a good brand" of marsh. and where I live it is Jet-puffed or store brand. Very interesting.........I guess maybe personal preference.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 12

You know I just noticed the same thing the other day when buying marshmellows.. 10.5 oz bag. but looked around and they did have the bigger 16oz size too different bin. I think it was only Kraft.. The store Brand was all 16 oz bags.. I make MMF and have found the the Kraft MM's make the best fondant.. I used other brands but get the stickey fondant maybe its freshness of the MM's? I don'T know ... I also add just a bit of Wedding cake flavoring to my fondant and cant keep people out of my fondant! haha

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 12

I started making MMF recently and I used a recipe from a good friend but found that it wasn't as pliable as I would want it... so I tweaked it and sub some of the water with glycerin.... results=great MMF.. very pliable... easy to work with... no elephant skin... no need to rush to when rolling... you can take your time "fitting" it to the cake and it won't dry up or tear on you... I use whatever is on sale also.... but I did notice that adding glycerin was the magic touch it needed...
With SI... I was geting elephant skin all the time and need it to work really fast after rolling it to avoid any cracks or it looking dry...

hth

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

I use 8 1/2 cups in my MMF recipe (also have trouble finding the 16 oz bags and did a Google on it early on to convert into cups instead) and it always turns out. I also use Kraft Jet-puffed and have no problems. I do, however, run into the "elephant skin" that dalis4joe is talking about and will definitely have to try adding glycerin. Thanks for the tip!

APieceofCake75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake75 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 12

I had problems with Rhonda's MMF recipe as well. So I tweaked my own version. Then when the bags went from 16oz to 10oz. I corrected my recipe. All of my fondant cakes are covered with my recipe. I never have had a problem. And all of my customers love it. I haven't put it in the recipe section yet but I'll post it here:

1/3 C shortening
8 C confectioner sugar (approx)
(2) 10oz bags of mini marshmallows
2.5 TBL water
2 TSP lemon juice (cuts down on sweetness)
2.5 TSP your choice flavoring (I've been using wedding bouquet)
pinch of salt
1/4 TSP tylose power (helps with pliabilty)

1) spray dough hook, utensils, mixing bowl, and microwave safe bowl with cooking spray.
2) In microwave safe bowl add marschmallows, water, flavoring(s), lemon juice, and salt..Cook about 2 min. Stirring occasionally.
3) Put marshmallow mixture in mixing bowl, add tylose powder and shortening. Turn mixer on speed 1 until shortening is blended.
4) Slowly add sugar. Mix until dough-like forms. But don't over mix.
5) When done, spray saran wrap with cooking spray and wrap fondant and let rest for a few hours.

When you're ready to use fondant. I microwave it for a few seconds to soften up. Knead several times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%