How Do I Mail A Cake?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 6:23am by Jeep_girl816

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 11

This may have been discussed before. Can't find it if it has.

How do people ship cakes? My dad is retiring in about a month. He lives in Idaho. I live in Georgia. I am dying to make his retirement cake, but can't get out there. Same situation w/ my grandpa who is turning 90. He is in Utah. I can't make the family reunion/b-day celebration. Is there any way I can ship a cake? PLEASE....ANY info will help. I need the detail by detail how to ship. What would you limit your cake shape, size and decorations to? What kind of packing?

I have seen small fondant covered cakes shipped but I haven't the slightest where to begin!

10 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 11

I did this once, and it was disastrous. The thread is still there, buried somewhere back in the Cake Disasters forum.

People told me that the only way this really works is with counter-to-counter service at the airport.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 11

Unless you use counter-to-counter ($$$$$) you'll probably have problems. The only other option is to do a bundt style cake shipped in a metal tin.

amberkw Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 11

Hm. Scratch that. Thanks much!!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 11

I made a cake several years ago for a guy who shipped by FedEx from Iowa to Denver to his brother and said it made it in perfect condition. I have no idea what it cost or how it was handled but I am sure it was not cheap!!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-563981-0-days0-orderasc-mailed.html

This is a very informative thread on mailing cakes. I mailed two cakes: 1 about 700 miles and 1 about 300. They BOTH arrived in perfect condition and were received very deliciously! Make sure to use a good, stury cake recipe (I used the WASC with rolled buttercream). Make sure your packaging is perfect.

It CAN be done, if done proper! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

amberkw Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 11

WOuld you mind sharing that link again? It didn't work when I clicked on it. Thanks!!!!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #8 of 11

It didn't work for either.. but I do ship cakes and they come out perfect but I only ship ones with fondant on them.. I am curious to see how someone shipped a cake with buttercream on it.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kima920

It didn't work for either.. but I do ship cakes and they come out perfect but I only ship ones with fondant on them.

Kima920, would you mind sharing your packaging tips for shipping? My dad lives in California and I live in FL, and he's never had one of my decorated cakes. I would SO love to send one to him!!! I've always felt like by the time it arrived, it would look like I frosted the inside of the box!

I assume fondant would work better, do you only do 1 tier? Any fondant bows or accents?? I guess I'm asking just how simple would the cake need to be to mail successfully? How do you pack it? What shipping service do you use??

Any info would be so helpful!!!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:58am
post #10 of 11

Sure! I have shipped 2 tiered cake before with no problem. I always send them overnight because most of the time they are only going to the next state. I did have to send two cakes to Virginia from PA and they arrived with no problems. I have sent cakes with bows and other accents as well. I don't think a cake with gumpaste flowers will work because the flowers might break during transit since they are so fragile. I normally freeze the cake once I am done with decorating it. I leave it in the at least a day. Then right before I take it to be shipped. I take it out, wrap it in plastic wrap really good. The I put the cake in a cake box and then place bubble wrap all around the cake in the box to make the cake sit snug in the box without movement. Now if the cake is taller than the cake box, I just cut the top off and still bubble wrap the bottom portion. Next I place the cake box in a shipping box. I place the box right in the middle of the shipping boxes and surround that box with more bubble wrap and then I add in packing peanuts. I also make sure it is taped up really well and I write on the box fragile and this side up. I only use FedEx because I have never had a problem with them delivering my cakes. I also tell them to place fragile on the shipping label as well. Now if you are shipping to CA I would also suggest that you put some of those freeze packs in the cake box with the cake or around the cake after you put it in the shipping box. That way it will keep the cake cold. Don't use cream cheese in the cake as a buttercream or filler because you don't want to make your dad sick. Some people say you can' freeze fondant but I do all the time. Also the company Amoretti has a new fondant line that is prefect for freezing because condensation doesn't form on the fondant and it taste pretty good too. I hope that helps!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:23am
post #11 of 11

Good to know, I may have to try this with some of my family. I mean the worst is they'll get a kinda mooshed, ugly, but still probably yummy cake. Still pretty win to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%